Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-09-2004, 09:24 PM   #1
sq764
EIG

Sox/Yanks

Well, it's the matchup everyone wanted, and we all got it..

Let the fun begin on Tuesday..
sq764 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
andicap

You gotta root for the Astros in the NL no matter who wins in the AL.

Clemens vs. the BoSox -- that's almost enough for me to root for Boston. (I said, "almost.")

Or Clemens vs. the Yankees...the team he "retired" on.

Wow!!! Also be nice for Bagwell, Biggio to finally get into the WS. They're getting a bit long in the tooth. Great storyline too with the Killer Bs, (Berkman and Beltran as well).

Also, if its Houston-Boston, well, don't we have an election right after the World Series between Texas and Massachusetts?

Cardinals-Yankees and Cards-Red Sox have great tradition on their side. The Cards beat the Yanks in 7 in '64 and they have played 5 Series in all with the Cards holdig a 3-2 edge including the famous '26 game with a hung-over aging Grover Alexander struck out Lazzeri with the bases full in relief.
Trivia question, how did the '26 Series end?

Cards-Sox of course go back to '46 and '67,

A coincidence: Cards won '64 and '67 Series in 7 games after both losing games elected to bring back their starts after two days rest and it backfired. (Stottlemyre and Lonborg.)
Old 10-09-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
Suff
Beat up 💪

Sox In 5. Bank it!

Lets get it on.

It's going to be a great few weeks for Boston. First we'll Crank out a World Series Championship, Then we'll crank out a new President... and just for Good measure we'll get the party started tommorrow when the PATS win 19 in a row and break that record... Shit, they'll probably go on and bring us another Super Bowl Championship again this year.... Its a Great time to be a liberal Loving, Baseball Loving, Championship Loving Democrat from Boston MA....:o .. ... ..
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2004, 07:20 AM   #4
sq764
EIG

Well Suff, I hope you are 1 for 3 in your predictions..

(Fill in Eagles where you put New England and Bush where you put Kerry and we agree 100%)
Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #5
TOOZ

I don't bet baseball, but I'm going to bet the Sox for the series.
Everyone busted their balls because they didn't get Alex. No one mentions that they had the best free agent move in a long, long time. Their time has come.
TOOZ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2004, 08:09 AM   #6
sq764
EIG

1 game at a time, that's how it has to be taken.. Just want a good start from Schilling in game one.
Old 10-10-2004, 08:32 AM   #7
andicap

I like the Yankees chances even tho Boston is playing extremely well, has an improved defense and one of the best offenses in the league to go with Schilling who kills the Yankees.

Beyond Schilling the Sox are thin. Pedro is psyched out vs. the Yankees and then you have Arroyo, Wakefield and Lowe.

Yanks have Mussina as sacrificial lamb to Schilling but Lieber is pitching OK and if his sinker is on he'll keep the ball in the park and keep the games close.
Brown is also pitching much better now that he has realized that he can't throw the ball 95 MPH anymore and must be more of a pitcher rather than a thrower.

Team defense is about the same with both having strenghts and weaknesses. Sox are much improved here tho.

I think the Series will be won or lost in the bullpens and not just the closers.

Question: How does Bosox middle relief stack up?

Yanks are fair. Gordon is lights out but there's not much besides him. Sturtze has been a pleasant surprise but he's inexperienced. Quantrill has slumped since the break and of course Riveria is a great closer.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
sq764
EIG

I can agree with most of your points there.. I think the bullpens are very key in this series.. There are no givens, which is the beauty of the series..

Foulke has been very shaky of late and has a penchant for the homerun ball. Rivera is very beatable and the Sox beating him twice this year means they won't fear him.

Defenses are good on both ends, picking up Cabrerra was huge for the Sox (good riddance No-Ma).. The Yanks defense is very solid too.

I think the Sox have more offensive weapons and a better overall offense, but the Yanks have enough offense to match the Sox..

Some questions for the series:

- does Pedro step up like he did against the Angels or let the Yanks get the best of him

- Can A-rod stay hot like he was against Minnesota, or does his regular season slump of hitting with runners in scoring position rear it's ugly head again

- Will Brown throw like he did against Minnesota or will he be in for another outing like the last one against the Sox

- Will Timlim be able to hold a lead?? He is a HUGE key in the series

- Will Jeter shake his awful game 4 performance against the Twins? I have no doubt

- And the biggest points - Can the Sox shut down Sox-killer Matsui? Can the Yanks shut down the Ramirez/Ortiz train?

Should be a fun series..

My prediction: A great series
Old 10-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #9
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Watch out Sox fans...this is the EVIL EMPIRE we are talking about here.

Did you see the way the empire CRUSHED the dreams of Twins fans everywhere, being up 5-1 with their best pitcher on the mound?

Hell, they had the plane to NY loaded and ready to go, but alas and alak, those homer hankies were put to better use in the end.

DREAM CRUSHERS....bank on it!!! LOL
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #10
sq764
EIG

I will certainly reserve my comments until after the series..

Me thinks PA is not as confident as he leads to believe :-)
Old 10-10-2004, 01:07 PM   #11
sq764
EIG

100 win seasons

This is a weird stat:

Since 1995, 13 teams have reached the postseason in a 100-win year. Only one of them won the World Series -- the 1998 Yankees.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:58 PM   #12
kenwoodallpromos

SQ

How many 100ers lost playoffs?
Old 10-12-2004, 09:11 PM   #13
sq764
EIG

Oh well, I knew something has to go awry :-)

Schilling is hurt bad and what a horrible time for this to happen.. I don't get why they are leaving him in there hurt..
Old 10-12-2004, 09:44 PM   #14
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

He's pitched with this injury for a while now, or so they say.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2004, 09:50 PM   #15
sq764
EIG

not sure, looked like he did it in the game against the Angels when he threw the ball away.. He definitely didn't look like he was right tonight..