Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #1
Immortal6

Peter Pan Stakes

Looks like a highly competitive field for today's Peter Pan. Would like to get others thoughts on the race.

Core Beliefs: Big fig from the SA Derby where the finished 3rd ahead of 4th place Derby finisher Instilled Regard. Hope he takes a lot of money as the 2-1 ML favorite as I can't find a way to use him in the top 2 spots.

Zing Zang: Only one top 3 finish in 7 life time starts for the ass-man. Looking at his bris figs he is as consistent a runner as you could ask for, will the "cut back" to one turn and a jock change to the always dangerous Irad Ortiz Jr. equal a new life time top? Possibly, but even so I have a hard time seeing a top two finish here.

Just Whistle: This son of Pioneerof The Nile just broke his maiden at Keeneland by riding the rail in what I would consider a perfect trip. He was 2nd two back by a half length to the highly regarded Hofburg. Seems to be the wise guy horse and will likely go off below his 5-1 ML odds. Could win it, but not with my money.

Blended Citizen: The Derby AE didn't draw in and I think that was a great thing for him as he meets a field today that is right in his wheelhouse. He was last seen finishing 5th in the Bluegrass. I think he needs a bit of a slower pace today to win, and at 6-1 on the ML this Doug O'Neill trainee is my pick.

High North: Red Hot Brad Cox trains this winner of the Norther Spur at Oaklawn. A recent sharp work at CD give me hope this horse is hitting his best stride but his results against stakes company (5th in Risen Star, 7th in Rebel) make me second guess how good he really is. Can see him setting the pace and holding on for piece.

Gotta Go: A horse that I think will love that this race is run around one turn. Although he broke slow and was shuffled far back in the 14 horse field in the Bluegrass, he should get a cleaner trip here and have a good chance to close well. He finished a length ahead of Diamond King in the Swale and actually beat two pretty decent horses in Lone Sailor and Bravazo in the Street Sense back in October. 15-1 on the ML? Yes please. Absolute must use in my book.

So now we get to how to bet the race...As I stated above, I think that Blended Citizen is the most battle tested, and should be in good position to close into a modest pace. Win bet if I can get 3-1. Going to have to dutch with the Gotta Go if he goes off at better than 10-1.

Exotics: / / ALL
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Looks like a race between the and .

Gotta a feeling you are right in that the and will likely be overbet by who they have ran against. That SA Derby does look pretty strong though.

Right with you on the Blended Citizen at 4/1 or better.

Could get a couple of decent contenders for the Belmont Stakes out of this one.

is interesting in that he may well inherit the lead. His two best races have been when he is right there at 2nd call. He could be tough if the fractions are dawdling.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 05-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 12:46 PM   #3
clicknow

I think it will be raining by post time, not sure how much.

I like High North here to keep on winning.

But if it rains enough I'll play ex or tri box w/out him to try out a new angle I have been playing around with: zing zang, just whistle, blended citizen, gotta go.

Agree about Gotta Go.

Last edited by clicknow; 05-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #4
Secondbest

Well we have a full field of six for a 350 thousand grade 3 race. Where did all the horses go?
I'm goiing with the 6 High North. Cox put blinkers on last out and he responded with a new top. Also the workout pattern changed with 2 five furlongs since the last race.
I will only play win at 7/2 or better.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
GMB@BP

I played High North in my contest plays but this race feels wide open. The 1 was really helped by that scratch of the 5.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
Robert Fischer
clean money

opinion and a good fiddy dollas

Core Beliefs: Solid horse. Should probably hit the board. Won a mediocre maiden race and then never factored in the Santa Anita Derby. No reason to 'toss', but seems like enough underlay to lean against.

Zing Zang: Wildcard. Of all the 'class moves' in this race, I feel this is the most significant. My Boy Jack would be (underlayed at) 9/5 in this field, Zing Zang figures to show a good response and Irad Ortiz will give it a try.

Just Whistle: A touch sluggish on the backstretch, but he'll run a good race chasing.

Blended Citizen: I'm not a fan. I suppose it's possible that he's in peaking condition, but his workouts were not enough to sway me. Had 'derby fever' but ducked the Preakness ??

High North: Razor sharp. Blinkers and the class drop did the trick last time. He seems like the deserving favorite.

Gotta Go: Not a fan.

50cent Trifecta Box; $12

50cent Trifecta Box's; , / , /ALL ($4) , / ALL / , ($4) $8
50cent TrifectaBox over the over $2

$18
WIN on HIGH NORTH
$10 WIN on ZING ZANG

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-12-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Two horse race for me - or

should get 2nd or third

Rest are throw outs.
Old 05-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Another hit for LoneF as slow socal horses ran 1-2.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Robert Fischer
clean money

Nice call on the
Old 05-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #10
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Nice call on the
Thanks Robert, I respect your handicapping takes so when you weren't so high on Blended Citizen it had me sweating it a little bit!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Nice call on the
It was a nice call.......out of the 3 of them.....that's the one you want on top.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
letswastemoney

Put Gotta Go in a sprint or one-turn mile at most. That horse will never be a good router.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2018, 10:05 PM   #13
Immortal6

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
It was a nice call.......out of the 3 of them.....that's the one you want on top.
Thanks. You had some good input before the race, great analysis.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
Thomas Roulston

Too bad Blended Citizen isn't bred for a mile and a half: No stamina-wing representation, and inbred 3x5 to Mr. Prospector. Yuck!
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #15
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Too bad Blended Citizen isn't bred for a mile and a half: No stamina-wing representation, and inbred 3x5 to Mr. Prospector. Yuck!
He does have the Raise A Native sire line/Northern Dancer dam sire line nick which was a red hot Belmont combination prior to Tapit progeny taking over. I won't dismiss but do like others more.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: