Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #61
Wickel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Santa Fe Downs (1971-1975). Bankruptcy.
Then opens as Downs at Santa Fe. (1975-1984)
Again opened for short time in the late 90's.

One of the few (closed) race tracks that I have visited/driven past. The old track sign off the freeway was in really bad shape when I went in 2013. Anyhow.. the random trivia about this track is that GG and Mike Smith scored their first victories here and also Real Quiet (yes, THAT Real Quiet) raced here twice!
Most of these details were from wiki entry which I had memorized last year
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Downs_at_Santa_Fe
The Wikipedia entry for The Downs at Santa Fe is mostly correct, but confusing. The track indeed opened in 1971, but had a straight run through 1997. There were bankruptcies and ownership changes, but The Downs never missed a season during that span. Pojoaque Pueblo bought the track in 1996 (I believe) and showcased the inaugural (and only) Indian Nation Futurity Cup in 1997, then the second-richest 2-year-old race after the Breeders Cup Juvenile. Grady, trained by California-based Randy Bradshaw won the race. General Gem, with Pat Val aboard, finished second and Real Quiet was third. The track closed after the season due to financial difficulties and has not reopened since. I know a lot of this info because I worked for the local newspaper as a sportswriter/copy editor from 1974-1988 and, of course, the track was one of my beats.

Also, La Mesa Park in Raton (near Colorado border) closed its doors in the early 1990s, and San Juan Downs closed in the late '90s and later reopened as refurbished SunRay Park at the same location.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 02:09 PM   #62
BlinkersOn

Yakima Downs closed. I used to love going there. Les Bois in Boise, ID closed for 3-4 years, and then finally reopened for just a mo. out of the year.
BlinkersOn is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #63
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by banacek
And I've been to the Polo Park Mall and the Lansdowne Park Shopping Centre. Must be a common pattern.
Malls occupy the land on which Roosevelt Raceway and Brandywine Raceway occupied.
Where Sportsmans Park once sat there is now a Walmart and undeveloped land adjacent to it.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #64
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Every now and then I drive by in the laurel area on rt 1 freestate raceway......would love some info on that place of anybody has any stories
It closed in 1990 after 41 years in operation. Started out with the name "Laurel Raceway"....When purchased in 1980 by Frank De Francis bought the track he changed the name to Free State Raceway.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #65
FocusWiz

I don't think this was mentioned, but it is at the very least a sad footnote about horse racing. A quarter horse track known as Suffolk Meadows (AKA Parr Meadows) opened and closed twice in a 10 year period in the latter part of the 20th century in the eastern part of Long Island. I am not sure if they quite completed two meets during that timeframe.

Last edited by FocusWiz; 09-22-2014 at 10:30 PM.
FocusWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #66
Ocala Mike

Race Tracks That Have Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusWiz

I don't think this was mentioned, but it is at the very least a sad footnote about horse racing. A quarter horse track known as Suffolk Meadows (AKA Parr Meadows) opened and closed twice in a 10 year period in the latter part of the 20th century in the eastern part of Long Island. I am not sure if they quite completed two meets during that timeframe.
Yes, mentioned quite a few posts back:

"Don't forget NY State quarter horse tracks:

Tioga Downs - Opemed 1976, Closed 1978 (but reincarnated as Tioga Park, a harness track).

Parr Meadows - Opemed May, 1977 and closed a few months later (but reincarnated as Suffolk Meadows).

Suffolk Meadows - Opemed May, 1986 and closed a few months later for good."
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #67
parshooter

Spokane, WA

I believe Playfair was the name of track in Spokane, WA that is no longer in use and I haven't seen mentioned
parshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply