Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #46
acorn54

i guess i'll chime in with my observations and my experience on using jcapper
i have been using it since november of 2004. i have found it useful in analyzing the various factors found in the tsn datafiles i use. i must say it took me off the path i was handicapping with. i was using alot of william quirin's research before using jcapper and with the analysis that jcapper allows i was able to see that what quirin found valid in handicapping was no longer valid.
i can't say that jcapper has given me the road to riches. i had one good year in 2006 when i bet with pinnacle and got a 7 percent rebate. in 2007 and 2008 using solely jcapper i showed a 2 percent loss in both years. this is i am sure much much less of a loss than i would have shown without the use of the jcapper software.
jeff goes the extra mile in assisting his customers and is a stand up guy that never ceases to try to improve upon his software and is very generous with allowing others to partake in his research.
i am sure there are other software out there that are good and to be honest i have thought of trying them but what keeps me with jcapper is the fact that i can accumulate datafiles at such a low cost using the tsn advantage plan.
other software i have considered such as htr by ken massa would double my expenses and i would only subscribe to something like htr if i was pretty sure my results would be dramatically different than what i get with jcapper.
acorn54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #47
chickenhead
Lacrimae rerum

This thread is my hero
chickenhead is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 AM   #48
mikejlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn54
other software i have considered such as htr by ken massa would double my expenses and i would only subscribe to something like htr if i was pretty sure my results would be dramatically different than what i get with jcapper.
Acorn, I agree that using tsn is probably the least expensive source for files and the added cost to use HTR is understandable.

I used HTR for a time and quit because I couldn't afford to keep up with the cost of files. Comparing JCapper to HTR would be a tough call to make because both are very nice programs. Jeff is great with customer support and always trying to improve and I am happy with JCapper. The same can be said about Ken Massa trying to improve his program and his support is great just like Jeff's. I know that you weren't being critical of Ken Massa but since his name was mentioned, I just threw in my $0.02...
mikejlb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 01:38 AM   #49
ProResearch
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
Well at least you came clean.
Not sure what you mean by clean. Cause I used my different username to give opinions about Jcapper? Someone once told me that if you talk even a little negative about ANY "paid PA advertiser" you might get banned immediately so just in case I used the Tipster ID. But never would of believed it if I didn't see it for myself. And what is funny going back over my few posts I wasn't really even that negative as I wanted to be. That alone should tell you something that any forum even when listed as "public forum" that relys on paid advertising is always at the mercy of advertisers. Hey can you blame them someone gotta pay the bills?
ProResearch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #50
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProResearch
Not sure what you mean by clean. Cause I used my different username to give opinions about Jcapper? Someone once told me that if you talk even a little negative about ANY "paid PA advertiser" you might get banned immediately so just in case I used the Tipster ID. But never would of believed it if I didn't see it for myself.
Completely and totally not true.

There have been PLENTY of NEGATIVE THINGS posted about PLENTY of advertisers.

Ask YOUBET when they were advertising. Ask DAVE SCHWARTZ of HSH. Ask HOOVESPLAYS.com when they were advertising.

The list goes ON AND ON. I have NEVER discouraged ANYONE from posting honest opinions about products or services they have tried. That goes for ADVERTISERS and non-advertisers alike. And if you want to post something OTHER than opinion, well, you're going to have to BACK IT UP with proof.

Opinion is one thing. Trying to pass off facts without evidence to back it up is a totally different animal.

Finally, people who sign up under MULTIPLE user names (which is prohibited on this board) get no quarter from me, regardless of the content of their message.

Now go cry on another forum about how PaceAdvantage bans anyone who says anything negative about an advertiser....as if anyone cares to listen to your bullshit.

Then tell those same people to run a search on YouBet or hoovesplays.com or Dave Schwartz/HSH or any other advertiser that has been criticized on this board.

You're a proven teller of tall tales (negative posts about advertisers do NOT get deleted, except in your case) and a fraud to boot.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-22-2009 at 01:52 AM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 07:44 AM   #51
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The fact that your hide between multiple names says all I need to know about you. Internet "hide and go seek" is for children and morons. Which do you prefer I call you?

You would have fit in on the Old Yahoo forum - lots of nuts, little salt.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #52
dvlander

For the Record

I remember the JCapper board in those days when Tipster et al was posting endlessly. Jeff put up with the crap much, much longer than any of the rest of us would have before banning him. If my memory serves me correctly, Jeff was willing to accept all the negative banter if it was factual, honest and forthright. However, when Tipster hijacked multiple threads to bitch about a suggestion he didn't think was moving quickly enough and then started another new thread about it, Jeff had his fill.

I know from my perspective as a JCapper user, I cringed every time I saw another new thread or post from Tipster. From his own posts in this thread, I think it's clear that he wanted to demo JCapper endlessly to steal ideas. The JCapper board has been a much happier place since his demise.

Hopefully, he and all of his aliases will now disappear from view forever.

Dale
dvlander is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 05:21 PM   #53
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipster
Believe me that was not a real zinger and held back big time what I really think cause didn't want to be so rude about a "decent software program". But I knew you the "protector of Jcapper" will post your useless two cents sooner or later.
Yep, I am useless..........but remember......when I run my wagering report.......it comes up positive.........on the ROI side........with Jcapper.......that's all that counts.

Take off the mask and tell us who you really are.........
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #54
Warren Henry
Once/Always

He is a parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Yep, I am useless..........but remember......when I run my wagering report.......it comes up positive.........on the ROI side........with Jcapper.......that's all that counts.

Take off the mask and tell us who you really are.........
He is a parasite. Takes advantage of demo versions of expensive software in order to steal the good ideas and concepts. Never makes a positive contribution to the handicapping community. Justifies his actions by knocking decent products and people.

As a former software developer/merchant, I recognized his style immediately. If any of my software ever "passed over his desk" years ago, I bet I have him flagged in my database as a customer type DB.

The most important software is between your ears
Warren Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 06:49 PM   #55
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I'm surprised he didn't pull the ol' tried but true "I was able to reverse-engineer or decompile the Jcapper source code and lift the few good ideas contained within" bullshit...maybe that's coming next...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #56
Toss_DeLoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlander
I remember the JCapper board in those days when Tipster et al was posting endlessly. Jeff put up with the crap much, much longer than any of the rest of us would have before banning him. If my memory serves me correctly, Jeff was willing to accept all the negative banter if it was factual, honest and forthright. However, when Tipster hijacked multiple threads to bitch about a suggestion he didn't think was moving quickly enough and then started another new thread about it, Jeff had his fill.

I know from my perspective as a JCapper user, I cringed every time I saw another new thread or post from Tipster. From his own posts in this thread, I think it's clear that he wanted to demo JCapper endlessly to steal ideas. The JCapper board has been a much happier place since his demise.

Hopefully, he and all of his aliases will now disappear from view forever.

Dale
Dale what you posted is absolutely dead-on. Jeff either has the patience of a Monk or some better drugs than I.

I'm a VERY happy JCamper since 5/05.

JackB
Toss_DeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #57
formula_2002
what an easy game.

the structure of Jcapper would make it an excellent class study for any advance statistical course.

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #58
bettheoverlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_2002
the structure of Jcapper would make it an excellent class study for any advance statistical course.
I had to laugh when I read this, its so true. I've just spent about 6 hours each the last 3 nights, modelling the upcoming Saratoga meet using JCappers Data Window, the most addictive thing I have ever encountered. I seem to be living there.

Last edited by bettheoverlay; 07-28-2009 at 10:41 PM.
bettheoverlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 PM   #59
baldvin

Please someone telling me what is this JCapper!!

How you can make living using this? I have no idea what it do.

Thank you!
baldvin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #60
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I'm surprised he didn't pull the ol' tried but true "I was able to reverse-engineer or decompile the Jcapper source code and lift the few good ideas contained within" bullshit...maybe that's coming next...

I'm not sure why that's "bullshit". Assuming that somebody has programming knowledge in the first place, the right decompiler (IDA, for example) will work on most programs, and if deobfuscation is necessary after that, it's mostly grunt work (although it can be very lengthy in some cases). That doesn't mean that I support or decry Tipster or anybody else.

I also tried JCapper, and while I only used the trial, I fed a lot of data into it and gave it as extensive a test as the trial period allowed. Everything I came up with was, at best, in the 0.88 to 0.93 range, without odds or morning line qualifiers. True that limiting plays to horses with a morning line of 12-1 or higher produced a small positive ROI, but the win perentage was below the 10% threshold "comfort level" for me. Similar results can be gotten from factors in HTR and HSH.

Using tote odds qualifiers works a bit better IN RESEARCH, since the off odds are known when backtesting. Using odds qualifiers in practice is another matter, because as we all know, the 5-1 shot that we put into our conditional queue to be bet with 30 seconds to go can drop down to 3-1 after the horses leave the gate. Naturally the odds can also go up, but they seem to drop more often than they rise, probably because a lot of others are doing the same general thing (through automation or manual observation).

I'm not saying that JCapper won't and/or can't produce UDM's that show a positive ROI. If they're there, I didn't find them. To be fair, I haven't found any (save those mentioned above) in HTR, HSH, or Netcapper, either.

As always, you have to do the work if you expect to win. In fairness, JCapper does look like a product that CAN be used profitably, assuming the user is willing to do the research and also analyze each race pointed to on an individual basis.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply