Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-30-2022, 07:35 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Are you suggesting the "other" riders should retaliate by doing what he did?

And I completely agree 60 days is entirely too lenient for such a cowardly act.

For me it would be 1 year, anger Management and reimbursement for medical expenses.

Also no ARC.
No, I was thinking a slip in the shower, or maybe a "surprise" party in the parking late one day......never put the horses in jeopardy when so many things can easily break bones.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:14 PM   #17
Bullet Plane

A dastardly act of cowardice!!
Bullet Plane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 02:10 AM   #18
snappit

This has caused a lot of outrage over here in Europe. 60 days is absolutely nothing especially as we are approaching the end of the flat season. It was clearly a deliberate act which could easily have resulted in serious injury or worse. The shame is Soumillon is actually a really good rider and has no need to do this sort of thing.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 07:10 AM   #19
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This jerk should get a lifetime ban AND a a prison sentence.
60 days is joke.

Other riders should "arrange" a long vacation for him.
I 100% agree. The racing officials or stewards should also get lifetime bans for such a disgraceful decision. If the jockey ended up with a career ending injury or actually got killed it would have been a different decision and that’s the problem. It happens with race fixing as well. Laughable penalties for someone you could never trust doing the right thing again. I hope when that jockey comes off of suspension the owners and trainers black list him.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 08:53 AM   #20
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
This has caused a lot of outrage over here in Europe. 60 days is absolutely nothing especially as we are approaching the end of the flat season. It was clearly a deliberate act which could easily have resulted in serious injury or worse. The shame is Soumillon is actually a really good rider and has no need to do this sort of thing.
Agreed about Soumillon. Is there any kind of history of rough stuff with him? Any sense from any of the journalists over there as to what inspired it? There's no excuse for the behavior, but it sure seems a weird "out of the blue" occurrence.

French rules may be changing soon - they're all upset that they can't suspend immediately and then there was this on top of it:

Such was the severity of Soumillon's actions, the owners of Malavath have revealed they do not want him to partner their filly in Sunday's Group 1 Prix de la Foret, yet the French rules do not permit them to replace a jockey who is permitted to ride.

https://www.racingpost.com/news/arc-...ngchamp/581674
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 09:13 AM   #21
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Agreed about Soumillon. Is there any kind of history of rough stuff with him? Any sense from any of the journalists over there as to what inspired it? There's no excuse for the behavior, but it sure seems a weird "out of the blue" occurrence.
Only 3 months ago, Soumillon was banned for his winning ride in England on Vadeni in the Eclipse Stakes.

Apparently after the winning post, Soumillon was celebrating excessively and allowed his mount to drift (the turn comes up quickly after the wire at Sandown) and nearly put two horses and their riders over the fence.

I think he got around 10 days for that.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 03:28 PM   #22
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Only 3 months ago, Soumillon was banned for his winning ride in England on Vadeni in the Eclipse Stakes.

Apparently after the winning post, Soumillon was celebrating excessively and allowed his mount to drift (the turn comes up quickly after the wire at Sandown) and nearly put two horses and their riders over the fence.

I think he got around 10 days for that.
Thanks! I had forgotten about that. I'd probably characterize that as negligent rather than overtly aggressive behavior, still not what you want, but slightly more excusable.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 04:10 PM   #23
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Corey Nakatani was suspended for around 30 days (rest of Del Mar meet) when he threw Ryan Barber off his mount after the finish line. He also was ordered into anger management classes. This happened in the late 80's if memory serves.

At Hollywood Park two riders, one of them being Pincay pulled up right after the finish, dismounted and started fighting right after the finish line. As a rail bird I had a ringside seat. A couple guys from the winners circle pulled them apart. It was definitely mutual combat, they pretty much sprinted at each other. No idea what year, maybe in the mid 80's.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 05:11 PM   #24
CheckMark

At least he wasn't as bad as this

https://c.tenor.com/y72ZDTfp0bgAAAAC/slap-penguin.gif
Old 10-01-2022, 10:26 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Leon was inspired by Soumillon.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-01-2022, 10:52 PM   #26
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Leon was inspired by Soumillon.
I had a few too many this evening... that said, the loose saddle story is fairly comical.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...as_Classic_123

Last edited by Michael; 10-01-2022 at 10:57 PM.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 02:22 PM   #27
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I had a few too many this evening... that said, the loose saddle story is fairly comical.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...as_Classic_123
Just to follow up on this, he is saying the saddle slipped which is complete bs, but the decision making from the rider is wrong on several levels. You engage a horse who is a know fighter as you are going by?

You are on the 80/1 winner of the KD, pretty high profile, yet you try some low tier bush league track tactics, real smart. Good thing he lost, really good thing nothing happened to the other runner.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #28
GMB@BP

15 day suspension from CD stewards, nice to see them do the right thing because that was messed up.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:26 PM   #29
Rackon

Wendy Wooley posted a great series of head on stills in a GIF that clearly shows Leon mugging Gaffalione and HRC. Bad move with a fighter like HRC but he also impeded his own mount’s forward momentum. Glad he got a suspension. Sorry this is the conversation after those two horses ran their eyeballs out.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...l&id=598798925
Rackon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-02-2022, 07:46 PM   #30
westernmassbob

Clearly something was amiss deep in the stretch. Leon had the momentum and sure looked like he was going by. I completely buy into the saddle slipping based on his body placement..it just looks very akward…unnatural. His shift to the left was not is own doing…he didn’t guide the horse that way but his weight shifting did.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: