Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 12:54 AM   #121
Murph
Public Handicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by luisbe View Post
...and watch again the last 80 yards, he was eased before the wire. That's unbelievable!
That is what I thought, MS got off the gas at the 1/16 then wrapped him up.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #122
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
It wasn't a great ride. It was less than average ride, and just a jock on a great horse.

Just last weekend, Terra Promessa was "supposed" to be on the front end just like Arrogate today.

Ortiz got the hammer on this very site for his crap ride on TP.

Now we annoint Smith with a great ride?

Color me confused.
This is so ignorant that I have to thank PA many times over for wasting his time to respond.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 01:05 AM   #123
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
Husker is sorta correct.

In the OP race several people on here and "other well known media types" wanted Ortiz to "push her to get back in touch with the field" and was criticized when he didn't panic and let her run her race. It's just that she caused herself additional trouble because I think she was bothered when passed early.

Arrogate didn't get himself into any trouble and I agree with you that Smith didn't panic either.
Show me where anybody said this. She was never out of touch with the field. She sat a close 3rd, which should have been a clear lead.

It started out as a good thread. It's now 9 pages long. I'm near the top of page 5, and I'm done with it.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 01:23 AM   #124
Fager Fan
Veteran

Where is the chart for this race? I'm not finding it anywhere except for the rather useless chart on the DWC website.

They said at some point that the track was sealed. Was it unsealed during the day? Sealed or unsealed for the big race?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 01:57 AM   #125
wreckless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
What? No one is or was better than Jordan.
you need to re-read what he wrote.

i haven't seen as many races as most of you, but what really stood out to me was the speed at which he flew by other horses at the turns in what looked like single strides.. what an absolute beast.
wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 AM   #126
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Where is the chart for this race? I'm not finding it anywhere except for the rather useless chart on the DWC website.

They said at some point that the track was sealed. Was it unsealed during the day? Sealed or unsealed for the big race?
I put arrogate in equibase search box and the chart is blank, maybe they'll get around to it at some point.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 08:30 AM   #127
Grits

Quote:

I watched the live telecast on the NBCSports channel. In commentary, before the big race--it was stated that ... (paraphrasing) ... the track was sealed earlier this evening and has been resealed for the World Cup race.

I'm sure of hearing this as it's unusual to hear the term--resealed.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 08:36 AM   #128
Andy Asaro

“He wasn’t really tired after the race,” Baffert said.

http://www.drf.com/news/arrogate-nam...mind-right-now
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #129
OverlayHunter

As part of the post-race commentary on NBCSN, they showed a video clip of the start of the race taken from a high angle. I've tried in vain to find that online. Short, but pretty dramatic footage. Does anyone have a link to that?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 10:09 AM   #130
pandy

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I said. <eye roll>

For the record, I was just reporting what the commentators were saying about the track. I wasn't watching to know if this seemed right which is why I stipulated "if true."

I don't know if the track yesterday can be called a closer's bias, but it certainly was much less speed favoring than it has been in the past. Fortunately.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 10:16 AM   #131
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
I watched the live telecast on the NBCSports channel. In commentary, before the big race--it was stated that ... (paraphrasing) ... the track was sealed earlier this evening and has been resealed for the World Cup race.

I'm sure of hearing this as it's unusual to hear the term--resealed.
Thanks. Yes, unusual. I guess they ran the rollers over it again. I'm used to seeing sealed tracks look muddy and this one looked fast.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #132
Andy Asaro

Mike Smith on Roger Stein show. Visited Arrogate this morning. Looked like he hadn't even run. Admitted best horse he's ever ridden and he has a lot more to give.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 03-26-2017 at 11:57 AM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #133
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
After the Travers I was very hesitant to heap the kind of praise towards Arrogate that some on here were.

I was WAAAAAAAY wrong. About as wrong as you can be. I very humbly apologize to anyone I disagreed with at that time. Arrogate is the best horse I've seen in my lifetime and that's tough to say as I love Holy Bull.

To win today like he did is just amazing. Maybe even more amazing than the Travers romp. We're just lucky to be able to watch talent like that.
It's all good.

Last edited by depalma113; 03-26-2017 at 12:43 PM.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 12:47 PM   #134
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
It's all good.
I thought you were one of the people but couldn't remember. You and outofthebox were way ahead of the curve on this one.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #135
classhandicapper

If you look at all the dirt races at Meydan yesterday, I think it's pretty clear the track was more tilted towards closers than the typical dirt track in North America or the way Meydan itself usually plays.

In the big race, the horse on the lead quit, but he had a very spotty record. So it's not like we know he backed up badly from being used. On the flip side of that, the horses that were 2-3-4 early finished 2-3-4. That's not a collapse. Then again, there was not a lot of quality behind the North American horses up front early. The only closer (besides the winner) that looked like he had a good shot to pick up some horses was Hoppy. He did some closing but I don't think the fact that he didn't get into the top few means much. He's good, but not really good.

IMO, to the extent you can analyze the running styles, quality of the field, and how the race itself developed it looks about neutral to me.