Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #136
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I don't know if the track yesterday can be called a closer's bias, but it certainly was much less speed favoring than it has been in the past. Fortunately.
I agree 100%.

Several horses came from way out of it to win and a couple had overall closer flows. Even if Arrogate and Mind Your Biscuits were logical horses, there were other less logical horses that came from far back and a couple of quality speed types that got nailed late after opening up into the stretch.

One horse I was impressed with yesterday was Epicharis. He got nailed late, but he was very game and he didn't need that win to get into the Derby. It's tough to measure the quality of those hoses relative to in NA, but IMO he was good.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #137
thespaah

Ok I may draw the ire of the head honcho here but, i believe this is an appropriate response to that performance.
Or g rated......
All kidding aside, this is a horse that is razor sharp.
Arrogate not only blew by half the field in 3 furlongs, but never seemed to be working all that hard. Smith had him in hand the last sixteenth.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #138
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
Show me where anybody said this. She was never out of touch with the field. She sat a close 3rd, which should have been a clear lead.

It started out as a good thread. It's now 9 pages long. I'm near the top of page 5, and I'm done with it.
Towards the end of that thread someone provided tweets and another reminded me that "several highly paid media types" felt Ortiz should have "pushed" her to retake the lead when she was passed. As I mentioned, then he would be looking at a possible duel for a good 8f. I felt the jockey did nothing wrong and didn't panic and let her run her race which is what the thread was about which was just criticizing his ride and that caused her loss.

Your highlighted portion of my post, I was a repeating PA's words from his post.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 03-26-2017 at 02:31 PM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #139
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
I put arrogate in equibase search box and the chart is blank, maybe they'll get around to it at some point.
Does Equibase show the charts from outside the US?

I tried this before and they showed US races for the horse but didn't show the foreign race chart. But, they did show the race, date and finish in the summary page.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 02:37 PM   #140
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
Ok I may draw the ire of the head honcho here but, i believe this is an appropriate response to that performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz0Cw-XmKiY
Or g rated......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PUu88nOcw
All kidding aside, this is a horse that is razor sharp.
Arrogate not only blew by half the field in 3 furlongs, but never seemed to be working all that hard. Smith had him in hand the last sixteenth.
No ire here...I laughed
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #141
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
No, of course they don't.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #142
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post

I tried this before and they showed US races for the horse but didn't show the foreign race chart. But, they did show the race, date and finish in the summary page.
I don't know what they show, arrogate is a US based horse so I would assume when he next races in the USA he will have some sort of PP line indicating he raced out of the country.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #143
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
It wasn't a great ride. It was less than average ride, and just a jock on a great horse.

Just last weekend, Terra Promessa was "supposed" to be on the front end just like Arrogate today.

Ortiz got the hammer on this very site for his crap ride on TP.

Now we annoint Smith with a great ride?

Color me confused.
Did Terra Promessa WIN? I think your answer is right there.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 04:35 PM   #144
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Why has a thread about one of the greatest horses we've seen turned into a rehash of Irad's terrible ride? Enough. There is already a thread for that.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #145
HalvOnHorseracing

My opinion of Arrogate's win in the Dubai World Cup is posted on the blog at halveyonhorseracing.com. Great performance? Unquestionably. Greatest horse ever? Ehhh.....
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #146
keithw84

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
Smith mentioned that after he got squeezed and was forced to ride behind the field he thought of riding Arrogate like Zenyatta and see what happens. I guess it all comes down to be a good enough rider to get experience in mounts like Zenyatta.
I love this. Who would've thought - with all Mike's talk about how great Zenyatta was - that she was just practice for Arrogate's DWC?!
keithw84 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #147
keithw84

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
Not to be a downer but I am not a fan of the way they shoot the race. The drive in front of the pack looks cool on some level but as far as following a particular horse it makes it very difficult.
I totally agree. NBC does it a little sometimes, but this was really bad. It looked to me like the replay with the Longines logo had a few better angles than the Dubai Racing one.

When the race caller described where Arrogate was on the backstretch, you couldn't even see him because of the head-on shot. With the regular view from the side that they show for EVERY simulcast race, you would've been able to easily see where he was.

I feel like the people broadcasting races try to be cute rather than being useful. A few years ago, it was the speed of the horses. I don't care if they're running at 37.2 MPH or 38.1 MPH. I do care whether the opening quarter was in 22.4 or 24.2 because that will actually tell me what to expect to unfold in the race.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #148
keithw84

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I saw Spectacular Bid. He was faster than Arrogate and also accomplished a lot more.

Arrogate is most comparable to Ghostzapper- very fast, but not a lot of races.

Comparisons to horses who set multiple world records, had years long careers, beat several generations of good horses, carried weight, ran on dirt and turf and at varied distances, and had 15, 20, or 25+ wins are not appropriate.
Fair point. His string of impressive performances does leave a lot of others in the dust (His Travers-BCC-Pegasus-DWC dwarfs Point Given's Preakness-Belmont-Haskell-Travers, for example).

He might be the best horse to ever go 7 for 8 (Big Brown, anyone? lol) but I'm really looking forward to seeing what he continues to do this year and next. Hope we get a full career out of him.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #149
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw84 View Post
I totally agree. NBC does it a little sometimes, but this was really bad. It looked to me like the replay with the Longines logo had a few better angles than the Dubai Racing one.

When the race caller described where Arrogate was on the backstretch, you couldn't even see him because of the head-on shot. With the regular view from the side that they show for EVERY simulcast race, you would've been able to easily see where he was.

I feel like the people broadcasting races try to be cute rather than being useful. A few years ago, it was the speed of the horses. I don't care if they're running at 37.2 MPH or 38.1 MPH. I do care whether the opening quarter was in 22.4 or 24.2 because that will actually tell me what to expect to unfold in the race.
This is the BC classic from last year. A few cute angles but you can follow the horses so much better!!

098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2017, 07:44 PM   #150
Vinnie

It has now been at least a day and a half later, and yet, I still find difficulty in attempting to grasp what I witnessed happening yesterday in Dubai.... It was just downright OUTRAGEOUS!!!

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: