Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
Zippy Chippy

Anyone ever have a chalazion removed? In your eye

I posted about a stye last week but i dont have a stye. I went to the doctor today and they said it was a chalazion. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow. Its a bump filled with puss on the inside of your lid.

From what ive heard is that this is the worst procedure. I spoke to a friend today that said she had one removed and would rather go through a C Section any day. They clamp your lid open and scrape everything out and you can't move or blink til they are done which sounds like hell.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar and knows any other alternatives.

Thanks
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #2
098poi

I know nothing about it but it doesn't sound like fun. It will be over before you know it. Good luck!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
Hanover1

Best of luck with this..sounds tough. At first I thought you were gonna say you had a lizard.......oh, never mind. Perhaps they have a local they can use on you? I know several vets that could really help
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #4
Zippy Chippy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover1
Best of luck with this..sounds tough. At first I thought you were gonna say you had a lizard.......oh, never mind. Perhaps they have a local they can use on you? I know several vets that could really help
Haha. They probably would have used leaches years ago
Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Zipper,

A word of advice... This may be the first one you've ever had but you can bet that the doctor has done a bunch of them. This is one of those times when "just another day at the office" for the doctor is a good thing.

Like Poi said, it will be over before you know it.

Kind of like a colonoscopy.

Be well.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good luck,man...sounds like a bad day.
MY advice = lots of booze!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
turninforhome10

They will probably give you lidocaine so your eye will feel nothing. Had major eye surgeries as a kid and hate my eyes being messed with.
turninforhome10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2011, 03:39 AM   #8
Market Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Chippy
I posted about a stye last week but i dont have a stye. I went to the doctor today and they said it was a chalazion. I have an eye doctor appointment tomorrow. Its a bump filled with puss on the inside of your lid.

From what ive heard is that this is the worst procedure. I spoke to a friend today that said she had one removed and would rather go through a C Section any day. They clamp your lid open and scrape everything out and you can't move or blink til they are done which sounds like hell.

Just wondering if anyone is familiar and knows any other alternatives.

Thanks

No worries Zippy. Chalazion and stye are sometimes used interchangeably. They represent clogged glands called meibomian glands that secrete oil to cover tear film outer layer to prevent evaporatiom of your tears.

Chalazia are common, and can in most cases occur just based on simple anatomy and how your glands are oriented/more likely to clog. First line of treatment is immediate hot compresses twice to three times a day for fifteen minutes religiously, in hopes that heat will open the closed glands and express the caseous/cheesy oil/sebum material.
After 30 or so days, this material starts to harden, and then it becomes much tougher to overcome with just heat. If enough has accumulated, and become hardened and encapsulated, the only other option is to numb the eyelid, flip it, make an incision with scalpel blade, and scoop it out.
Its a messy procedure, and sometimes both surgeon and nurse will back slightly away because contents may be under pressure.
The problem with most chalazia is that they tend to be recurrent in nature.

But just like the ALL button in some exotic wagers, sometimes you just got to do it.
Market Mover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #9
hcap

I had eye surgery. Out patient proceedure but a bit more serious than what you will undergo.
Initially a general anesthetic until the local took complete effect. I awoke from the general as they were 1/2 way trough the surgery. Felt only pressure as they worked internally on my left eye. No pain at all. In fact, had a conversation with my ophthalmologist and attending nurses.

15 minutes after being wheeled out of the operating room, the pain started. Make sure they prescribe an adequate supply of strong pain killers. They do work. One week later. no pain at all and definite improvement in vision. And yes, these kind of surgeries sound much worse than they really are. And are routine at this point.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
Zippy Chippy

Thanks for the responses.

A little comic relief. I called doctor to give them my insurance info. My last name ends in E-R-E. I said my last name and she said " I-E-R-E"? And I said, remove the I. There was a pause and we both started laughing cause it came out like "remove the eye" which is what I wanna do! Things driving me crazy.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: