Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook
Cal racing is DEAD to me.
You see the nonsense this is starting to create around here?

I respect you and your opinion greatly and the contributions you have made over the years, but I can't allow this "California is dead to me" spam to continue being posted on every thread about California racing.

Why?

Because:

a) whether you know it or not, you are punishing ME and my site by doing so, and I don't think that's what your goal is here

2) It's spam and it's an absolute turn off in this type of environment.

Any more of this "California is dead to me" spam or any derivatives thereof will be deleted on sight from here on out.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #32
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

I hate to say it, but I'll had zero problems with the races at Del Mar and it's been a great meet to me.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #33
Hajck Hillstrom
Deftly Rated

Darn, just when I thought I wouldn't have to post because of a cause.

... and just when I had the time.

Last edited by Hajck Hillstrom; 09-04-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Hajck Hillstrom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 01:58 AM   #34
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajck Hillstrom
... and just when I had the time.

Long time. "Hur mår du?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 02:05 AM   #35
Rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You see the nonsense this is starting to create around here?...
Any more of this "California is dead to me" spam or any derivatives thereof will be deleted on sight from here on out.
This is hardly nonsense. "If this California Is Dead to Me" movement had your support, it would be a potent force. Go reread the thread, before you made your opposition known, 15 members expressed support and only one didn't like the idea.

If you hadn't stepped in to kill it, there likely would have been dozens and dozens of more people lined up to send California a strong message and very few trying to defend their boneheaded action. This is the exact opposite of spam. It is a unifying message for a group that is rarely going in one direction.

Quote:
a) whether you know it or not, you are punishing ME and my site by doing so, and I don't think that's what your goal is here
Of course I don't want to hurt you in any way and that is the complete opposite of my goal. I want Pace Advantage to be a leader in fighting takeout increases. Lower takeout is the number one issue for so many horseplayers and this is my idea on how to achieve it given the present circumstances. If you have a better approach, we will gladly follow your lead.
Rook is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 02:11 AM   #36
Greyfox

"Play those longshots."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure
I hate to say it, but I'll had zero problems with the races at Del Mar and it's been a great meet to me.
Ditto.
I'm glad to see your good fortune Speed Figure and agree with you.
Obviously when the Pick 6 is that high, longshots have to be coming in, now and then.
That's good news if you know how and when to play them.
Learn to understand who can win on today's surface, the shape of the race, and you can win at Del Mar. Logical Longshots are flying in.
Today's lone speed runner in Race 7 at 9-1 was a "gimmee."
To get the Pick 6 would be nice.
Tomorrow it could be worth over $ 4 million.
Those posters here who are the apparent disciples of the guy who is getting free ads here on "How to Win the Pick 6" will be much farther ahead if they forget that b.s. and put their $ 32 towards logical overlays. Fact.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 02:17 AM   #37
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
This is hardly nonsense.
By nonsense, I of course am solely referring to the actual posting of "California is dead to me" in every non-negative thread about Cali. racing. I am not referring to the motives behind such action (bringing about an end to the flawed mentality of takeout increase), which are to be commended.

What you will be doing for the most part, is not educating folks about California and the negative impact of what is about to go down out there, but pissing them off and turning them away from this website altogether.

I find this to be a wholly unproductive idea, and can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would think the opposite.

Who the hell wants to read "California is dead to me" 5-10 times a day or more? Instead of an inspiration, it is a complete turn off. It is essentially spam. It may be more nobler than your everyday spam, but spam it is nonetheless. And spam is the number one killer of any message board.

Now, I'm just talking about PaceAdvantage.com here...I couldn't care less what goes on at other blogs and racing message boards...

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-04-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #38
bigmack

Quote:
If you have a better approach, we will gladly follow your lead.
R - You're a well respected cat around these parts but the declaration of a welcoming demise to CA racing in a forum such as this is far from effectual and postures in a negative light to a host of an industry within a state for PA and this site.

I was a short-hair away from interjecting an objection to the spirit of the the "Dead to Me" thread.

It's best to leave this site out of a very strong position in this confounding & contentious affair.
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #39
Rook

Quote:
I find this to be a wholly unproductive idea, and can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would think the opposite....
The clear majority of us think the opposite (put it to a vote if you don't think so) because we are mad as hell and want to do something about it. What other alternative do we have? We can't picket the gates.

For two years, my avatar was Boycott WEG (Woodbine) and Tracknet. It was a little gesture but I felt good about doing something rather than nothing. It took a few years but I got what I wanted. Tracknet is dead and Woodbine is no longer an anti-rebate track. I've gone from betting $0 on WO to $206,377 thus far in 2010.

I sure as hell don't want to see California racing die but I do want them to be punished for being stupid enough to raise prices when business is declining.

I opened up my Charts 2006 and Charts 2010 databases and ran WPS pool size queries. GG's handle is 67.8% of what it once was, Hol: 74.9%, SA: 77.6% and DMR: 83.6%. These clowns need every bit of help they can get running their business.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:58 AM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
The clear majority of us think the opposite (put it to a vote if you don't think so) because we are mad as hell and want to do something about it. What other alternative do we have? We can't picket the gates.
Just to be clear, you and I are both talking about the actual posting of "California is dead to me" over and over again on this message board in threads related to anything "non-negative" about Cali. racing. Have I gotten that correct? I have to make sure we are on the same page about this, because I am sensing some miscommunication here.

With that said, why in the world would you think that I would be supportive of such a thing? What good is that going to do exactly? How is that NOT going to drive people AWAY from this website?

You can't picket the gates? Why the hell not?

Instead, you are essentially going to picket the message board that gave birth to HANA and continues to provide a highly visible venue for you to discuss your frustrations and outrage in a productive (non-spamlike) manner. That doesn't make one lick of sense to me.

I would think that this type of guerrilla tactic, if employed anywhere, would have much greater impact at a blog or message board that is actually connected to one of the California tracks in question...do you not agree?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-04-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:36 AM   #41
Rook

Quote:
Just to be clear, you and I are both talking about the actual posting of "California is dead to me" over and over again on this message board ... I have to make sure we are on the same page about this, because I am sensing some miscommunication here.
No, there is no miscommunication. My idea had tremendous support (15 to 1) until you came and killed it. People aren't going to go against you, but if you had let them do what they wanted, there would have been loads of people happy to scan the message board waiting to tell those promoting California racing what they thought of their overpriced product.

I am not the only one that would like to do something with my anger towards those who are destroying the sport. The competition of sports betting and poker is absolutely dominating racing mainly because their takeouts are just a fraction of what horseplayers face.

HANA has given no indication that they are going to take action. I was hoping we could do something here at PA.

Quote:
With that said, why in the world would you think that I would be supportive of such a thing?
I didn't think of you when I wrote my call to arms and I apologize for that oversight.

Quote:
What good is that going to do exactly?
It remains to be seen. I do know that doing nothing does no good and I do know that my Boycott Woodbine avatar made me feel warm inside and maybe played some tiny sliver of a role in getting Woodbine to change from being the most hostile to rebates track to being one of the most generous.

Quote:
How is that NOT going to drive people AWAY from this website?
If your traffic was being negatively affected, of course we would have swiftly ended our campaign. People on this board want you to succeed just like we want the industry to prosper. Unfortunately, the industry is heading off a cliff and the California takeout increase is exhibit A on why that is the case.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:49 AM   #42
carlonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapfire
Seems to me that they were grooming the track today to create this carryover.
Actually it was a turf race that had the biggest impact on the pick 6 today. Odds-on favorite ran out! Contrary to the belief of some, Synthetics are not the cause of everything.

Last edited by carlonr; 09-04-2010 at 03:50 AM.
carlonr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #43
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlonr
Actually it was a turf race that had the biggest impact on the pick 6 today. Odds-on favorite ran out! Contrary to the belief of some, Synthetics are not the cause of everything.
A lot of these short favorites are getting crushed because lots of trainers are rushing back horses too quick to get that ONE MORE race at DMR before it closes. TONS of horses in the next few days are coming back too quick, i believe that's a factor in great looking (on paper) horses who are just bouncing to the moon.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #44
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
No, there is no miscommunication. My idea had tremendous support (15 to 1) until you came and killed it. People aren't going to go against you, but if you had let them do what they wanted, there would have been loads of people happy to scan the message board waiting to tell those promoting California racing what they thought of their overpriced product.

I am not the only one that would like to do something with my anger towards those who are destroying the sport. The competition of sports betting and poker is absolutely dominating racing mainly because their takeouts are just a fraction of what horseplayers face.

HANA has given no indication that they are going to take action. I was hoping we could do something here at PA.

I didn't think of you when I wrote my call to arms and I apologize for that oversight.

It remains to be seen. I do know that doing nothing does no good and I do know that my Boycott Woodbine avatar made me feel warm inside and maybe played some tiny sliver of a role in getting Woodbine to change from being the most hostile to rebates track to being one of the most generous.

If your traffic was being negatively affected, of course we would have swiftly ended our campaign. People on this board want you to succeed just like we want the industry to prosper. Unfortunately, the industry is heading off a cliff and the California takeout increase is exhibit A on why that is the case.
The deal is that you're misdirecting your fire.

I'm one of a few guys working on this issue on a daily basis but you decide that I am the one you want to go after. Does that make any sense at all?

It's easy to find the email addresses of the people and organizations that are supporting the increase in takeout if you want to direct your fire at the people who are responsible.

Giving me a hard time is about as "Wrong Way Corrigan" as it gets.

Let's move on!
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #45
Rook

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
The deal is that you're misdirecting your fire.

I'm one of a few guys working on this issue on a daily basis but you decide that I am the one you want to go after. Does that make any sense at all?
Take a look at my posts over the years. When I go after someone I hit the Quote button rather than Reply. I wasn't going after you. I was making a general comment about people who are sticking up for the California tracks while they are screwing the players and themselves in the long run.

Since you started this thread promoting the Pick 6, I can see why you felt you are in the cross hairs, but I have no vendetta against you. I just think it is in poor taste to be boosting California at this time and you should have expected some negative reaction while people are so angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
It's easy to find the email addresses of the people and organizations that are supporting the increase in takeout if you want to direct your fire at the people who are responsible.
I'm sure it is. I'm also sure that they have received dozens if not hundreds of complaints and it has not had any effect this far. I didn't want my name merely added to the pile. I wanted to do something different. Getting the most prominent handicapping board squarely against them is definitely different.