Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #1
thespaah

Corrie Lanerie

Anyone watch the Louisiana Derby? What on earth was Lanerie thinking about?
He's on the 2-1 fav Mo Tom...Yes this horse is a closer. But does that mean the jockey has to save ground at all costs. Lanerie appeared to get his mount into trouble by allowing himself to get trapped on the rail.....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
rgustafson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Anyone watch the Louisiana Derby? What on earth was Lanerie thinking about?
He's on the 2-1 fav Mo Tom...Yes this horse is a closer. But does that mean the jockey has to save ground at all costs. Lanerie appeared to get his mount into trouble by allowing himself to get trapped on the rail.....
The second race in a row now that he has done this. He has won with this horse going wide turning for home in previous races. Maybe after today he learned something.
rgustafson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 10:21 PM   #3
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgustafson
The second race in a row now that he has done this. He has won with this horse going wide turning for home in previous races. Maybe after today he learned something.
I don't get it. Mo Tom is supposed ot be a top TC contender. I would figure any trainer with a horse of this caliber would be running down the list of jockey agents looking for a replacement.
I don't know much about Lanerie. Is he a rider one would go with on a grade one type horse?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
horses4courses

Corey Lanerie is a perfectly good jockey.
He rode a bad race today. It happens.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Not one I would ever seek out to ride a good horse.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:08 PM   #6
rgustafson

He is a top Kentucky jockey with multiple riding titles at Churchill and Keeneland. He has also had moderate success at Gulfstream being in the top ten the last two years at the winter meets. In 2015 he won two grade I races, one at Churchill and one at Keeneland. Does this mean he should continue to be the jockey one Mo Tom? That's up to Amoss.
rgustafson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

You had Gun Runner in the race, who figured to take 1st run among the stalkers and then lug in to the rail.

Homework clearly wasn't done before the race.

I pictured it

5----5------1
9------9---/
1-------/
2-------------2
6-----------------6
7---------7

in the Fairgrounds stretch

race didn't materialize exactly as I envisioned.

Long story short: CL had the horse that appeared on paper capable of running past all others down the lane with a decent setup regardless of path.

The setup and the pace was going to determine the 's fate, not the path.

If Mo Tom looks like a poor man's Street Sense, then CL looked like a poor man's Calvin Borel today

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-26-2016 at 11:19 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Corey Lanerie is a perfectly good jockey.
He rode a bad race today. It happens.
You're right bad races happen but they shouldn't happen when your horse could have beaten the field running ass first. Good jockeys in this scenario would have went 7 wide at the turn or would have been more patient and went to the outside of Candy My Boy when he was tiring instead of attempting to go up the rail. I had no action on the race but this was an absolute disgraceful ride. Lanerie should be taken off. There's a reason why he is 42 and only has one Kentucky Derby mount. If you can't navigate yourself through a 10 horse Kentucky Derby Prep on an extremely live animal, what the hell are you going to do in a 20 horse field? The pressure got to him.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #9
lamboguy

Victor Espinoza gave CALIFORNIA CHROME a great ride today. i don't think that any other jockey that walks this planet could have done a better job than him with that champion.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #10
pandy

Amoss has won a ton of races with Lanerie but that was a bad ride and now this colt has two nightmarish trips in a row. As soon as the race was over my reaction was that Mo Tom will be getting a rider change next start, and I think that's a given.

Amoss cursed Lanerie out after the race (and apologized later) and said that he thought it was a terrible ride, which it was. Amoss actually took Lanerie off a horse in the 12th, he was so mad. What made the rail trip look worse, right after Lanerie tried to squeeze up the rail there was an opening to the outside. If he had been more patient he would have been able to come right through that opening and the horse would have been no worse than second.

Lanerie is a talented rider but yesterday he clearly blew it and lost an opportunity to ride a horse that has a good shot at winning the Derby.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 12:36 PM   #11
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

He did everything right until he tried to duck to the inside. He should of tried to split horses but i guess when you have to make the quick decision he thought the rail was the best place to go at the time. Dont know if he would have won but i think it would of been close.
Donttellmeshowme is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Amoss has won a ton of races with Lanerie but that was a bad ride and now this colt has two nightmarish trips in a row. As soon as the race was over my reaction was that Mo Tom will be getting a rider change next start, and I think that's a given.

Amoss cursed Lanerie out after the race (and apologized later) and said that he thought it was a terrible ride, which it was. Amoss actually took Lanerie off a horse in the 12th, he was so mad. What made the rail trip look worse, right after Lanerie tried to squeeze up the rail there was an opening to the outside. If he had been more patient he would have been able to come right through that opening and the horse would have been no worse than second.

Lanerie is a talented rider but yesterday he clearly blew it and lost an opportunity to ride a horse that has a good shot at winning the Derby.

You have a link to him cursing him out?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #13
pandy

No, it was reported that Amoss was yelling profanities at Lanerie right after the race but later Amoss apologized for "acting unprofessionally".

What made the ride look particularly bad was the fact that the stretch there is so long.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #14
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donttellmeshowme
You have a link to him cursing him out?
Don't want to tell you it happened, so I'll just show you it happened

For, REAL

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/tr...t-race-tirade/

Last edited by EMD4ME; 03-27-2016 at 08:35 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2016, 09:52 PM   #15
Donttellmeshowme
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Don't want to tell you it happened, so I'll just show you it happened

For, REAL

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/tr...t-race-tirade/

And i almsot went to FG yesterday but decided not to didnt want to fight the crowd