Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 07-21-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Saturday, July 21

Race One:

Make no mistake, this race is tough. I believe it’s one of those races, especially if you’re playing gimmicks or multi-race wagers, that you’ll need to, as I often say: “buy insurance” (toss in a few extra horses). 8 SWEET JUSTICE does draw outside, yet this 8-year old bay gelding has a distinct class-edge on these. His qualifier, in my opinion was a “stroll in the park”. A measured, acclimating tune-up for this evening’s pari-mutuel race. Yes, quite admittedly, the outside starting post is a gnawing concern. However, this guy’s certainly capable of leaving. The questions is: “Is he capable of staying?” Does this gelding have the endurance to last the full mile? The “A-Mac Attack,” Andrew McCarthy, is in the bike for trainer Bruce Saunders. Others: 3 Fox Valley Steffen; 1 WhatnBlazes; 4 Mr Protab.

Race Two:

2 SUN SHINES BRIGHT has reeled off two straight wins. I don’t see any reason why this well-bred 3-year old bay filly can’t make it three-straight. Her trainer, Jimmy Takter, has been “lights out” (he swept yesterday’s early double). I ask: “Will this be a “Down Under”-driven double?” The Aussie from “Oz,” Andy McCarthy, is in the bike. Only caveat: she has missed a week. Yet… Others: 3 Ideal Talker; 1 Lonely Days; 4 Hurrikane Empress.

Race Three:

7 OSIRIS BLUE CHIP. What is this? “Aussie Night”. We may yet hear: “Waltzing Matilda”. We can even have a swig of “billy tea” and yes, we might even be able to catch a stray “jumbuck”. That was some closing time this Bettor’s Delight-bred “authored” last week; he stopped the tele-timer at 1:50.4 (he finished 5th). He does get a better post; yet this gelding is pace-dependent. Frankly, I don’t see that much early speed here. This guy needs a chance to: “unleash”. “If the pace is slow, there is no dough”. I’ll still bet a quid or two on him. It’s the “Aussie Duo,” driver Andrew McCarthy and trainer Noel Daley. Others: 9 Danish Diligence; 4 NY White Sox; 3 Pop Pop Joe.

Race Four:

6 DEALT A WINNER drew the extreme outside post as a distinct longshot in last week’s William Haughton Memorial. No chance. But this evening. Hark. This evening’s outside post ain’t that far outside. A more manageable 6-horse field. This Cam’s Card Shark-bred picks up the services of one of Ohio’s finest, “The Buckeye,” Dave Miller. That most definitely enhances this guy’s chances. Winless this year, this just might be “a grand night” for picture-taking. Mark Silva trains. Others: 1 Santiago Style; 5 Clouseau Hanover; 4 Express Stride N

Race Five:

1 ANGEL SPEAK is my admitted longshot try. The Well Said-bred 5-year old ships in from “The Spa” to try “the big mile”. This mare has a lot going for her. First, the services of “The Captain”. The Kentucky Wildcat, Corey Callahan. Second, this mare draws the rail. Third, 2nd-time Lasix. If all the pieces fall together, this gal has a chance of prevailing. To paraphrase Alfred Lord Tennyson: “Tis better to have bet on a longshot and lost, than not to have bet at all.” Jackie Greene trains. Others: 3 Daenerys Hanover; 2 Milady Denver A; 10 ICommandMySpirit.

Race Six:

1 EVALUATE was a tad disappointing last week in the Stanley Dancer Memorial (I saw Stanley Dancer guide Su Mac Lad to victory in “The International”. He tied the then world record for the mile and a quarter distance on July 13, 1963. My friends and I had traveled down from Boston to see the LA Dodgers play the hapless New York Mets at the Polo Grounds. Afterwards, we drove out to Roosevelt Raceway. That was the only time I ever saw “Sumie”. He paid $2.90 to win. Needless to say, we got home in time for breakfast). Back to the future…I mean the present. I believe this Andover Hall-bred has a chance to make amends. Frankly, this colt may have needed that last race. He’s Hambo-eligible. This would likely be his final tune-up. “Oh Captain, My Captain…The Prize We Sought Is Won,” Corey Callahan, is in the bike for trainer Marcus Melander in this Arthur Tompkins Memorial. Others: 5 Met’s Hall; 8 Zephyr Kronos; 2 Samo Different Day.

Race Seven:

5 PENPAL was overmatched in the “Golden Girls” last week. In addition, her starting post was so far out I thought she was starting from the Paterson Plank Road. Alas and alack, she meets the same general field that she defeated two races back. Same result? I believe there’s a solid chance. No lead-pipe cinch, mind you. And, likely “the chalk”. You’ll have to decide. Risk vs. Reward. Corey Callahan is in the sulky for trainer and part-owner Pat Lachance. Others: 7 Rockin Praline; 8 Bridge to Victory; 4 MyLittleSurferGirl.

Race Eight:

3 HEY BLONDIE is my selection here in the Arthur Tompkins Memorial. This filly was a closing 3rd in last week’s Del Miller Memorial. This field should be more to her liking. Andy McCarthy reprises drive for trainer Chuck Sylvester. Others: 9 Looking for Zelda; 5 Piranha Fury; 1 Bella Glos.

Race Nine:

6 SPRINTER N, the New Zealand import, left the gate as if he were “shot out of cannon,” yet he had enough coming back in that last panel (:27.1) to finish in a dead heat for 2nd. Any slight improvement and he should be right there at the wire. “The Orange Crush,” Andy Miller, handles the lines for “The Crocodile Man,” Ross Croghan”. Others: 3 Messi N; 8 Quality Bud; 2 Ever Again.

Race Ten:

5 FLY ON is a bit of a question mark. The potential exists. His most recent qualifier was very good. Yet, he has “danced” in his previous two pari-mutuel starts. Has “Team Orange Crush” ironed out the difficulties? That is the question. If he stays “flat,” he can prevail. A word to the wise is sufficient: “buy insurance”. Others: 7 Fiji; 4 New Jersey Viking; 3 Dream Baby Dream.

Race Eleven:

8 LONE WOLF TERROR has faced better in the past. Yes, I’m not crazy about the starting post. It has a tendency to put this guy’s options in the hands of others. It appears that he’ll be coming off the tailgate. Corey Stratton mans the reins for trainer Jim Guagliardo. Others: 5 Bettors Glass; 2 Go Big Spender; 3 Sportsmanship.

Race Twelve:

In the finale, my pick is: 7 ONEISALONELYNUMBER. He ships in from Pocono where he showed some signs of ability. Frankly, I’m not sure what to expect. Yet, I’m always on the lookout for value. This guy certainly would provide some if he popped. Corey Stratton is in the bike for trainer Jim Siegelman. Finally, I’m not sure what the weather will be in East Rutherford at the time; yet I believe this fella moves up with moisture. Others: 2 Intrigued Intended; 4 FrankandJoanne; 6 Outcry.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
pandy

There are some tricky races, Teach. I think.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: