Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Twin Spires Players Pool

10k down the drain while Twin Spires congratulates one of the guys who contributed opinions to the pool on hitting the super on his own.

Poor form doesn't even to begin to describe this. It begs the question....why would anyone contribute to a players pool to begin with?
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
10k down the drain while Twin Spires congratulates one of the guys who contributed opinions to the pool on hitting the super on his own.

Poor form doesn't even to begin to describe this. It begs the question....why would anyone contribute to a players pool to begin with?

That is unbelievable. I think the guy spent much, much less to hit it too. I don't begrudge him hitting the super on his own, but why in the world would you tout it to your customers?

Team handicapping is a bad idea in my opinion. Betting just doesn't work that way. Nothing wrong with pooling money but let one guy make the tickets.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
Andy Asaro

Agree with both of you. It's bad for the game. CDI could care less.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #4
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
That is unbelievable. I think the guy spent much, much less to hit it too. I don't begrudge him hitting the super on his own, but why in the world would you tout it to your customers?

Team handicapping is a bad idea in my opinion. Betting just doesn't work that way. Nothing wrong with pooling money but let one guy make the tickets.
Yeah it's great that he hit but pretty short sighted to point it out like that. I think in this case one guy did make the tickets. Just not the guy who had the better opinion in the race.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #5
davew

The Sharp's Player pool hit a pick5 for $50K

they had 4 different players pools going around derby
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #6
Andy Asaro

Old 05-07-2017, 05:16 PM   #7
Andy Asaro

Old 05-07-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Andy Asaro

Tweets aren't in exact order. There are a bunch of them. ITP lays the hammer down pretty well.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:46 PM   #9
kingfin66
Bombardier

I wonder if there is legal action to be had with something like this. What a schmuck.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
arw629
First Time Gelding

This is such a conflict of interest it isn't even funny. There has to be a money laundering or fraud investigation doesn't there?
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #11
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

The math suggests that If the twin spires pool had HIT for 75k, the other guys ticket would have chopped off about 500 from the price, so there's the idea that he's deflating the winning price which takes money out of the TS investors pockets if they had hit.

It seems like small potatoes due to the size of the pool, but what happens in the future where a million dollar give back pick 6 (for example) pays 500k out to 2 winners, the TS pool hits one and a TS pool capper has the other ticket?

Kind of sullies the integrity of the experience, I would be hitting the roof If I had invested in this pool and then one of the people involved is shoving the winner in my face and I'm not part of it.

Not a good look.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 12:44 AM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

How many players will this drive away next year?

There's already a perceived insiders advantage in this game. This is a terrible public relations gaffe.

In a real business or more corporate aware environment, heads would roll.........
Old 05-08-2017, 07:39 AM   #13
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89 View Post
The math suggests that If the twin spires pool had HIT for 75k, the other guys ticket would have chopped off about 500 from the price, so there's the idea that he's deflating the winning price which takes money out of the TS investors pockets if they had hit.

It seems like small potatoes due to the size of the pool, but what happens in the future where a million dollar give back pick 6 (for example) pays 500k out to 2 winners, the TS pool hits one and a TS pool capper has the other ticket?

Kind of sullies the integrity of the experience, I would be hitting the roof If I had invested in this pool and then one of the people involved is shoving the winner in my face and I'm not part of it.

Not a good look.
I don't think it's an issue he made side bets. Nothing wrong with that IMO, the issue is rubbing it in everyone's face that he hit.

I'd be interested in seeing how the tickets were constructed. If he's the "expert" why wasn't his opinion weighted more heavily than whoever else was involved in constructing the tickets?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:18 PM   #14
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
I don't think it's an issue he made side bets. Nothing wrong with that IMO, the issue is rubbing it in everyone's face that he hit.

I'd be interested in seeing how the tickets were constructed. If he's the "expert" why wasn't his opinion weighted more heavily than whoever else was involved in constructing the tickets?
It is an issue he made side bets bc it's a conflict of interest. If you don't see a conflict interest please explain. I didn't play the players pool so it doesn't effect me but if I did I would be irate.
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:

I agree the rubbing in the face is a major part of the story, but Arw has a good point too, there's still a conflict.

Who's to say that one of the experts isn't sabotaging the tens of thousands of TS player money so he can get better odds on his own bets? In the derby it doesn't matter because of pool size, but what about in a smaller pool situation?

Also, even if there's no actual sabotage, the expert knows the ticket structure and can gain small percentage points for his own bets if he 'bets around' the TS tickets.
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply