Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you be playing the 14% takeout Early Pick 5 at Hollywood Park
Hell No! Not until they lower all the exotic takeouts 45 48.91%
Absolutely! It's a good value 27 29.35%
Not sure 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. This poll is closed

Old 04-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #31
andtheyreoff

It's interesting: players always clamor for lower takeout rates, and when we see them, we see either unspoken disinterest (Hastings) or outspoken disinterest (Hollywood).

Is it me?
andtheyreoff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #32
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
It's interesting: players always clamor for lower takeout rates, and when we see them, we see either unspoken disinterest (Hastings) or outspoken disinterest (Hollywood).

Is it me?
We're complicated creatures.

By the way all the "not sure's" are going to get pulled in by the free PP's.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #33
ronsmac

Socal racing can go to hell.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #34
rwwupl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P
Yes. Hollywood Park has implemented some player friendly suggestions. But let's not sugar coat things here. If the industry is reading this they need to know exactly how their actions are seen by the customer.

I have repeatedly told industry decision makers for Cali Racing the following:

Your decision to raise the takeout was a horrible idea. You have created an incredible amount of customer badwill. You have cost yourselves an incredible amount of money so far. Your decision will continue to cost you an incredible amount of money going forward. Your decision is a glaring example to the rest of the world exactly what not to do.

If you want to reverse the trend that you have created, you are going to have to implement extraordinary measures to win back the customer business you have driven away.

Common sense would dictate that the first logical step towards winning back some of the business you have driven away would be for you to rescind the takeout increase that you created.

Anything short of that is just denying reality.

Jeff Platt
President, HANA

HANA New member Sign Up Link:
http://www.jcapper.com/HANA/SignUp/H...m.asp?source=0

Yes, we are united, and we have made our point and spelled out what is necessary to turn things around in California. We have no objection to the new bet, but it is not on the main menu to resolve the big problem.

Jeff has clearly stated our objections,recommendations and goals at each meeting, there can be no mistake. They are also on the HANA website for the most part.

We will give credit when it is due and we appreciate every step in our direction... But we need a significant turn around by the California racing managers of our number one concern. We want a lower over-all cost of the bet from California, not raise one,lower one stuff.. we want a sincere effort to seek the optimum price and that would benefit all.

We have made no recommendation that would only benefit players, each recommendation would be good for the game as a whole in the long term.

We are expecting some further developments.

Roger Way
rwwupl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #35
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwupl
Yes, we are united, and we have made our point and spelled out what is necessary to turn things around in California. We have no objection to the new bet, but it is not on the main menu to resolve the big problem.

Jeff has clearly stated our objections,recommendations and goals at each meeting, there can be no mistake. They are also on the HANA website for the most part.

We will give credit when it is due and we appreciate every step in our direction... But we need a significant turn around by the California racing managers of our number one concern. We want a lower over-all cost of the bet from California, not raise one,lower one stuff.. we want a sincere effort to seek the optimum price and that would benefit all.

We have made no recommendation that would only benefit players, each recommendation would be good for the game as a whole in the long term.

We are expecting some further developments.

Roger Way
Whatever happens we started a takeout war that won't end anytime soon. Tracks will have to compete or go out of business. They longer they take to figure that out the sooner they go belly up.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #36
Mike_412

I used to really enjoy SoCal racing. Being on the East Coast, it fell into a perfect time slot for me to concentrate on the last 4-6 races on an almost daily basis. Then, they showed a blatant lack of respect for the customer by the takeout increase. To make matters worse, I couldn't believe some of the words directed at us, the customer. All the "takeout doesn't matter, gamblers will bet on anything", "the boycott is nonsense and won't have any effect" rhetoric, etc. The whole circuit, as well as their PITIFUL product can cease to exist for all I care. They've lost me as a customer for good. Honestly, I don't miss it one bit. I've found better things to do with my time.
Mike_412 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #37
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios
I want to see Hollywood Park get their groove back
I very much want to see this happen too.

Quote:
California raised the exotic-wager takeout rate by a 10- to 15-percent margin Jan. 1 (from 20.68 cents per dollar, to 22.68 and 23.68). The cost went up, demand went down. Winter handle plummeted.
There's no way to spin or sugar coat this.

When managers of fortune 500 companies make decisions that cost their companies 100's of millions of dollars in sales - everybody associated with the company pays the price.

This is no different. In this case, everbody whose livelihood is tied to Cali Racing is being put in jeapardy by an absolutely horrible decision.

Common sense might indicate that Cali Racing getting their groove back isn't likely to just happen.

I submit to you that looking at case histories of companies that have actually achieved successful turn arounds vs. continuing to follow practices that have lead other companies (and industries) to close their doors might be in order here.

A turn around is still possible. However, in order to achieve that, Cali Racing's decision makers simply have to start making better decisions going forward.

-jp

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #38
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_412
I used to really enjoy SoCal racing. Being on the East Coast, it fell into a perfect time slot for me to concentrate on the last 4-6 races on an almost daily basis. Then, they showed a blatant lack of respect for the customer by the takeout increase. To make matters worse, I couldn't believe some of the words directed at us, the customer. All the "takeout doesn't matter, gamblers will bet on anything", "the boycott is nonsense and won't have any effect" rhetoric, etc. The whole circuit, as well as their PITIFUL product can cease to exist for all I care. They've lost me as a customer for good. Honestly, I don't miss it one bit. I've found better things to do with my time.

HANA should take what Mike wrote and put it into some kind of advertisement.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #39
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
HANA should take what Mike wrote and put it into some kind of advertisement.
I would bet you have at least two CHRB board members and officials reading it right now along with a couple of Track Execs and TOC board members.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #40
Mike_412

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
I would bet you have at least two CHRB board members and officials reading it right now along with a couple of Track Execs and TOC board members.
I hope they are. Maybe some good will come for some of their current customers. I truly enjoyed playing SoCal right up until recent times. Santa Anita used to be a really fun track to play.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #41
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
I hope they are. Maybe some good will come for some of their current customers. I truly enjoyed playing SoCal right up until recent times. Santa Anita used to be a really fun track to play.
I made sure they got a link in one of my emails to them. You can be sure they're reading the thread. I spoke to one Track Exec that was reading it a while ago.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 PM   #42
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The product sucks.
It will continue to suck at any price.
If they PAID me %5 I would not bet.

The only race in California I am interested in is the Wiener Dog race.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:32 PM   #43
Mike_412

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
I made sure they got a link in one of my emails to them. You can be sure they're reading the thread. I spoke to one Track Exec that was reading it a while ago.
You do a lot of good work on behalf of the horseplayer Andy. From one player to another, thank you. You have the patience of a Saint.

Either that or you're a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep by day pimpin Xanax and figure you're boosting your client base by harassing track execs. Either way I'm thankful you're on our side!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:34 PM   #44
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
You do a lot of good work on behalf of the horseplayer Andy. From one player to another, thank you. You have the patience of a Saint.

Either that or you're a Pharmaceutical Sales Rep by day pimpin Xanax and figure you're boosting your client base by harassing track execs. Either way I'm thankful you're on our side!!!

You're killing me! I have heard that quite a few have entered therapy and have been prescribed Xanax.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #45
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H
If we only bet the Pick 5 and ignore the other bets, aren't we signalling that bettors appreciate and acknowledge the takeout reduction, but still see the other bets as over taxed?
It will take many hours to successfully handicap 5 races. When you put all that time and effort into handicapping 5/8ths of a racecard, you're really doing yourself a disservice if you can't bet those races individually. By doing the work and only betting the Pick 5, you're really going against the 'time is money' theory. I'm sure many smart players won't waste their time capping 5 races just to bet one horizontal bet.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply