Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #16
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i watched the Colts-Jets superbowl on a Sony Trinitron color television set that i bought for $329 for the very first time.
So you consider getting it back from the pawn shop as re-buying it?
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #17
ultracapper

Merger was agreed upon in 1966. Led to the first SB in January 1967. The NFL and AFL could only agree to hold a championship game, until 1970, when the 2 conferences agreed to administer the entire operation centrally, which lead to inter-conference play. In 1968, the Colts played all their games against NFL teams, the Jets played all their's against AFL teams. The only game that was played between a member of each conference was the SB. After 1970, the Colts, Browns and, most advantageously, the Steelers, were payed $3M to move from the NFC to the AFC. The Browns and Colts pocketed the $3M. The Rooneys invested it back into the team, and within 3 years had built a major powerhouse that is still running well enough to this day.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-14-2019, 07:56 AM   #18
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I was 12, and an avid reader. I seem to remember zipping through a couple dozen quickly written books by Dick Schaap and other Sports Illustrated writers about seemingly all the Jets in that game: Snell, Boozer, Maynard, Sauer, Sample and Hudson from the defense, all were worthy of an instant bio, it seemed, and Namath was worthy of many, and I read them all.

I kind of remember thinking that if I could blow out my Achilles tendon in gym class, that I might score some serious sympathy from the chicks, a la Namath.

A dozen or so years later I sat next to Weeb Ewbank at several Miami OH football games, which was pretty cool in the first place but made more so by him being a genuine, humble, patient, well-balanced guy who conversed easily with friends and strangers.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2019, 01:55 AM   #19
reckless
Veteran

The press conference was held at the Galt Ocean Mile in Fort Lauderdale.

Years later I spent my honeymoon there. Nice place for the times, right on the ocean.

We even met a comic and bit movie actor Billy DeWolf there, fwiw.

Sad to say, he died just a few weeks later.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #20
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
I was 12, and an avid reader. I seem to remember zipping through a couple dozen quickly written books by Dick Schaap and other Sports Illustrated writers about seemingly all the Jets in that game: Snell, Boozer, Maynard, Sauer, Sample and Hudson from the defense, all were worthy of an instant bio, it seemed, and Namath was worthy of many, and I read them all.

I kind of remember thinking that if I could blow out my Achilles tendon in gym class, that I might score some serious sympathy from the chicks, a la Namath.

A dozen or so years later I sat next to Weeb Ewbank at several Miami OH football games, which was pretty cool in the first place but made more so by him being a genuine, humble, patient, well-balanced guy who conversed easily with friends and strangers.
Namath was getting the chicks before the Achilles injury.

Lots of stories about him, but one I remember hearing was of the female reporter coming to his hotel room for a 2pm scheduled interview. She knocks on the door, and he answers it 10 seconds later, in his birthday suit. He just stood there, and finally asked her what she wanted, not even caring about his exposure. He'd forgotten about the appointment, and had made other "arraignments" with another "party".
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: