Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-07-2019, 07:11 PM   #1
Teach

Patriots vs. Chargers. Eagles v. Bears post-mortem

I’m still licking my wounds. This past weekend. I could have sworn the Bears would cover and win by at least a touchdown. Not!

Yes, the Bears defensive line was outstanding. Their motto: “Thou shalt not run!” But the Bears secondary… Yet, the man who made it all happen was the Eagles’ Nick Foles (free-agent at end of year). He was the “sine qua non”. The “indispensable man”.

Frankly, I would have liked to have seen Trubisky throw longer balls, earlier. There was also very little “razzle dazzle”. I thought the Bears’ game-plan was extremely conservative. And that ending. Ouch! I feel badly for those who bet the game “straight”. Cody Parkey easily nails it just after the Eagles call time, and then, as we all know, left upright…crossbar…and straight down! Reports are that reserve Eagles tackle, Treyvon Hester, tipped the ball (The double-doink field goal miss). Parkey had one blocked, earlier. Not his fault.

I’m not “sour-graping,” but I thought it was the Bears game to win. I do question Nagy on going for 2 instead of the nearly-sure extra-point.

This coming Sunday at 1 p.m., at “The Razor,” Patriots host Chargers.

Disclaimer: I’m a long-time Patriots fan (I saw them when they were the Boston Patriots. “Butch” Songin was their quarterback).

I got to believe the Pats can win this one. They’re perfect at home (The Chargers, however, have only lost one on the road). Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! May it please the wagering public.

The weather. Yes, the weather. As Mark Twain once said, “If you don’t like the weather in New England, wait a minute!” Sunday’s forecast calls for below-freezing temperatures with a gusty breeze from the north (lighthouse end of the field).

I feel that the Patriots, who are more conditioned to these types of temperatures, should benefit from the frosty conditions. LAC will be coming back East from LA where temps are currently in the 60s. A rude awakening.

Do you recall Chargers QB Philip Rivers racing for the locker room just before the half in Baltimore (even though a field goal was being kicked)? Rivers must have been freezing his ass off on the sideline; it only gets worse this Sunday. There’s even talk of a little snow (speculative). I believe all this works in New England’s favor. I wonder if the Chargers will be able to thaw out.

Is it me or was Rivers short-arming his throws against Baltimore. It was like he was “slinging” the ball. It certainly wasn’t a fluid motion. Yet, he seemed effective. However, what impact will the cold temps have on his throws?

Personally, I also wonder if he can effectively throw the long ball. Rivers also did some running against Baltimore. He might think twice about landing on the frozen Gillette turf.

What this all leads up to, in my opinion, is a Patriots edge. The Chargers are dealing with “The Master,” Bill Belichick. I thought I saw the over-under pegged at 48. I’d be tempted to go “under”. I believe it’s going to be very hard to get loose and limber. If the Patriots jump out quickly, I doubt they’ll run it up.

Finally, I just can’t see a Belichick-coached team letting the Chargers jump out quickly as they did against Baltimore.

In conclusion, it’s the weather.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
lamboguy

i think the Bears QB played with an injury. he didn't look right and i know a guy that bet big money on the Eagles knowing something and kept his mouth shut while the rest of the world were all betting on the Bears.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
ultracapper

Just gotta make a 40 yard field goal.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Teach

I see that the over-under has slid down to 45. I personally see the "under" as still viable because I envision a defensive struggle. I just can't see a "shootout" in those frigid weather conditions with two aged quarterbacks.

As for the Patriots, I worry about their special teams play. Was it the Chargers' Desmond King who had two solid returns against the Ravens? The Patriots can't afford to slip up in that category, especially in what I envision as a low-scoring game.

One thing the Patriots shouldn't do is cough up the football as often as the Ravens did. The Ravens dug themselves a hole, early; they didn't have enough time to extricate themselves from it.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
lamboguy

2 keys to this game:

1. weather

2. Bellicek with an extra week to prepare.

a month ago when the Patriots played the Steelers, they looked like gutter rats.

the week before against the Dolphins, they looked like they wanted no part of winning.

then they get their wins against teams that sent it in 2 months ago, The Bills and The Jets.

those 2 games makes it pretty tough to lay 4 points with the Pats, but i don't feel like taking the 4 either.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
Teach

Jet Lag et al.

I’ve flown to Vegas about a dozen times - I haven’t been there in years – in my lifetime. The point. Every time I flew out to Vegas from Boston (at least 6 hours, non-stop; slightly less coming back), I experienced jet-lag. That 3-hour time difference can be “a killer”. It took me a day or two to get acclimated. Once I did, it was usually time to go back to Beantown. The whole thing threw my body-clock off.

As for the Chargers, in reality, it’s like playing at 10 a.m. this coming Sunday morning. I don’t care what anyone says, it has to have an impact. Yes, you can counter by saying the Chargers beat Baltimore in Baltimore; yet, from my standpoint, the Ravens were sloppy. Frankly, I think they should have won that game. I don’t believe the Ravens played at their best.

On another note: the Chargers running back, Melvin Gordon, injured his knee (ACL sprain) in the Baltimore game. Further, anyone who’s had knee issues (I have) knows that the knee is like a finely-jeweled watch. Everything has to be in sync. I have to wonder if Gordon can play - if he does - at his best. The below-freezing temperatures will not help.

I ask: Will this cause the Chargers to go to the air more? Will the Patriots be able to tee-off on Philip Rivers?

Furthermore, the Patriots fans are like “the 12th man.” Their enthusiasm can be a factor.

Finally, besides the cold, will there be any snow? Some are saying that a potential storm will slip out south of us off the Mid-Atlantic coast. Yet, there could be what is called ocean-effect snow flurries that come down into the Boston area from stiff Northeast winds picking up ocean moisture and depositing it on land. I believe all this works in the Patriots favor.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Teach

An update on weather and other thoughts for Sunday's divisional game between the Patriots and Chargers.

The latest forecast seems to down-play the possibility of any snow on Sunday afternoon at Gillette. Winds, too, are expected to be less of a factor. Yet temps are predicted to, at most, reach the upper-20s. Wind chills could be in the lower-20s or even teens.

As I reflect on the game, I think, in light of a powerful Chargers front-four, e.g., Bosa, Ingram, et al., that the Patriots might consider screens and draws to slow down what promises to be a fierce pass-rush. Short throws over the middle may be part of the plan. Circle or angle routes that can pick up quick first-down yardage.

Again, as for concerns, the Patriots must not give up the big play on a punt or kickoff return. On kickoffs, if possible, boot the ball into the end zone. On punts, pin the kick-returner along the sideline. Even if the ball travels out of bounds, it's better than a lengthy return.

Personally, I believe it's going to be a low-scoring game. The team who makes the fewest errors, e.g., penalties, lost fumbles, interceptions, etc. should win it.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
burnsy
self medicated

It probably wont be Rivers if the Chargers win this game. It rests on their defense. They are tough, allowing 329 points this year and they had to play the Chiefs twice plus the Rams once. You take out those three games and they don't give up shit. Lamar Jackson was child's play for them last week and they feasted on the Ravens O line. Brady is Brady but hes gotta stand in there. If New England's line doesn't hold up.....this will be a hard game for them to win regardless of what Rivers does. Rivers might of been a little cold last week but that defense was flying around like no other. The Bears got all the "D" hype this year but this defense can match anyone's. That's where this game will be won or lost for either team, IMO.

The MO for beating the Pats is beating up Brady. That's how they lose playoff games. Now that hes older and cant move.....even more so. If he gets knocked around, the Chargers will win this game.

Last edited by burnsy; 01-11-2019 at 02:45 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2019, 03:37 PM   #9
jimmyb

I don't live far from Gillette, it's 19 degrees now, even bundled up it is cold. Gonna be the same Sunday. Not quite the Freezer Bowl temperature but San Diego will not like it.

Agree pats O&D lines have to play physical to win. I expect a short passing attack to James White and Julien Edelman. Both need to have a big game. Shutdown corner, Steve Gilmore a key.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Teach

Just out for my morning walk. Temperature was 20 degrees when I left. Wind chill had to be near zero. Dew point: desert-like. Dry. Cold. Piercing. The wind. In a word: brutal. The only exposed flesh was my face (no ski mask). I felt it. Penetrating. If you're moving into the wind, you'll definitely feel it, at least where I live about 20 miles west of Boston. Gillette could be the same, tomorrow. Any residual wind will make matters worse.

What's this all leading up to? I believe: Advantage Patriots. If you're not used to this, it's a shock to your system, i.e., LA Chargers.

I believe it will be a low-scoring game. It will boil down to the will to win. Avoid mistakes. Take advantage of opportunities.

By the way, if you're going to Gillette, layer yourself. I had heavy mittens on this morning; yet I still found myself making fists inside my gloves and wiggling my fingers. Ya gotta want it! The game, that is. Again, the will to win.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #11
HHE10
BANNED

Cool

On all of the Chargers social media accounts, it has them in shorts and some t-shirts. Its going to be freezing in New England. Hopefully the Chargers can pull off a win against the Pats.

Chargers +3

Chiefs -5

Rams -6.5

Saints -5.5

GO CHARGERS and GOOD LUCK TO ALL !!
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 PM   #12
ElKabong

Pats fans are so much like cowboys fans it's scary. All week the fans here, even the media, didn't give the Rams a chance to cover, little chance to win.

No skin in the game, but the Chargers look like the better team.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 AM   #13
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Pats fans are so much like cowboys fans it's scary. All week the fans here, even the media, didn't give the Rams a chance to cover, little chance to win.

No skin in the game, but the Chargers look like the better team.
I loved the Rams. Not everyone said they didn’t have a chance. I thought the Cowboys didn’t have a chance. And they didn’t. Others here picked the Rams too.That game was ugly for the Cowboys.

Last edited by burnsy; 01-13-2019 at 10:16 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Teach

Final weather update and prediction.

Took my morning walk. Much less windy. Maybe, 5 to as much as 8 mph. Streamers at top of goalposts should show little movement. Yet, it was still mighty cold. What impact that will have on the game I can't say. Both teams have to deal with it. Will the Brady-Belichick mystique be enough? I'm afraid to say, "I don't think so." I do believe it will be a tight one. My prediction: Chargers 17, Patriots 14.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 01-13-2019, 02:28 PM   #15
jimmyb

Chargers need a Patton style weather prayer.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply