Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 01-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #1
Teach

"Even-Steven"

It was growing dark. There was still over 100 miles to Vegas. There was a handicapping contest there, the next morning.

This Phoenix bookie had just travelled north on Route #93 and had hooked a left onto Interstate #40. He was fast approaching Kingman, AZ. But where to stay. All the motels were displaying "No Vacancy" signs.

The bookie was in a quandary. “What should I do?” he thought. He stopped at a gas station to fill up and ask where he could find lodging. The attendant told him about a place north of there beyond the airport on the old route #66.

Seconds later, the bookie starts travelling north up route #66. About five miles from the airport he finds this old, nearly deserted motel. It looked so run-down from the outside that the bookie thought of skipping it, but then, he spotted this sign out front: "Even-Steven." He liked the name. It intrigued him. It had a nice ring to it. So he decided to pull into the empty parking lot.

As he walked up the stairs, he was greeted by the proprietor, a middle-aged man with a cane. "Welcome stranger," the proprietor said. "You can have just about any room in the place. Have you had dinner?" the proprietor continued. "No," replied the bookie. "Well, we don’t have much, but I can rustle up a steak. I can also cook you a baked potato, and I’ve got gallons of coffee." "Sounds good," said the bookie.

About a half-hour later, the proprietor brings the bookie his meal. "Mind if I join you for some coffee," the proprietor inquired. "Be my guest," replies the bookie. What ensued was a tale of woe. The proprietor told the bookie how his once thriving motel business had gone downhill when they built Interstate #40. He went on to say that he had taken a part-time job in a warehouse to supplement his income; that’s when he hurt his back. Now he needed a cane to help him get about. His three daughters (the bookie noticed some attractive women in the kitchen) all had to leave the motel to find jobs in Kingman.

When the proprietor finished, the bookie asks, "One thing intrigues me. How’d ya come up with the catchy name: "Even-Steven?" The proprietor replies, "My name is Bill Even. I thought the name "Even-Steven" would be one people would remember."

Then, the proprietor inquired, "Hope I’m not bein’ too nosy, but what you all doing in these parts?" The bookie replies, "I’m on my way to Vegas for a horse racing handicapping tournament. You see, I’m a bookie and I love the action in Vegas." The proprietor replies, "Pardon me for being so ignorant, but what do bookies do?" The bookie replies, "Basically, I accept bets on horse racing and sports. I also lay odds. Oh, there are other things, but that’s basically it."

With that, the bookie requested he be shown his room. He was going to be up early the next morning for his drive to Vegas. As the bookie settled into his room, there was this knock on the door. "Come in," the bookie said. Just then, this ravishing redhead in low-cut lingerie walks in. In a coquettish voice, the redhead said, "I’m Erica Even. Nights here in the desert can be mighty chilly.” I can help keep you warm? "No," replied the bookie, "I just want to read my DRF and nod off to sleep."

Minutes later, another knock. "Come in," called the bookie. At the doorway was this beautiful, curvaceous brunette in a red teddy with fish-net stockings and spiked heels. "Hi," she said. "I’m Evangeline Even. I’m a certified masseuse. I thought you might like a nice back-rub." "No thanks," said the bookie. "I just want to go over some racing figures and then get some sleep."

Minutes later, another knock on the door. This buxom blonde appears in the doorway. This Mamie Van Doren look-alike is scantily-clothed in bikini underwear. She introduces herself as Evita Even. She asks the bookie if he’d like to share “a nightcap” with her. "No thanks," replies the bookie. "I just want to go over my Beyer figures and get a good night’s sleep."

Oh, about a minute later the proprietor himself walks in. The bookie can see in his face that he is quite upset. The proprietor says, "I don’t understand you. I send you up my three daughters. Three of the most beautiful women in the Hualapai Valley, and you won’t give any one of three “a tumble”. What’s with you?" The bookie pauses for a moment; he then says, "Remember what I told you when you asked me what I did as a bookie. I don’t lay Evens...only odds!"

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
It was growing dark. There was still over 100 miles to Vegas. There was a handicapping contest there, the next morning.

This Phoenix bookie had just travelled north on Route #93 and had hooked a left onto Interstate #40. He was fast approaching Kingman, AZ. But where to stay. All the motels were displaying "No Vacancy" signs.

The bookie was in a quandary. “What should I do?” he thought. He stopped at a gas station to fill up and ask where he could find lodging. The attendant told him about a place north of there beyond the airport on the old route #66.

Seconds later, the bookie starts travelling north up route #66. About five miles from the airport he finds this old, nearly deserted motel. It looked so run-down from the outside that the bookie thought of skipping it, but then, he spotted this sign out front: "Even-Steven." He liked the name. It intrigued him. It had a nice ring to it. So he decided to pull into the empty parking lot.

As he walked up the stairs, he was greeted by the proprietor, a middle-aged man with a cane. "Welcome stranger," the proprietor said. "You can have just about any room in the place. Have you had dinner?" the proprietor continued. "No," replied the bookie. "Well, we don’t have much, but I can rustle up a steak. I can also cook you a baked potato, and I’ve got gallons of coffee." "Sounds good," said the bookie.

About a half-hour later, the proprietor brings the bookie his meal. "Mind if I join you for some coffee," the proprietor inquired. "Be my guest," replies the bookie. What ensued was a tale of woe. The proprietor told the bookie how his once thriving motel business had gone downhill when they built Interstate #40. He went on to say that he had taken a part-time job in a warehouse to supplement his income; that’s when he hurt his back. Now he needed a cane to help him get about. His three daughters (the bookie noticed some attractive women in the kitchen) all had to leave the motel to find jobs in Kingman.

When the proprietor finished, the bookie asks, "One thing intrigues me. How’d ya come up with the catchy name: "Even-Steven?" The proprietor replies, "My name is Bill Even. I thought the name "Even-Steven" would be one people would remember."

Then, the proprietor inquired, "Hope I’m not bein’ too nosy, but what you all doing in these parts?" The bookie replies, "I’m on my way to Vegas for a horse racing handicapping tournament. You see, I’m a bookie and I love the action in Vegas." The proprietor replies, "Pardon me for being so ignorant, but what do bookies do?" The bookie replies, "Basically, I accept bets on horse racing and sports. I also lay odds. Oh, there are other things, but that’s basically it."

With that, the bookie requested he be shown his room. He was going to be up early the next morning for his drive to Vegas. As the bookie settled into his room, there was this knock on the door. "Come in," the bookie said. Just then, this ravishing redhead in low-cut lingerie walks in. In a coquettish voice, the redhead said, "I’m Erica Even. Nights here in the desert can be mighty chilly.” I can help keep you warm? "No," replied the bookie, "I just want to read my DRF and nod off to sleep."

Minutes later, another knock. "Come in," called the bookie. At the doorway was this beautiful, curvaceous brunette in a red teddy with fish-net stockings and spiked heels. "Hi," she said. "I’m Evangeline Even. I’m a certified masseuse. I thought you might like a nice back-rub." "No thanks," said the bookie. "I just want to go over some racing figures and then get some sleep."

Minutes later, another knock on the door. This buxom blonde appears in the doorway. This Mamie Van Doren look-alike is scantily-clothed in bikini underwear. She introduces herself as Evita Even. She asks the bookie if he’d like to share “a nightcap” with her. "No thanks," replies the bookie. "I just want to go over my Beyer figures and get a good night’s sleep."

Oh, about a minute later the proprietor himself walks in. The bookie can see in his face that he is quite upset. The proprietor says, "I don’t understand you. I send you up my three daughters. Three of the most beautiful women in the Hualapai Valley, and you won’t give any one of three “a tumble”. What’s with you?" The bookie pauses for a moment; he then says, "Remember what I told you when you asked me what I did as a bookie. I don’t lay Evens...only odds!"
You know, there was a lot of promise in the beginning.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: