Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-02-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Johnny V

The 49-0 statistic to me has really no relevance to much of anything. Rocky the best of his time as a heavyweight perhaps but remember he did not start boxing at all until a relatively old age for a fighter. Floyd arguably the best of his time pound for pound. Both men fought what was in front of them and won and that is all could could ask of any boxer.
The stats that impress me are ones like these. Archie Moore knocked out 131 opponents. Willie Pep, who some say was the best boxer pound for pound that ever lived, won 62 fights in a row, lost one fight and then won the next 73 fights in a row. Pretty impressive stuff.
Johnny V is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2015, 02:17 PM   #17
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny V
The 49-0 statistic to me has really no relevance to much of anything. Rocky the best of his time as a heavyweight perhaps but remember he did not start boxing at all until a relatively old age for a fighter. Floyd arguably the best of his time pound for pound. Both men fought what was in front of them and won and that is all could could ask of any boxer.
The stats that impress me are ones like these. Archie Moore knocked out 131 opponents. Willie Pep, who some say was the best boxer pound for pound that ever lived, won 62 fights in a row, lost one fight and then won the next 73 fights in a row. Pretty impressive stuff.
Funny I used to see Archie Moore at a supermarket in San Diego in the late 80s. The guy looked straight broke, driving a pickup truck that reminded me of Fred Sanford. It was sad.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #18
Stillriledup
Veteran

Rich Eisen asked Ed Oneill (al bundy) about Mayweather and he laughed and said I could name 25 Guys off the top of my head who would Knock out Mayweather.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Rich Eisen asked Ed Oneill (al bundy) about Mayweather and he laughed and said I could name 25 Guys off the top of my head who would Knock out Mayweather.
You have to actually hit him to knock him out. That doesn't happen very often.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-09-2016, 03:07 PM   #20
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
You have to actually hit him to knock him out. That doesn't happen very often.
That's a good point. He doesn't stand there trading blows like real fighters did back in the day.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:26 PM   #21
ronsmac

Quote:
That's a good point. He doesn't stand there trading blows like real fighters did back in the day.
I'd say Ray Leonard , Willie Pep and Ali were real fighters and they didnt sit there taking punishment for no reason. Jack Johnson fought more than 100 years ago and he figured out taking a lot of punches wasn't necessarily a smart thing. Plus those 25 guys Al Bundy's talking about probably couldn't remember how to tie their shoes by the time they were 50 years old.

Last edited by ronsmac; 03-09-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I'd say Ray Leonard , Willie Pep and Ali were real fighters and they didnt sit there taking punishment for no reason. Jack Johnson fought more than 100 years ago and he figured out taking a lot of punches wasn't necessarily a smart thing. Plus those 25 guys Al Bundy's talking about probably couldn't remember how to tie their shoes by the time they were 50 years old.
Tying shoes or not, you get credit for fighting. Mayweather gets credit for being smart about the 'fight' game he figured out a way to make tens of millions without actually fighting anyone.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #23
ronsmac

Quote:
Tying shoes or not, you get credit for fighting. Mayweather gets credit for being smart about the 'fight' game he figured out a way to make tens of millions without actually fighting anyone.
Nobody was good enough to make him fight. Tyrell Biggs and an old Larry Holmes wanted to box Tyson but Tyson wouldn't let them. Frazier ali 1..Frazier was at the top of his game and could make a fight of it. Guys like Canelo, Pacman, Gatti and Diego Corrales just couldn't do it to Mayweather because he was too good.