Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
ronsmac

marciano vs Mayweather

I know a lot of people don't like Mayweather, and he's not the most exciting fighter to watch since he moved up from Jr. welterweight, but how can anyone objectively say Marciano's 49-0 is more impressive than Mayweather's 48-0. Jersey Joe , Archie Moore and Ezzard Charles, really? Mayweather has been doing it for almost 20 years. What did Rocky have, like 7 title fights?

Last edited by ronsmac; 08-31-2015 at 08:41 PM.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
but how can anyone objectively say Marciano's 49-0 is more impressive than Mayweather's 48-0.
Who says that?
Old 08-31-2015, 09:27 PM   #3
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave
Who says that?
I was looking at a poll on the bleacher report. 62% thought Marciano's record was more impressive. Even if you think Marciano was the better fighter, which I don't, there's no way his record is more impressive.

Last edited by ronsmac; 08-31-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #4
TJDave

Quote:
I was looking at a poll on the bleacher report. 62% thought Marciano's record was more impressive. Even if you think Marciano was the better fighter, which I don't, there's no way his record is more impressive.
I don't know the average age of bleacher report contributors but I remember Marciano. He was a beloved warrior. I can understand the sentiment...now, mostly imagined. I read the interview with his son. Like father, like son...not.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Maybe it was an April Fool's Joke?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #6
Dr Gonzo
Bluesman

Well .......... Marciano never ducked Ronda Rousey.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #7
lamboguy

Marciano beat guys he was never supposed to beat like Jersey Joe Walcott and Ezzard Charles. he went undefeated for his career just like Mayweather.

both were the best of the best, hard to say one was better than the other.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #8
Inner Dirt

While both are great fighters of their era nether belong on anyone's greatest
fighter of all time list. Both are undefeated due to sub par competition in the era that they fought. Marciano won fights on shear will, he had a good chin and great power for a 190 pounder, and never stopped coming. He had a very short reach, poor footwork and next to no defensive skills. He would have had
trouble beating any of the top ten heavyweights of the 70's

Mayweather earned 48-0 mostly by running away and outpointing opponents.
Almost half his fights have went the distance and most his knockouts came in his first couple years as a pro. Toss him in the 80's and he would pick up quite a few losses.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
Marshall Bennett

Different era, different weight division, different game. Like comparing apples and oranges.
Since when weren't Jersey Joe, Ezzard Charles, and Archie Moore good fighters?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Different era, different weight division, different game. Like comparing apples and oranges.
The deal is Marciano beat Walcott and Moore when both were in their late 30's. Charles already had double digit losses when Marciano beat him. Marciano also sometimes struggled against journeymen fighters that had losing records. Of course you can only beat who is put in front of you and no one accused Marciano of ducking anyone. Marciano also beat an over the hill Joe Louis who had come out of retirement because of tax problems. Marquee wins
against highly regarded opponents in their prime Rocky does not have.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Good one.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:14 PM   #12
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
That's 5 decent fights and all were getting or already old. Mayweather has had titles for 18 yrs and fought 30 title fights. He's defeated some legendary fighters and some really good ones. The 1st Castillo fight is the only real test he's ever had.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #13
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
LOL he got you back didn't he? Who has Mayweather fought? Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, Arturo Gatti, a broken down Pacquiao, probably his toughest opponent was Roberto Guerrero. Now he's gonna fight Berto? Why doesn't he fight Triple G? I know he's a welter and triple g's a full middleweight, but they can make it work. Promoters can make anything work. Think of the $$$ THAT would bring in. Andre Berto?? Get real Mayweather.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2015, 09:03 PM   #14
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg
LOL he got you back didn't he? Who has Mayweather fought? Ricky Hatton, Zab Judah, Arturo Gatti, a broken down Pacquiao, probably his toughest opponent was Roberto Guerrero. Now he's gonna fight Berto? Why doesn't he fight Triple G? I know he's a welter and triple g's a full middleweight, but they can make it work. Promoters can make anything work. Think of the $$$ THAT would bring in. Andre Berto?? Get real Mayweather.
Plus Genaro Hernandez , Shane Mosely, Delahoya .Diego Corrales who was an undefeated wrecking machine at the time. Marquez who knocked Manny cold, Castillo twice, Canelo and Cotto who are both still champs at higher weights. The guy has beaten everybody, albeit some in boring methodical fashion.

Last edited by ronsmac; 09-01-2015 at 09:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM   #15
LottaKash

Quote:
Plus Genaro Hernandez , Shane Mosely, Delahoya .Diego Corrales who was an undefeated wrecking machine at the time. Marquez who knocked Manny cold, Castillo twice, Canelo and Cotto who are both still champs at higher weights. The guy has beaten everybody, albeit some in boring methodical fashion.
Ronsmac, I forgotten a bit about those...

Imo, Mayweather, pound for pound, is/was the best of the best, of All-Time..

And at going on 71, I have seen and followed a whole bunch of em, come and go.....