Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #106
dasch

Beyer added points to the race due to the "slow pace"

TimeformUS gave the horses lower numbers but shaded the pace blue for the "slow pace"

I broke out the race and used a different variant and believe the pace was only average to a little slow.

In the end I guess we all basically end at about the same number for the horses so no matter what happens moving forward everybody will be comfortable with what they chose.

Last edited by dasch; 01-13-2016 at 05:38 PM.
dasch is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #107
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasch
Beyer added points to the race due to the "slow pace"

TimeformUS gave the horses lower numbers but shaded the pace blue for the "slow pace"

I broke out the race and used a different variant and believe the pace was only average to a little slow.

In the end I guess we all basically end at about the same number for the horses so no matter what happens moving forward everybody will be comfortable with what they chose.
I didn't give the horses "lower numbers"...that is what they ran in my opinion. I'm just saying the slow pace is a factor in why. It isn't like a 118 is chopped liver, it is a G3 type number for older males.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-13-2016, 07:29 PM   #108
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Ok, so let me get this straight, the "slow pace" wasn't a slow pace for Alpha Bird but he ran 5 points lower on your numbers than his last race because of the "slow pace"?

Huh?
This is the part that can be confusing. It was a slow pace for California Chrome, the winner. The winner's final time figure is the baseline for our red/blue coding. That is about the best I can explain it.

I'll try one other way. Let's say a maiden claimer was in the race that is about a 60 type horse. He was in third a length off the opening quarter for a 90 pace figure. Wouldn't that be "fast" for him while still be slow for graded stakes horses? This is the same thing as Alfa Bird, only to the extreme.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #109
dasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I didn't give the horses "lower numbers"...that is what they ran in my opinion. I'm just saying the slow pace is a factor in why. It isn't like a 118 is chopped liver, it is a G3 type number for older males.
By "gave the horses lower numbers" I meant you gave every horse in the race a lower number than you gave them in their last race(by 3-9 pts)
Old 01-13-2016, 11:39 PM   #110
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
By "gave the horses lower numbers" I meant you gave every horse in the race a lower number than you gave them in their last race(by 3-9 pts)
OK but that isn't unusual for a race with a slow pace. If I could run 100 meters in 12 seconds (I can't) but one day I jog the first 20, I could never run my best time. But I could still win a race if I was in against guys that can't crack 14.

In the end, given the last race was consistent with the other races and there was nothing weather related, I try to stick with using the same variant for all the races around the same number of turns. I'm not averse to doing it when I feel there is additional evidence, but when I doubt I don't break out.

I took a lot of grief for doing just that with California Chrome's Derby, but it turned out to be the right decision. I don't get them all right, but I have a pretty good record on the tough calls. The same happened with American Pharoah's "slow" Derby this year. I had it rated fast and stuck by it. He didn't let me down either.

Last edited by cj; 01-13-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:54 AM   #111
dasch

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
OK but that isn't unusual for a race with a slow pace. If I could run 100 meters in 12 seconds (I can't) but one day I jog the first 20, I could never run my best time. But I could still win a race if I was in against guys that can't crack 14.

In the end, given the last race was consistent with the other races and there was nothing weather related, I try to stick with using the same variant for all the races around the same number of turns. I'm not averse to doing it when I feel there is additional evidence, but when I doubt I don't break out.

I took a lot of grief for doing just that with California Chrome's Derby, but it turned out to be the right decision. I don't get them all right, but I have a pretty good record on the tough calls. The same happened with American Pharoah's "slow" Derby this year. I had it rated fast and stuck by it. He didn't let me down either.
And you and I discussed both of those races and agreed with each other. I was also 100% sure that we were on the right side then which is why I was pretty surprised this time. The reason I will say things with such certainty is because my methodology doesn't involve ANY opinion.

There wont be any proving right or wrong on this one because everybody will adjust either for the perceived slow pace or if it was already added in we all end up at about the same place.

Last edited by dasch; 01-14-2016 at 01:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #112
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'll be on today around 12:10 ET with Dave Weaver and Tom Cassidy.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:27 PM   #113
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Did a Podcast with Jason Beem, listen here if you have a second.

https://www.betamerica.com/extra/barn-episode-12516/
Old 01-25-2016, 04:54 PM   #114
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Enjoyed it a lot CJ. Well done, both of you! BetAmerica is my ADW (the only one that will allow some of us in certain parts of the country to bet online by the way).

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 PM   #115
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Enjoyed it a lot CJ. Well done, both of you! BetAmerica is my ADW (the only one that will allow some of us in certain parts of the country to bet online by the way).
Thanks, Jason made it easy, was all on the fly. I had no idea what was coming but he clearly did his homework.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:02 PM   #116
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Did a Podcast with Jason Beem, listen here if you have a second.

https://www.betamerica.com/extra/barn-episode-12516/
Great Interview !!!! Mr. Beem has a great sense of humor

Z
Old 02-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #117
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

https://www.tvg.com/blog/2016/02/02/...-january-31st/

Be on a little after 12 ET today discussing some of the races in the link above with Dave Weaver and Britney Eurton.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #118
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Same time today, a little after 12. I'll be on with Matt and Dave.

https://www.tvg.com/blog/2016/02/09/...-february-7th/

Last edited by cj; 02-10-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #119
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Coming on in a few minutes with Matt and Scott Hazelton.

https://www.tvg.com/blog/2016/02/17/...s-day-weekend/
Old 02-22-2016, 10:51 AM   #120
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Switching up a little and going on air a little after 1pm ET today, 11am PT.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: