Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: A horse pooping in the post parade is a:
positive sign 60 49.59%
negative sign 61 50.41%
Voters: 121. This poll is closed

Old 10-10-2013, 04:23 AM   #31
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag

What a pleasant surprise to see a taboo subject being discussed out in the open like this.
I have always wondered about this topic and also about the other side of it. Do horses try to eat the grass on the turf course?
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 04:40 AM   #32
HUSKER55

have you ever tried to do anything when you need to potty.

here is a check from publishers clearing house

and you really need to go

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #33
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

From Tom Ivers....

Complete Guide to Claiming Thoroughbreds

"If your horse is warmed up enough before a race, he'll urinate and defecate, dropping five to fifteen pounds from his body before he goes into the gate. If he's warmed up properly, he'll inject enough red cells into his bloodstream to effectively double his oxygen carrying capacity. At rest, some 92% of his blood vessels are shut down and a long, vigorous warm up is necessary to open them all. Exceedingly few Thoroughbreds get a proper per-race warmup."

This is known as spleen dumping.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #34
Valuist

Its been years since I saw Joe Takach's DVD on horse body language. I seem to remember he addressed this briefly (shall I say he "poo poo'd it?). From my purely anecdotal evidence, I see it not necessarily as a problem but potentially a symptom of a problem. If the horse has shown signs of skittishness, difficult to saddle, fighting the groom in the walking ring, or kidney sweat, the dump can be further evidence the horse is nervous. If it happens when the horse is just walking in the saddling area, it probably means nothing. And somebody mentioned earlier, if its not solid, definitely not a good sign.

The post above mine is interesting, although toward the end it states "exceeding ly few thoroughbreds get a proper pre race warmup". That may explain why we don't see that many horses dumping right before the race. I wouldn't say its rare but certainly doesn't happen every race. I had felt that the closer toward the race it occurred, the more likely it was from nervousness.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM   #35
BIG HIT

poopers

When i was young man a old man said when they are in post parade don't bet them.Because they just ate.Can't say ever seen one win in 30 yrs playing horse.But can't remenber sh* t for last well don't remenber that ethier lol
BIG HIT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #36
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbag
I arrived in the bathroom, tablet in hand, with the odds on my post being deleted at 3-5.

What a pleasant surprise to see a taboo subject being discussed out in the open like this.

I'd like to shake hands with every one of you, after I wash of course.
Yes, please do.. Wash that is....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #37
chadk66

I think it needs to be a national rule that the track announcer has to announce if a horse craps in the post parade. After all it is information that any good handicapper should have access to.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 09:09 AM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
I think it needs to be a national rule that the track announcer has to announce if a horse craps in the post parade. After all it is information that any good handicapper should have access to.
And it must be weighed and reported.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #39
brivolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by infrontby1
I mean, think about it for a moment; if you just pooped, would you be completely up to to running a 100 meter dash? I know I would just want to hit the couch and watch some races
On the other hand, I can't continue walking while I poop. So maybe it doesn't take as much energy for them as it does for us.
brivolta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #40
BIG49010

For what it's worth in Jack VanBerg's book he talks about making them pee, before exercise, to prevent tie-ups. So perhaps good pee positive, big shit negative?
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #41
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG HIT
When i was young man a old man said when they are in post parade don't bet them.Because they just ate.Can't say ever seen one win in 30 yrs playing horse.But can't remenber sh* t for last well don't remenber that ethier lol
I really must agree with BIG HIT! I have only been following racing for about the last 18 years and personally I have only once witnessed as I recall one horse win that evacuated his goods just before entering the gate... I know if I am watching a race with my wife, I normally say, uh oh, this is not good!!!

Very interesting topic.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #42
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
absolutely. and the moisture content revealed at that time also.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #43
Beachbabe

This thread stinks.
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #44
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
And drug tested.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #45
shouldacoulda

Race 7 at Keenland today. I liked the Watching them go in the gate I see the tail up on the . Sure enough, half way into the gate he starts emptying out. I always thought it was a positive sign but I'm thinking it's too close to the race. Who beats me at the wire? The of course, who is now a few pounds lighter with one thing less on her mind.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: