Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you be playing the 14% takeout Early Pick 5 at Hollywood Park
Hell No! Not until they lower all the exotic takeouts 45 48.91%
Absolutely! It's a good value 27 29.35%
Not sure 20 21.74%
Voters: 92. This poll is closed

Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
GameTheory

The poor product I may not like, but I can deal with it. In other words, I can still find a bet once in a while. (To me, the definition of a good or bad product is how many good betting opportunities does it give me.) So a poor product means lower number of bets, but there would still be some.

The surface isn't a big deal to me -- everyone else is in the same boat in terms of analyzing it and someone has to win. The surface issue is more of a safety thing or a problem for the horsemen than a betting obstacle (for me).

But until they lower the takeout in a significant and general way, then I will be betting zero. It boils down to that, period.
GameTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
andymays
Veteran

http://www.drf.com/blogs/election-day

Excerpt:

The ballot box opens Thursday, when the least expensive wager in California makes its debut on opening day of the Hollywood Park spring-summer meet.

California raised the exotic-wager takeout rate by a 10- to 15-percent margin Jan. 1 (from 20.68 cents per dollar, to 22.68 and 23.68). The cost went up, demand went down. Winter handle plummeted.

This occurred in the face of an arrogant attitude by some.

“Takeout does not matter,” a horseman told me in January. “You gamblers will bet on anything.”

No, we won’t. Someone got the message.

http://www.drf.com/blogs/election-day
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder who he's referring to when he mentions arrogant attitude?

Last edited by andymays; 04-20-2011 at 06:33 PM.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 06:39 PM   #18
mannyberrios
easygoer

Wink

I want to see Hollywood Park get their groove back
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
jelly
Veteran

“Takeout does not matter,” a horseman told me in January. “You gamblers will bet on anything.”

No, we won’t. Someone got the message.

Hollywood this spring will offer a low-takeout pick five that begins in the first race. The 14-percent takeout on the 50-cent bet is the lowest in the state.

It is refreshing when a racetrack takes a proactive measure that favors its customers.

It is up to horseplayers to respond.

Want to do send California racing a message? Vote with your bankroll Thursday.

bradfree's blog

Why didn't Brad mention the Horseman?Did the horseman not want to be mentioned?

Is 14% a low takeout to brad free?

All is forgiving,Cal gave the horseplayer a Looooooow takeout bet.Brad says we should bet now.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyberrios
I want to see Hollywood Park get their groove back
The only shot California has at getting it's groove back is to decertify the TOC. They are the biggest obstacle to rescinding or lowering the exotics takeout. I believe a rival owners group filed to decertify them last week.

http://www.calhorsemen.org/index.htm

CTHA's IMMEDIATE GOALS

• End TOC's discrimination against horsemen.
• Set minimum percentages to purses from ADW, Rebaters, and all out of state sources.
Support, respect and listen to our customers, the horseplayers.
• Increase purses through informed decisions, such as optimizing takeout and allowing wagering flexibility.
• Strengthen Northern California racing.
• Encourage realistic medication policies with appropriate sanctions against wrongdoers.
• Maintain offsite stabling and vanning through intelligent use of resources.
• Begin working closely with national horsemen's groups.
• Minimize costs through cooperative purchasing of insurance, feed, veterinary care, farrier services, etc.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
point given

The p5 is located in tthe wrong spot, it should start with 5 races to go and end with the last race. It will not be played as much because east coast tracks are still running and bettors donot switch over til the middle of the west coast card.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #22
funnsss1

Lightbulb So cal racing

rescinding there increases on the exotics would help get some players back but also fuller fields is a must to attract the real horseplayers.The writing of some of there races has to improve and the stewards must show some consistency in there rulings which has been sadly lacking.I know a handfull of santa anita players who have stopped playing california because of the take outs and the lack of consistent stewards rulings.Also make racing real not predetermined might get the real gamblers back spending money.
funnsss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnsss1
rescinding there increases on the exotics would help get some players back but also fuller fields is a must to attract the real horseplayers.The writing of some of there races has to improve and the stewards must show some consistency in there rulings which has been sadly lacking.I know a handfull of santa anita players who have stopped playing california because of the take outs and the lack of consistent stewards rulings.Also make racing real not predetermined might get the real gamblers back spending money.
Stewards in California 'get it'. They leave the winners alone probably moreso than other places. If you cross the line first in Calif, you have a good chance of being paid. You gotta like that.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnsss1
http://englishplus.com/grammar/00000256.htm
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 07:50 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

never do they get another damn dime from me until they reform the whole system in CA.

I think it might damn near be impossible to fix. There is almost no way I can see them creating enough good will to turn me around. And I was primarily a SoCal player.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #26
Dan H

If we only bet the Pick 5 and ignore the other bets, aren't we signalling that bettors appreciate and acknowledge the takeout reduction, but still see the other bets as over taxed?
Dan H is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #27
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H
If we only bet the Pick 5 and ignore the other bets, aren't we signalling that bettors appreciate and acknowledge the takeout reduction, but still see the other bets as over taxed?
Yes, but it's like eating one potato chip. You've got to have some discipline.

If peope were able to do that we would see some more low takeout wagers in a short amount of time.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
macguy

I won't be betting California until they go back to at least the 2010 takeout rates. The takeout rise was a mistake, they need to acknowledge the mistake and correct it.

Their Pick 5 rate is a nice little gesture, but it seems nearly every "A" track will be offering one in some form or another this year.
macguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #29
JohnGalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H

I could only bet the pick 5---BUT, what if I find a juicy 12-1 to play in the pick 5 (good takeout), wouldn't I also want to put it on top of a trifecta, superfecta, and in pick 3's and 4's (bad takeout)?

I voted no for the above reason.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2011, 08:12 PM   #30
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1
I could only bet the pick 5---BUT, what if I find a juicy 12-1 to play in the pick 5 (good takeout), wouldn't I also want to put it on top of a trifecta, superfecta, and in pick 3's and 4's (bad takeout)?

I voted no for the above reason.
WPS is still low. But I get your point. That's what happens to me at Gulfstream.