Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #31
clicknow

I live local to my track's meet now, but if I didn't, and one of my "vacations" involved a week at the track, I'd save up all year, book early, and spend the $$ to be as close to the track, the ambience and the general racing atmosphere for the full experience. ("have fun, spend money").

If I got to do this 5x or 10x or 20x a year, then any old place to stay would do....I'd only be spending enough time in my room to sleep and handicap for next day anyway.

Certainly, if I lived in a less picturesque environment, that wasn't surrounded by nature or that "country" feel, I'd go for experience #1 even moreso, because I'd be getting out of the high density busy hamster wheel and driving in traffic every day...... vacations are supposed to serve as a healthy RESET for the mind and body.

Last edited by clicknow; 07-17-2018 at 04:52 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 11:17 PM   #32
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I'll be up there with an Airbnb close enough.

Not sure what your appetite is for Airbnb, but its a good alternative.

Airbnb makes sense for me because I'm going alone, just for 2 days from Fort Lauderdale.

I can tolerate any Airbnb because I just want lie down for a few hours and freshenup 2x a day.

My routine is Breakfast with the horses @ the track 6:30 am, then walk over to the Oklahoma and see what's shaking over there. Then back to place for refresh and out to the track 11:30 AM to 7:30 PM, back to place for refresh, out to Carolina street for dinner, back at place 11m. Up at 6 am for Breakfast with the horse's. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

This $300 a night Saratoga,

This $115 a night 4 miles away.

I am looking forward to it immensely.
When do you handicap?
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #33
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post
Yep. Malta diner is a good choice for cheap eats.

Allan
I've eaten there a number of times. Good diner food.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #34
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
When do you handicap?
lol. Thank you for calling what I do Handicapping. I appreciate that. Lately I refer to what I do as: Fairytail'ing. Because nothing I read comes true!

Speaking of Handicapping. I honestly cannot tell the difference between a 7/5 and a 2-1. I mean, I can, if I know the horses, and I know the races he is coming out of and blah blah blah.

But software does a much better job identifying slight differences than I ever could on horses that are .80 to 2.20

What I do, and what I enjoy, is identifying horses that will Outrun Their Odds.

Picking winners is great. need those. 12 horse field. But what feels worse? Watching a 2-1 run 4th, or me watching my 27-1 run 4th?

I attempt to loop my hard-to-finds in with the right fav's or 2nd houdini. Hard to do. But I enjoy it.

Last edited by Suff; 07-18-2018 at 03:35 PM. Reason: grammar
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #35
HalvOnHorseracing

Stay in Amsterdam. They have decent hotels fairly cheap. About 40 min to the track is the downside.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:43 AM   #36
Rico8812

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Stay in Amsterdam. They have decent hotels fairly cheap. About 40 min to the track is the downside.
Jesus, what ever you do, DO NOT stay in Amsterdam. Awful advice.
Rico8812 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 02:25 PM   #37
sonnyp

Amsterdam ???? really ????
sonnyp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 12:14 PM   #38
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico8812 View Post
I'm a local, but suggest for the full experience bite the bullet and get a hotel in town or get one in Lake George and enjoy the Lake for a day or two. Do not recommend staying in Clifton Park, Glens Falls or especially not Albany. Just not the same. In fact, way worse.
Rico would you recommend anything in town or in Lake George on a weekend for <$200/night?
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 02:40 PM   #39
lex

Also ZippyChippy I recommend you come back when you can stop by Old Friends Cabin Creek to meet Zippy Chippy
lex is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: