Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #1
coachv30

Anyone playing Crooked River?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

Maybe Track Collector or scanman are. Are adws offering it? Next stop Ely or Elko.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Hambletonian

Seems to be on TwinSpire's schedule.

A nice fair with decent racing, I enjoyed my visit there many years ago.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 PM   #4
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Maybe Track Collector or scanman are. Are adws offering it? Next stop Ely or Elko.
Oddly enough, Crooked River (Prineville) is one of the 10 or so tracks in North America that I haven't been to. Hope to visit within the next couple of years. Thankfully, the fairs/bush tracks in Oregon are doing okay financially. I believe they get a decent subsidity from the Oregon lottery.

Track Collector speaks very highly of this meeting and I believe he makes an annual pilgrimage there. I have been to a couple of the Oregon fairs and generally, they're a lot of fun.

Last edited by Scanman; 07-12-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
elhelmete

Quote:
Elko is a blast, and actually a pretty fun town too. Lamoille Canyon is spectacular.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Went down to Crooked River for a night last year. Good time, nice folks. Made some beer money. Kinda hot. May go again Saturday night, but that would mean missing out on closing day at Sha Tin. Tough call.

The best meet in this neck of the woods is Tillamook coming up in a month. Nice cool breeze off the ocean, nice crowd, and the fair experience. Excellent motorcycling to and from the track through the coast range. Portland Meadows racing is okay and of higher quality than the fairs, but being during the rainy season, err, it kind of dampens the experience.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 09:03 AM   #7
AskinHaskin

A former Breeders' Cup starter raced at Crooked River last night and the result was about what you might expect. (Career earnings north of $620K)
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman View Post
Oddly enough, Crooked River (Prineville) is one of the 10 or so tracks in North America that I haven't been to. Hope to visit within the next couple of years. Thankfully, the fairs/bush tracks in Oregon are doing okay financially. I believe they get a decent subsidity from the Oregon lottery.

Track Collector speaks very highly of this meeting and I believe he makes an annual pilgrimage there. I have been to a couple of the Oregon fairs and generally, they're a lot of fun.
How's Ferndale? I guess it is a little bigger than those mentioned?

I would like to go to Elko or Tillamook one day.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:15 AM   #9
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
A former Breeders' Cup starter raced at Crooked River last night and the result was about what you might expect. (Career earnings north of $620K)
The horse broke down?
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Afleet

The crooked part gives me cause to pause
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #11
jballscalls

Quote:
The horse broke down?
no he won pretty easily.

Crooked River is a lot of fun. Great crowds and a night time atmosphere.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #12
Scanman

Quote:
How's Ferndale? I guess it is a little bigger than those mentioned?

I would like to go to Elko or Tillamook one day.
Ferndale was great. A little more known because of the CA Fair circuit and the quality of horse is a bit better. They invested in the surface over the last couple of years by banking the clubhouse turn more so that not as many horses "blow the turn". Will try to find my pics of Ferndale and post a few.

Elko is nice. They've been carding more quarter horse races the last couple of years. It has a decent infrastructure for a "bush" track. Of course, the most unique part of the track is the chute at the top of the stretch. It appears to have been cut out of the side of a hill.

Tillamook was a lot of fun. The track sits in an attractive area closer to the pacific ocean, with a few hills as a backdrop. Most interesting bit about Tillamook is that the paddock is right up against the outside rail of the track.

Burns (Harney County Fair) was probably my most enjoyable visit to the Oregon bush tracks. Nice open track with access to view racing from many different areas, if you were prone to move around a bit.

But I still have Crooked River and Eastern Oregon (Union) to visit, so I will be looking forward to that.

Happily, I was suprised to see that Crooked River has sent out their signal and because of this thread, I have watched/played the thoroughbred races via TwinSpires. I think that this is the first time I had seen an Oregon bush track sent out their signal. Don't believe the recent Grants Pass meet did and I'm pretty sure Eastern Oregon didn't. Will tune in tonight and hope that this trend will carryover to the other fair meets.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #13
RunForTheRoses

Very nice pics Scanman, especially Elko, the backdrop looks like stone or something.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:36 PM   #14
Scanman

Quote:
Very nice pics Scanman, especially Elko, the backdrop looks like stone or something.
It is. Looks like limestone or may granite, but is sits right at the base of I-80. Without a doubt, the most unique backdrop to a starting position of all the tracks I have visited.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
lamboguy

do they have a $2.20 or a $2.10 minimum payoff?
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: