Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #16
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's a very speed figure oriented answer.

There are a lot of people who love horse racing snd don't care about the accuracy of speed figures. 2:24 flat and 1:59 2/5 mean a lot to some of them.

This is like saying eliminate the bugle call because speed handicappers don't care about it.
Given tracks are being fiddled with so much with the surface I am not sure what a track record even matters anymore.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
That's a very speed figure oriented answer.

There are a lot of people who love horse racing snd don't care about the accuracy of speed figures. 2:24 flat and 1:59 2/5 mean a lot to some of them.

This is like saying eliminate the bugle call because speed handicappers don't care about it.
Who are these people? I've never come across any serious player that cares about raw times. Everyone knows they are more about the track than the horses. We only pretend they matter when a good horse breaks one. Nobody cares of a 10k claimer breaks a 6f track record, and claimer are all over most tracks list of record holders.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 02:00 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Given tracks are being fiddled with so much with the surface I am not sure what a track record even matters anymore.
Exactly. Nobody cares that Santa Anita was super slow this year, except a few people here who mistakingly thought that meant the SoCal 3yos would stink this year, LOL.

If tracks cared about records as being meaningful, they could certainly be sure some happened any time decent horses race if that is what they want to do.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Who are these people? I've never come across any serious player that cares about raw times. Everyone knows they are more about the track than the horses. We only pretend they matter when a good horse breaks one. Nobody cares of a 10k claimer breaks a 6f track record, and claimer are all over most tracks list of record holders.
This is like saying no baseball fan cares about 73 home runs because of steroids.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #20
GMB@BP

Quote:
This is like saying no baseball fan cares about 73 home runs because of steroids.
They dont, at least the ones I know.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #21
dilanesp

Quote:
They dont, at least the ones I know.
Really? If someone threatened to hit 74 it would sell a lot of tickets.

Records are important in sports. The speed figure guys arguments are "well they aren't important to ME". But lots of people are sports fans and don't care about ssbermetric statistics. So aports are under no obligation to reconfigure everything to please one segment of fans.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Records are important in sports. The speed figure guys arguments are "well they aren't important to ME". But lots of people are sports fans and don't care about ssbermetric statistics. So aports are under no obligation to reconfigure everything to please one segment of fans.
It has nothing to do with making speed figures. I can't think of anyone I know that cares about track records. Giving better, more accurate information should matter to tracks.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #23
davew

the Olympics should start timing with full speed starts -> more records

the 100 meters in under 9.0

back to horses, if a horse has a bad break and runs a 80 beyer, would that be similar to a good break and running a 85?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #24
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
the Olympics should start timing with full speed starts -> more records

the 100 meters in under 9.0

back to horses, if a horse has a bad break and runs a 80 beyer, would that be similar to a good break and running a 85?
answering that question goes along way to making money. Most people cant see past the figure regardless of extenuating circumstances.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:49 PM   #25
GMB@BP

Quote:

only cause Bonds is despised and people would want a more legitimate holder of that record, for whatever that means in todays day and age.

I dont think a lot of baseball people really recognize that record.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:24 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It has nothing to do with making speed figures. I can't think of anyone I know that cares about track records. Giving better, more accurate information should matter to tracks.
And I am all in favor of more information. You sbould know the runups and the full times.

But I am opposed to getting rid of run-ups, because records do matter to some horse racing fans.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #27
dilanesp

Quote:
only cause Bonds is despised and people would want a more legitimate holder of that record, for whatever that means in todays day and age.

I dont think a lot of baseball people really recognize that record.
Plenty of Giants fans recognize it.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #28
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
And I am all in favor of more information. You sbould know the runups and the full times.

But I am opposed to getting rid of run-ups, because records do matter to some horse racing fans.
I said in my first reply that would be fine.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: