Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #1
TheGarMan

Looks Like At Least 1 More Year At Pimlico...

Well , it looks like we get at least one more year at Pimlico. Stronach is in a tough spot here.

(Link to today's Baltimore Sun article below)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...510-story.html
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #2
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan View Post
Well , it looks like we get at least one more year at Pimlico. Stronach is in a tough spot here.

(Link to today's Baltimore Sun article below)

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/h...510-story.html
I love how the writer just completely buys into the government's false claim that the law can prevent Stronach from moving the race.

"The Preakness" is a trademark. It is registered under federal law and governed by the Lanham Act. Stronach has the exclusive right to use that mark anywhere in the US in connection with a horse race.

Any state law that purports to contradict that is facially invalid under the Supremacy Clause. And good luck to Maryland in getting a California, Texas, or Florida court to issue an injunction against Stronach running it at another track.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
wisconsin

Just can't see Laurel hosting that kind of attendance, since they made the apron smaller. The infield is a large valley. The area east of the plant is narrow and has a road running behind it. The only open land is around the clubhouse turn. Been there. No way it can handle anything north of 40k people efficiently.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #4
PowerUpPaynter

Move it to Monmouth! Preakness the horse was from NJ.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good news - Pimlico is my favorite track.
Wish it was running longer than it does now.

I can honestly say that watching from home, I have not seen any decline in the physical plant over the years!
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #6
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin View Post
Just can't see Laurel hosting that kind of attendance, since they made the apron smaller. The infield is a large valley. The area east of the plant is narrow and has a road running behind it. The only open land is around the clubhouse turn. Been there. No way it can handle anything north of 40k people efficiently.
Laurel would have to completely rebuild.

My guess is it stays at Pimlico and Stronach gets the state or city to put some money into renovations.

Second most probable is Santa Anita, followed by an unsuccessful lawsuit by Maryland and Baltimore.

Last edited by dilanesp; 05-11-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I can honestly say that watching from home, I have not seen any decline in the physical plant over the years!
Oh the stories..

A few years back our section had to go without bathrooms for the entire afternoon. And I have seen plenty of signs of a leaky roof over the years. And the upstairs air conditioning can be "hit or miss" depending on the outside temps.

But, on the whole, it's honestly not THAT BAD though...

Sure, it still feels like 1957 when you walk through the place, but I don't mind. (It's part of the charm)

I keep going back year after year.

To be honest, if one thing was going to keep me away, it isn't the sketchy neighborhood, or the aging venue.

It's the rising ticket cost.

We have a nice block of 8 or 9 seats. We are inside , near the finish line. Our seats were around $100, then $105, then $115, this year they are ONE THIRTY SEVEN per seat. Plus parking. So, yea, I don't mind the aging structure as much as I mind the costs that apparently come with a facility that is only in use 12 days a year.

The next few years could be interesting

Edit: Funny thought: When I leave my seat after the Preakness, there is a 90% chance another human does not sit in that seat for the entire next 364 days , until I come back.

Last edited by TheGarMan; 05-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Oh the stories..

A few years back our section had to go without bathrooms for the entire afternoon. And I have seen plenty of signs of a leaky roof over the years. And the upstairs air conditioning can be "hit or miss" depending on the outside temps.

Sure, it still feels like 1957 when you walk through the place, but I don't mind. (It's part of the charm)

To be honest, if one thing was going to keep me away, it isn't the sketchy neighborhood, or the aging venue.

We have a nice block of 8 or 9 seats. We are inside , near the finish line. Our seats were around $100, then $105, then $115, this year they are ONE THIRTY SEVEN per seat. Plus parking. So, yea, I don't mind the aging structure as much as I mind the costs.

That's actually less than I thought it would be for that seat (the equivalent seat for the Derby has got to be $1000 +, and the equivalent seat at the BC is $350).

That may militate slightly towards the theory that Stronach will move the Preakness. It may be he is leaving a lot of money on the table by holding it at Pimlico.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Edit: Funny thought: When I leave my seat after the Preakness, there is a 90% chance another human does not sit in that seat for the entire next 364 days , until I come back.
What are the odds quite a few people are SLEEPING in it (or worse!) 363 days?

Last time I was there, I was in the ground floor Men's room.
I was not terribly offended that there was urine on the floor, but I did object that there appeared to be a CURRENT in it!

But I love the place!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #10
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I was not terribly offended that there was urine on the floor, but I did object that there appeared to be a CURRENT in it!
Tom, that is the funniest thing I read all day..

Describes Pimlico perfectly!

It may be a hole in the wall, but its OUR hole in the wall!

Thanks for the laugh!
Old 05-12-2018, 08:52 PM   #11
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Oh the stories..

We have a nice block of 8 or 9 seats. We are inside , near the finish line. Our seats were around $100, then $105, then $115, this year they are ONE THIRTY SEVEN per seat. Plus parking. So, yea, I don't mind the aging structure as much as I mind the costs that apparently come with a facility that is only in use 12 days a year.

Take some duct tape and put under where the seat folds so if anybody folds it down it breaks, and see if it’s still intact next year
Old 05-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

About 8 years ago CJ’s Dad took me on a beautiful tour of the neighborhoods surrounding Pim on the Friday before the Preakness. 30 yrs before he had been a cab driver near there and just about everywhere else in Baltimore.

We spent two hours or more talking to people, cruising some really rough areas and buying bottled water from the curbside sellers. We got out of the car twice to talk to people he recognized. I went into it worried but it turned out to be a very good experience. I had the perfect tour guide. We hit the track just in time for the first race.

The one takeaway from that two hours is how pissed Dennis was about how badly the area had fallen apart. If they take the Preakness from that area, what takes its place?
Old 05-12-2018, 11:11 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I used to go to Baltimore frequently for work and had to go in some rough areas. This little convenient store I stopped at every trip had bullet holes in the doorway, but hey, they had the Racing Times inside! And Crab Chips!

One year at Toga, Denis brought me up a care package full of Crab Chips and Tasty Cakes, which I couldn't get around here back then. Nice thing to do for a guy he only met on the internet.
I was thinking of him today, playing Pimlico.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

He took me on a couple of those tours in different areas. Including another pim trip where one of his buddies was with us and it was about a week before the Preakness and there were city crews out painting everything that moved prior to the party. Dennis buddy was heckling them out the window. It was hysterical.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #15
Big Russ

I was there on Thursday and Friday. My first trip back in 7 years. On opening day, the 2nd floor of the grandstand was off limits unless you were attending the Sherwin Williams pro paint show. Escalator to top of grandstand was working so up I went. I was pretty much the only one there, except for a few stragglers sitting in the lower box seats having some lunch from the paint show. I wandered the plant for 2 days, getting some pictures. Stayed in Hunt Valley and decided to drive through the city on way to airport Sunday. Drove right down Monroe...sad looking as hell. Absolutely hopeless. Almost made the neighborhood around Pimlico look charming.
Big Russ is online now   Reply With Quote Reply