Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #1
LoneF
Veteran

Delta Downs “ Fog Race “ Jan 6 1990

I just read about this. Back in 1990 at Delta Downs it was so foggy one race day that Jockey Sylvester Carmouche never ran his horse Landing Officer after he broke from the gate and instead just sat and waited for all the other horses to run around the track and than we he heard them coming around the far turn he crossed the finish line for a 24 length secretariat like “victory”.

They actually didn’t catch on right away to what had happened and made the race official but apparently when the vet examined the horse a few minutes after the race he noticed the horse was not breathing hard at all and said that no way a horse could have just ran a mile and cooled down that quick and he also pointed out that the horses wraps were spotless. Than I guess they started putting two and two together about how could a 2500 claimer that was 23-1 in the race just almost equal the track record lol.

Jockey ended up getting suspended for 10 years.

That is the wildest thing I have ever heard. I was just wondering if anyone happened to bet on that race or even remembers it happening ...
LoneF is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I remember it, but didn't bet on it.
Gotta give the guy credit for originality!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM   #3
Elliott Sidewater

I remember it, and seem to recall that the other jockeys in the race were interviewed and none of them saw him or his horse during the running. He did come back and ride after the "10 year suspension" that lasted just 8 years, and during the last 5 years of his career he was a 4.4% rider from 2,323 mounts. His last career ride, fittingly, was at Delta Downs.

But what I've always wondered is whether this was all the jockey's idea or were the trainer and/or owner complicit harebrains?
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Grits

Quote:
"10 year suspension" that lasted just 8 years, and during the last 5 years of his career he was a 4.4% rider from 2,323 mounts.
Elliott, if he was anything he was persistent.

4.4%? He could have made more money walking hots.

Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 AM   #5
jay68802

If I remember right, he did a interview about this and stated that he did this on his own. That the idea hit him and he decided to try it. I do not think any one else was involved.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #6
Track Phantom

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1991/03...3206669013200/

'That would be the most elaborate scheme I've seen in 10 years to make $90,' said defense attorney Ken Schaffer. The $90 was the difference between the $140 Carmouche would have earned had his victory held up, and the $50 each jockey was paid for being in the race.

Can anyone with a straight face think this rider did this for $90 riding money? If he did, he should remain in jail permanently due to impersonating a human being.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
green80

When that fog rolls in on these winter nights, you can't see the track from the rail.
green80 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: