Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Shantel Lanerie

Beloved wife of jockey Corey Lanerie, passed away from cancer 😥
Very sad news. Corey is a fine rider and one of my favorites, esp since he's a cajun boy.
Prayers to him and all their loved ones.
🙏🙏🙏
Old 07-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Grits

Phantom, she was fighting stage 1 breast cancer, diagnosed in February. But it was sepsis that took her life and it did so inside of 24 hours. Heartbreaking!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #3
woodbinepmi

I have been a close friend to Corey and Shantel for the better part of 24 years now. He told me back in February that she had come down with it and all the prognosis were looking good. I didn't bring it up on the board because I believed it wasn't my place to do so. Thursday evening the 21st of June she started complaining of a lower back pain, after Corey pressing her to go to the hospital she finally agreed. The hospital ran some test and everything came back fine but they decided to keep her anyway.

In the morning she went into cardiac arrest and an emergency operation was performed but the doctors were unable to save her. We buried her last Friday in Carencro at the Melancon cemetery (site of the not gone Carencro racetrack) where she is surrounded by her Grandparents. Rick Mocklin gave the eulogy and Father Gary Schexnayder performed the service. The place was packed and there wasn't a dry eye in there.

The one thing I will say about Shanie is: she is what everybody hopes for in a mate. She was always in a good mood, always willing to do anything she could to help people out and the most doting mother you have ever seen and she was extremely easy on the eyes. Please keep in your prayers Corey and Britt, her parents Riley and Katie, her brother Rylan, and Corey's parents Debbie and Gerald. We have lost a good one in Shanie, it will take a while for us to get over this one.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:10 PM   #4
Grits

I'm so glad that you posted!!!!! It broke my heart that she was gone so quickly. She sounds, from what you and others, have written, to be such a loving, incredible soul.

God be with them. With Corey, with Britt, with all of their loved ones, their friends. And you, Woodbinepmi, I'm so sorry you've lost your friend.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
I have been a close friend to Corey and Shantel for the better part of 24 years now. He told me back in February that she had come down with it and all the prognosis were looking good. I didn't bring it up on the board because I believed it wasn't my place to do so. Thursday evening the 21st of June she started complaining of a lower back pain, after Corey pressing her to go to the hospital she finally agreed. The hospital ran some test and everything came back fine but they decided to keep her anyway.

In the morning she went into cardiac arrest and an emergency operation was performed but the doctors were unable to save her. We buried her last Friday in Carencro at the Melancon cemetery (site of the not gone Carencro racetrack) where she is surrounded by her Grandparents. Rick Mocklin gave the eulogy and Father Gary Schexnayder performed the service. The place was packed and there wasn't a dry eye in there.

The one thing I will say about Shanie is: she is what everybody hopes for in a mate. She was always in a good mood, always willing to do anything she could to help people out and the most doting mother you have ever seen and she was extremely easy on the eyes. Please keep in your prayers Corey and Britt, her parents Riley and Katie, her brother Rylan, and Corey's parents Debbie and Gerald. We have lost a good one in Shanie, it will take a while for us to get over this one.
Thank you for posting that. I'm sorry for your loss. What you wrote was a beautiful tribute.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yes, beautiful!
Prayers to their family.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
clicknow

Thank you for posting such a moving tribute about a lady who was truly a class act, by every account I've ever read or heard. It's a heartbreaking turn of events, my heart and prayers go out to Mr. Lanerie and friends and family. This isn't supposed to happen.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2018, 01:28 AM   #8
woodbinepmi

This is from Rick Mocklin's (Corey's former agent) twitter page:

I have so much I want to reflect on about Shantel Lanerie, but I need a day or two to let m...y mind slow down and try to get back to some kind of normalcy.
One thing I want to do today is reach out to any track management around the country that has a hand in their track's stakes program.
Ladies, gentlemen, I made a prediction in the eulogy I did yesterday about our sweet friend. I predicted that Shantel would be the first jockey's wife that would have a stakes race named in her honor.
I implore whoever can make this happen, to make it happen. One, two, three or ten race tracks - name the stake, the Shantel Lanerie Race For Life Stakes. Tie it in with a day of pink, pink and more pink for Breast Cancer Awareness. Raise money for Breast Cancer in Shantel's honor.
Better yet, let's start the Shantel Lanerie Breast Cancer Foundation and make her name synonymous with the Susan G. Kommen Foundation.
Shantel Lanerie's Kentucky Oaks Day breast Cancer Survivor Walkover at Churchill Downs will not have been in vain.
Let's see who's the first track to step up. I challenge the Fair Grounds, Evangeline Downs, Churchill Downs, Kentucky Downs and Ellis Park. Who's gonna be first to honor this great lady.
I'm like Radio Shack right now, you got questions, I've got answers.

Please help us get this done for Shanie!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: