Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #1
Grits

On keeping the Preakness at Pimlico

Today, Teresa Genaro writes.

http://www.theracingbiz.com/2015/05/...this-happened/

Quote:
"As much as bad things go on, good things are happening, too.” One of those good things, he said, is the Preakness.

“There’s a lot of excitement,” he said. “It’s great for the teenagers and the older kids. They can’t wait to get carts to help people carry their stuff to the track; they stock up on soda and water to sell.”

And as they do around Saratoga Race Course, local people advertise their yards for parking.

“It’s definitely a job opportunity,” said Pridgen.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #2
nads1420
Veteran

thats true i guess it does help the very local economy. i once paid someone 4 bucks to piss in their bathroom on that street you file out onto..... and bought a bag of crabs for 10 bucks
nads1420 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #3
gheuks

3-5 years from now, the Preakness will be held at Laurel, and Pimlico will be shuttered. The powers to be have made it clear that they want one facility for year round racing. I love Pimlico, but the situation in Baltimore the past few weeks was probably the final nail in the coffin for old hilltop. Laurel will host year round racing and possibly the Bowie training center getting a major rehab to house the overflow of horses. The Gulfstream/Palm Meadows model.
gheuks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #4
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Grits, at one time I was a Preakness attendee, but the last time that I visited Pimlico was in 1998 and all of the toilets had to be shutdown due to a rainstorm at that time; and I vowed never to return until they upgrade the facility and from what I hear that is yet to happen.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2015, 11:42 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

BEL had the same issue a few years ago. I believe it was Big Brown's BEL. I assume you haven't been to BEL since then either.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2015, 11:53 PM   #6
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
Grits, at one time I was a Preakness attendee, but the last time that I visited Pimlico was in 1998 and all of the toilets had to be shutdown due to a rainstorm at that time; and I vowed never to return until they upgrade the facility and from what I hear that is yet to happen.
This isn't an improvement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcyFSYhvV4

Last edited by bks; 05-07-2015 at 11:54 PM.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 12:27 AM   #7
clocker7
Veteran

LOL. Teresa should stick to something she knows, like horse racing.

Baltimore's murder rate in 2015 at this point is about 30% higher than last year's pathetic figure. It is a victim of one-party rule that has ruined its future.

If you don't live there, don't visit. If you live there, flee.
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 12:35 AM   #8
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuks
3-5 years from now, the Preakness will be held at Laurel, and Pimlico will be shuttered. The powers to be have made it clear that they want one facility for year round racing. I love Pimlico, but the situation in Baltimore the past few weeks was probably the final nail in the coffin for old hilltop. Laurel will host year round racing and possibly the Bowie training center getting a major rehab to house the overflow of horses. The Gulfstream/Palm Meadows model.
You wanna bet?
Talk of moving the Preakness has happened just about every year since I've been attending the race (since 1999), blah blah blah...IT AIN'T GOING ANYWHERE
Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 AM   #9
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Do you still bet the Preakness and/or the undercard & Black Eyed Susan day?
Old 05-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #10
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuks
We can bet whatever you want

Pimlico in the midst of upgrades and just put in a brand new turf course
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #11
nads1420
Veteran

what they need to do is keep Pimlico and bulldoze everything within a 3 mile radius around the track... its a bunch of bullshit that i gotta sit here like, man i hope i dont get shot next weekend, just to attend a horse race. those people are out of control, the police are in over their head, the mayor is a complete moron, and the entire town is naive if they dont think they are going to turn it up a notch when the Preakness comes to town... and turning it up a notch when there is shootings with in a few mile radius around the track every couple of hours is crazy to think...

Last edited by nads1420; 05-08-2015 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420
what they need to do is keep Pimlico and bulldoze everything within a 3 mile radius around the track... its a bunch of bullshit that i gotta sit here like, man i hope i dont get shot next weekend, just to attend a horse race. those people are out of control, the police are in over their head, the mayor is a complete moron, and the entire town is naive if they dont think they are going to turn it up a notch when the Preakness comes to town... and turning it up a notch when there is shootings with in a few mile radius around the track every couple of hours is crazy to think...
Your chances of being involved in a fatal car crash on I-95 and never making it to the Preakness are greater than your chances of getting murdered at the Preakness.

These things aren't limited to Baltimore.... Are you not aware of this incident after the Derby?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-3...entucky-derby/

You would do better to stay home if you're this paranoid before even walking out of the house.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #13
nads1420
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Your chances of being involved in a fatal car crash on I-95 and never making it to the Preakness are greater than your chances of getting murdered at the Preakness.

These things aren't limited to Baltimore.... Are you not aware of this incident after the Derby?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-3...entucky-derby/

You would do better to stay home if you're this paranoid before even walking out of the house.
i dont really think im gonna get shot... my point was is Baltimore is a fn dump

Last edited by nads1420; 05-08-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:26 AM   #14
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
There was no storm in 1998, I remember it well, I was there. There was a transformer that caught fire and caused a power outage, which led to many problems. It wasn't even a Pimlico issue, it was a BG&E problem. It was very hot, and it was dark, but there wasn't one iota of rain for the Preakness or the few days before it either.

Come to think of it, 1998 is the only year I attended all three Triple Crown races.

Last edited by cj; 05-08-2015 at 10:39 AM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by nads1420
i dont really think im gonna get shot... my point was is Baltimore is a fn dump
Stay classy
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply