Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-21-2016, 01:00 AM   #16
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Chapa might disagree.

You never cease to SHOCK me with your humor JHS!!!
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 12:08 PM   #17
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
These kind of rides are what lead people to think exchange wagering is asking for trouble. .
LOL. What can a jock not have a bad ride without thinking he's throwing the race for the layers. You know he's a terrible rider, right. I was on the exchange for that race and saw nothing out of the ordinary regarding this horse.

Just a bad ride by a bad jock.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 12:10 PM   #18
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
LOL. What can a jock not have a bad ride without thinking he's throwing the race for the layers. You know he's a terrible rider, right. I was on the exchange for that race and saw nothing out of the ordinary regarding this horse.

Allan
I didn't say he was throwing the race. But perception is everything. If these things go on and we never hear a peep from the stewards it is going to be trouble. Why not just stiff a horse and say it was a bad ride if nothing is ever addressed?

And really, my post was short. Why cherry pick what you quoted?

Last edited by cj; 06-21-2016 at 12:13 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #19
parlay

Quote:

Allan
This guy was MONEY a few years ago at GP when he was riding for the right trainer. He may not be great, but he ain't that bad.
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 12:31 PM   #20
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I didn't say he was throwing the race. But perception is everything. If these things go on and we never hear a peep from the stewards it is going to be trouble. Why not just stiff a horse and say it was a bad ride if nothing is ever addressed?

And really, my post was short. Why cherry pick what you quoted?
Perception? My perception was a bad ride and nothing more. He's sitting at 12% at the current meet. what do the stewards do to US jocks nowadays for a bad ride. Zero. do you really expect that to change?

If a bad rider like OB causes the perception of chicanery on the exchange.

Jock/Trainer combo was sitting a nice 4% with 1 win from 23 starts (now 24).

and he only issue that I wanted to bring up was the exchange part.

why include everything you wrote when the only thing I wanted to address was the exchange part. I didn't change the context by editing out the stuff I wasn't interested in.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Perception? My perception was a bad ride and nothing more. He's sitting at 12% at the current meet. what do the stewards do to US jocks nowadays for a bad ride. Zero. do you really expect that to change?

If a bad rider like OB causes the perception of chicanery on the exchange.

Jock/Trainer combo was sitting a nice 4% with 1 win from 23 starts (now 24).

and he only issue that I wanted to bring up was the exchange part.

why include everything you wrote when the only thing I wanted to address was the exchange part. I didn't change the context by editing out the stuff I wasn't interested in.

Allan
I specifically said maybe it was just a bad ride. You deleted that.

I absolutely think that guy should be called on the carpet because it looks like more than a bad ride. At the very least he would think before being stupid like that again. When it is on the 6 to 5 favorite it looks even worse.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #22
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

I personally, am sick and tired of people saying that a very questionable (in terms of character) ride was simply a bad ride.

How about this for a solution, if you give any horse a piss poor ride (longshot or fav or anywhere in the middle), you get a 30 day ban?

You think rides would improve instantly? I do.....
Old 06-21-2016, 03:32 PM   #23
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

Depends on how bad the 1,000 new riders are that they'd have to bring in per week to fill the card.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 03:33 PM   #24
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Depends on how bad the 1,000 new riders are that they'd have to bring in per week to fill the card.
You keep me laughing JHS (with you not at you!).

Keep replacing them, they are a penny a dozen.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #25
paddy79

Quote:
I personally, am sick and tired of people saying that a very questionable (in terms of character) ride was simply a bad ride.

How about this for a solution, if you give any horse a piss poor ride (longshot or fav or anywhere in the middle), you get a 30 day ban?

It was much more than a poor ride clearly. He was actively pulling the horse several times in the race and then not even riding out in the straight. Amazingly, the horse might still have won the race if he'd ridden it properly on the straight. I think he was riding to trainer instructions there.
paddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 06:34 PM   #26
SuperPickle

Quote:
You guys think he was stupid?

Just watch saturday's last race at Belmont for THE definition of STUPID.

Since I was 5 or 6 years old, I would say "LEFT HAND WHIP" as my horse was coming down the lane. For many reasons.

Well, super mental midget Luis Saez attempted to commit suicide in the last race. His horse was up 3-5 lengths in deep stretch of a race. His horse suddenly went to the wrong lead inside the 1/16 AAAAANNNNDDDD started to lug in on that incorrect lead....

Genius Saez, decided to whip hard right handed. Horse crashes into the rail and breaks the rail a few yards from the wire.

There is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason for ANY JOCKEY, from Utah to PLUTO, to EVER whip a horse right handed WHEN THEY ARE ON THE LEAD in the stretch (Unless the horse has some crazy quirk and bolts when whipped left handed). Plus when you whip left handed, you can herd out any oncoming foes who are rallying to the outside.

On a different level, if you whip a horse (right handed) who goes back to the wrong lead you are asking for your horse to lug in bad. Not a smart move when you are already close to the rail.

The correct thing to do is to give a circular motion with your hands in an attempt to recorrect the horse OR to whip left handed to avoid lugging in bad.

There were a handful of people on track that let this mental midget have it as he crashed his horse to the rail and to the ground.

And people get mad at me on here when I compain about jockeys?

That ride is absolute proof of how utterly stupid some of these guys are.

If you are in the one or two path you probably should not go right handed. Over years I've seen probably 20 horses in the 1 or 2 path get hit right handed and decided it means they're supposed to try and jump the rail.

However the other side of the coin is 80-90% of horses drift out in the stretch. Essentially if a tired horse is on his right lead he's suppose to drift out. So the reason guys are typically going right handed is the horse is drifting right. The idea isn't so much to to encourage them to run its to keep them from drifting.

When you watch the pan camera shot the horses that look straight actually generally are still drifting 3-4 feet. The pan under sells everything. If a horse looks like he's getting out a little on the pan he's really getting out a lot. And if a horse drifts out a lot on the pain it's going to look like 30 feet on the head on.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #27
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

The whole problem with this game is the only people that know how to ride all weigh at least 180 pounds.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 07:51 PM   #28
parlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
The whole problem with this game is the only people that know how to ride all weigh at least 180 pounds.
so true. me included
parlay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #29
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
And some are at least 200
Old 06-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
AlBundy33

Quote:
And some are at least 200
And some would break the poor horse's back, myself included.