Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Grits

Don't run 'em like they did in the old days

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse...in-spring.aspx

There's a lot of counting of starts in reading past winners of the Triple Crown. Durable horses back then is an understatement.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
setup
Veteran

Fortunately, they still bet 'em.
setup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Seabiscuits PP's are online somewhere. Check those out..........amazing compared to today.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #4
BlueShoe

In the old classic days it was commonplace for a colt to contest the Derby Trial on Tuesday and then come back in the Derby 4 days later, which would be unheard of today. Even with the Trial moved back to the Saturday before, today the Trial is viewed either as a prep for the Preakness, Peter Pan, other lessor stakes, or just as a race unto its own.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
nearco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
In the old classic days it was commonplace for a colt to contest the Derby Trial on Tuesday and then come back in the Derby 4 days later, which would be unheard of today. Even with the Trial moved back to the Saturday before, today the Trial is viewed either as a prep for the Preakness, Peter Pan, other lessor stakes, or just as a race unto its own.
Still happens today, just not in America.
Aussies do it all the time. Several of the last few Melbourne Cup winners have run in a G1 race 4 days before they won the big Cup.
nearco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #6
Edward DeVere

American horses didn't used to lose thirty frickin' pounds every single race due to Salix.

American horses didn't used to be by Bleeder, out of Bleeder.
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I heard there is a new dietary supplement that is showing promise in making horses healthy and able to compete. It's called hay.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #8
forced89

It is not just that the top flight horses are running less. Back in the 60s it was not unusual to see the same group of low level claimers knocking heads every week to ten days.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2012, 12:10 PM   #9
Scrambler

Great Post, As An Owner/Trainer Of My Own Stock, Spending My Own Money, I Believe far To Many Horses are Pushed Far To Fast Far To Early, Now Days Right From Babies, There Rushed way to Fast, Prepping Them for Yrlg Sales. The Fastest works always brings the most $$$. Sad But That is what it all comes down to.
Horses are a lot Like People, some just Mature Faster then others. (Some never do)....
When i Buy or Claim a horse its never one that was over raced as a 2yr old. I Need some thing to LAST me A Few Years.
....(Don't Get Me Started On The Chemicals)...
As for running them often back in the ole days,Transportation was always a factor, & race meets were few & far between. When a trainer got to where there were races ,He entered his stock in very avaible race that was written. Because it might the only race meet he can get to until next season.
Months of training and Prep work was done on the farms.

This is such a Great site, Love Reading all the posts, and Learning more and more every day, This is a Game i Have been in all my Life & I Learn some thing new every day.. Thanks again .....

I Work With Horses With People Problems.....
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
tzipi

Well on this date in 1919, Sir Barton won the Prekaness. Four days earlier, he won the Derby.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #11
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzipi
Well on this date in 1919, Sir Barton won the Prekaness. Four days earlier, he won the Derby.
is he the one that beat older before he did that? there was one of those horses that beat older horses, won the trial and then the triple crown...in todays standards this would be abusive. i realize that we live in easier times but with horses something does not equal out. 20 races is a long career now. had to look this up. sir barton won the withers after the preakness then he won the belmont. it was citation that won against older....won the derby trial and then the derby 4 days later in his 7th start of the year...amazing when we hear the word "bounce" and all the garbage.

Last edited by burnsy; 05-14-2012 at 06:12 PM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
CincyHorseplayer

Watching a documentary about Citation he ran in the Derby Trial,Kentucky Derby,Preakness,Jersery Stakes,and Belmont.I don't know what the start and end dates were back then but it's at most 5 weeks and 4 days for 5 races.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearco
Still happens today, just not in America.
Aussies do it all the time. Several of the last few Melbourne Cup winners have run in a G1 race 4 days before they won the big Cup.
Did Dunaden run in the Mackinnon or Lexus?

Americain (2010) won the Geelong Cup; Efficient (2007) ran in the Cox Plate; and Delta Blues (2006) made a late run to finish 3rd in the Caulfield Cup in their last races before the big race.

Shocking (2009) and Viewed (2008) ran on the Saturday before the Melbourne Cup.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
tzipi

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
is he the one that beat older before he did that? there was one of those horses that beat older horses, won the trial and then the triple crown...in todays standards this would be abusive. i realize that we live in easier times but with horses something does not equal out. 20 races is a long career now. had to look this up. sir barton won the withers after the preakness then he won the belmont. it was citation that won against older....won the derby trial and then the derby 4 days later in his 7th start of the year...amazing when we hear the word "bounce" and all the garbage.

Yeah, surely a different game today. I will say that bad breeding has affected the sport also. I think it was easier to run in those races back then because look at how many horses were running in the country in 1919 and how much competition there was and then look at how many horses and competition there are today. If you had a very good horse back then there was not much competition and easier to win races.
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer
Watching a documentary about Citation he ran in the Derby Trial,Kentucky Derby,Preakness,Jersery Stakes,and Belmont.I don't know what the start and end dates were back then but it's at most 5 weeks and 4 days for 5 races.
39 days it was from the Derby Trial to the Belmont. The Jersey Derby, once an important race, was run Memorial Day weekend. Another race that a good 3yr old might contest was the Metropolitan Mile at Belmont against older, and then come back in the Belmont two weeks later. Several 3yr olds have won the Met Mile during it's history.
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply