Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-26-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
dilanesp

best ride you ever saw in a big race

Let's do one more of them. Best ride I ever saw in a big race was Shoemaker in the 1978 JCGC. He took Exceller far, far, far back, farther back than usual, because he figured out how fast they were going up front. Then, he timed his move perfectly and snuck up the rail. Finally, he got just enough out of Exceller to nose out Seattle Slew in a tremendous stretch drive.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 05:57 PM   #2
AMPHAR

Calvin Borel’s two derby wins were Michael Jordan game 7 type rides, IMO.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Let's do one more of them. Best ride I ever saw in a big race was Shoemaker in the 1978 JCGC. He took Exceller far, far, far back, farther back than usual, because he figured out how fast they were going up front. Then, he timed his move perfectly and snuck up the rail. Finally, he got just enough out of Exceller to nose out Seattle Slew in a tremendous stretch drive.
Willie Shoemaker-Ferdinands Kentucky Derby
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 08:55 PM   #4
v j stauffer

Go Go on Blame to beat Zenyatta in the BC Classic at CD.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Go Go on Blame to beat Zenyatta in the BC Classic at CD.
Sweet. Had not bet a race in months-was too busy. Bet 300 on Blame. Z had never beaten a horse like him, and Blame LOVED the venue.

Hope all is well. Stay safe.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 09:21 PM   #6
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Sweet. Had not bet a race in months-was too busy. Bet 300 on Blame. Z had never beaten a horse like him, and Blame LOVED the venue.

Hope all is well. Stay safe.
You too my friend. All the best.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
mountainman

Not a big race, but still worth recounting. The great Dave Gall back in the 80s on a Dale Baird speedball named Seven Seas. Gall rode here during some harsh winters that saw extreme track-maintenance measures create wild and colorful biases.

Consequently, the man made a practice of walking the surface before the races, gauging the cushion in various spots with his boots. Gall, evidently, had complete faith in whatever his tootsies told him, as he would often apply unorthodox rides, even in the opener.

Seven Seas, went to the lead, as was his custom, in that day's first race, but saw the ENTIRE FIELD pass him when Gall steered to, literally, the outside rail for home. Please trust me that the horse had never passed anybody in his veteran career. Until that day, when Seven Seas, angled dangerously close to the apron fence to secure rock-hard footing, came again like Silky Sullivan to win going away.

It was THE most bodacious and self-confident ride I will ever witness. Gall was a wonder. An absolute freaking wonder.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-26-2020 at 09:40 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #8
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahura2 View Post
Willie Shoemaker-Ferdinands Kentucky Derby
That makes two of us.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 AM   #9
lamboguy

the best ride i have ever seen i can't remember the jocks name but it was recent. i think it was Vaz. he guided his horse between the starting gate and the outer rail and didn't collide with anything.

i think that everyone will agree that is the very best ride they have ever seen. it was truly unbelievable.

i think the ride took place in Maryland
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #10
rispa

For me, it was Cordero's ride in the 1976 Belmont Stakes aboard Bold Forbes. A masterful ride in my opinion for trainer Laz Barrera, who deserves mention as well.
rispa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #11
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Dave Gall should be in the Hall of Fame. His lack of Triple Crown and Breeders Cup mounts shouldn't be held against him.

Or maybe there should be a wing dedicated, like baseball's Old Timers or "Veterans" or whatever they call it, to riders and trainers that plied their trade with distinction at venues outside the high-profile ones. That would include Dale Baird, too.

And Perry Ouzts, too.
<--

Back to the topic at hand, Borel's Derbies also get an upvote from me. Shoe on Ferdinand was superior, too, but he had so many it would be hard to chose one.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #12
NY BRED
GARY

Thumbs up BLAME

Vic;

i have always agreed ,that was an incredible and emotional win and,in turn,
loss for the Moss family.

That said, the a dead heat, at least for me, was the American Pharaoh win
in the Belmont, breaking the long drought for a Triple Crown winner.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 AM   #13
The_Turf_Monster

Velazquez on Sunday Silence at Pimlico. Pat Day should have been DQ'd a half dozen times in that race but Velazquez and Sunday Silence got focused and overcame it
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #14
pandy

Shoemaker's Derby win with Ferdinand was dramatic. He had been in a slump after a rough injury and some people where saying that he lost his nerve to race inside. The Bald Eagle had confidence in Shoe, and he came through with a masterful ride from off the pace.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #15
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
Velazquez on Sunday Silence at Pimlico. Pat Day should have been DQ'd a half dozen times in that race but Velazquez and Sunday Silence got focused and overcame it
Valenzuela you mean
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: