Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 01:18 AM   #76
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
So Firenze Fire is now our fastest 3yo??

or was that just a 1-turn thing?

or was that just a 1-wagering-coup thing?

Justify ran an amazing Kentucky Derby when pace is factored in. He wasn't 100% at the finish either, but I have no idea if that hampered him at all, or if adrenaline and momentum carried home his true peak performance that day. He did hold the margin over a tiring Good Magic.
He was close to scratching from the Preakness, and being pointed to the Classic, following the Derby. Fortunate to have a skillful hoof repair. Have no idea what if any pain-treatments, tranquilizers, etc... that he underwent. He won the Preakness with a sound hoof, but at about 80% condition to my eye. His amazing rebound in health and vitality between the Preakness and the Belmont on a hoof-repair that held well, suggested that a comeback for a prep and the Breeders Cup Classic would have likely been within his scope. His repair may or may not have been a long-term solution, but it could have probably been maintained or re-done if necessary.

Financial interests made the plan a no-brainer.

Was he an all-time great? I have no idea. Great athlete, brought up under the most favorable conditions to develop his talent, injuries prevented him from racing at 2, and threatened his Triple Crown run, and he got the job done.

He is what he is.
Close to scratching? From his scratches?

Not 100% at the finish of the derby?

"Amazing rebound in health and vitality" That is the most astute observation about the horse in this thread.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 01:24 AM   #77
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
His derby, with the pace factored in, was pretty damn special. I believe it was the fastest half mile run by a winner of the race.
But what time was it really?

Can't go by what the clock said.

Promises Fullfilled set it...maybe we can factor that into the variant.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 01:27 AM   #78
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
But what time was it really?

Can't go by what the clock said.

Promises Fullfilled set it...maybe we can factor that into the variant.
I have no clue what you are saying, do you handicap races or just read pedigree pages?

Was the clock broke?

Promises Fulfilled is pretty slow early, I am sure it wasnt much pace
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #79
burnsy
self medicated

So that's the end game? A 6 race career including a Triple Crown. Then to be able to say. "He ran the fastest half mile and held on in the Derby." Wow, I'll hang my hat on that for years. It sure beats seeing the horse race at different tracks.....

Gee, what a career. Racing will garner tons of traction off of careers like this. Unfortunately, its just happening more and more. The rest of the horses that ran in the Derby? You cant find half of them with a satellite radar either. This game is going great. Five and 6 horse fields are the norm...…….the excitement is unbearable.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 08:29 AM   #80
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY BRED View Post
I apologize for the error in the total wins for Justify, six straight is the actual count.

I still maintain this Justify's incredible career will be an extremely tough act to duplicate .

PEACE
An "extremely tough act to duplicate" yet just three years ago AP completed the same "act" and then won the Classic on top of it. So Justify's unprecedented accomplishments were surpassed just in the past few years.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 08:38 AM   #81
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

If Firenze Fire is any barometer, the Classic this year will be filled with the
fastest horses ever assembled. I expect a Beyer of at least 145!

Justify would be buried by the late developing GREAT horses of this year's outstanding crop.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #82
burnsy
self medicated

Hofburg is going to run a 146 in the Curlin and then Good Magic is going to run a 147....wait and see. These horses are blazing.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #83
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
So that's the end game? A 6 race career including a Triple Crown. Then to be able to say. "He ran the fastest half mile and held on in the Derby." Wow, I'll hang my hat on that for years. It sure beats seeing the horse race at different tracks.....

Gee, what a career. Racing will garner tons of traction off of careers like this. Unfortunately, its just happening more and more. The rest of the horses that ran in the Derby? You cant find half of them with a satellite radar either. This game is going great. Five and 6 horse fields are the norm...…….the excitement is unbearable.
its tough to be a horse racing fan in 2018, it sucks in way too many ways.

I get it that its irritating...futbol is getting very popular, maybe less irritating?
Old 07-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #84
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
McKinzie hasn't worked for over 100 days. Baffert reported he was back tack walking (i.e., not going to the track) back in May. When asked for an update a month later in June, Baffert reported that the horse had just started back...tack walking.

Even if he breezed this weekend, he would have at most 4 works for the Allen Jerkens.

If he's in one piece and the connections were ambitious, they might try and mimic Secret Circle's comeback, where he took a money allowance after a lengthy vacation then wheeled back in 3 weeks and won the BC Sprint (or Dirt Mile).

Any word on West Coast? Last I saw (a month ago) he was being put back into serious training on July 1st but I don't see any published workouts yet.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 06:29 PM   #85
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Any word on West Coast? Last I saw (a month ago) he was being put back into serious training on July 1st but I don't see any published workouts yet.
I do not know where he was physically when he was in "light" training but typically he would not have breezed quite yet. If he was galloping lightly and jogging a bit in between gallops he would need about 30 days of solid gallops before you saw a 1/2 mile or less work . Just an educated guess.( A trainer can go 15's early which clockers refuse to publish and finish up nicely so it can and is impossible to rely solely on final posted times as you know but maybe others do not).
Maybe he breezes in a week or so if the reports are correct. Might be a Saturday thing so he walks on Sunday when grooms might be having a day off and others covering for them. Maybe that is Mondays these days IDK. Don't know Baffert's Schedule. Check tomorrow's ledger. Probably be a once a week thing early on.
Hope that helps.
Ruffian1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 06:33 PM   #86
GMB@BP

Quote:
Baffert said he looks awesome but no idea where he is at, needs to get going if he is going to run this year.

I still cant believe Castallano gave Thunder Snow the rail in the DWC.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:32 PM   #87
Spalding No!

Quote:
Per the DRF, both West Coast and Collected returned to the Baffert barn only recently. The key difference is that Collected went to Del Mar while West Coast went to Los Alamitos, so Collected is much more likely to breeze sometime soon (he was at a training center apparently).

At any rate, both are targeting fall campaigns, which basically means the Goodwood and the BC Classic...or maybe a minor prep and the Clark if there are any hiccups for either horse along the way.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #88
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
Hofburg is going to run a 146 in the Curlin and then Good Magic is going to run a 147....wait and see. These horses are blazing.

Hofburg 100.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:42 PM   #89
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Hofburg 100.
Weren't they handing those out at the gate yesterday?
Old 07-28-2018, 03:30 PM   #90
Andy Asaro

Question of the day.

How many Halters will Justify have for Auction during his lifetime?

I think they walk by and touch him with a halter and then toss it in big box and ship them all over the place.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 07-28-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply