Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-29-2016, 09:33 PM   #1
charm city whizz

Lets talk ACTION!!!!!!!

some pretty good athletes on this forum just wondering if anybody has any good stories from gambling on themselves or seeing some good action matches....on any sport or skill event

on a Friday night at freehold one night betting simulcast around 2002 im up like 600 betting horses, make a long story short the tables had glass tops on them so I heard back in day people used to slide a quarter to hang over the edge of table with 3 shots this was easy I'll do it for 20 a pop......long story short blow the voucher that had about 800 on it plus I owed guy 200😂😂😂😂😂😂😭😭

Kept leaving this scummy quarter short or just banged it off table👎👎👎👎👎

would love to hear some stories on what people gambled on in skill sets, free throws stickball bowling anything could be a funny thread
charm city whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 02:35 AM   #2
thaskalos

Two amusing stories...

It's the early 90s...and I am in a pool hall located on the north side of Chicago (I'd give the name of the place...but it's still doing a thriving business to this day). I was always a good pool player, but never good enough to bet serious money on myself against tough competition...and this was the place where the best "money" players of the area hung out. At about 11 at night...a friend of mine, who dealt drugs for a living, walks into the place...accompanied by the goofiest-looking guy that I've ever met in my entire life. The guy was a Homer Simpson look-alike, dressed in the gaudiest, most colorful outfit I've ever seen, complete with those shoes that the genies wear when they come out of the bottles...the shoes that curl up in the front. My friend introduced this guy to me as his "business associate"...and we proceeded to play a couple of games of 8-ball. Neither my friend nor his "associate" could play pool past the level of a rank beginner.

After we played a couple of games...my friend asked me if there was gambling going on in this place. I told him that the place was crawling with pool hustlers...and that big money was changing hands there all night. To my shock...he responds by telling me that he'd like to stake his "associate" in a game against the best guy in the place...for all the money that the guy would like to play for. The stunned look on my face told him that I didn't believe him...so, he calmly asked me if I knew who the best pool player in the place was. I looked around the room...and pointed to a tall bearded guy whom I had seen play in the biggest games there night after night.

My dope-dealing friend and his associate walked over to the table where the pool hustler practiced...and I followed them. When the hustler looked up from the table as he noticed us...my friend calmly asked him if he was as good as people there said he was. "I don't know what you mean"...the hustler replied...while giving us all a curious look.

My friend pulls a $10,000 bundle from his coat pocket and throws it on the table. "My friend here wants to play you a game of 9-ball for $10,000", he told him...while pointing at Homer Simpson with the curled-up genie shoes. The hustler looked at the $10,000...and then glanced at the cartoonish character standing in front of him. After thinking for a couple of minutes, the hustler replies..."You got me all wrong, bud...I don't shoot pool for money. I just come here to kill some time". And without saying another word...he returns to practicing pool by himself.

The three of us walked away...and my drug dealer friend turned and said to me..."He knows what's good for him."

The second story is about me on the bowling lanes. If there is one thing that I honestly feel that I was born to do...it's to bowl. From the time I picked up a bowling ball at the age of 15, I knew that I would become very good at this game...and I played it with single-minded dedication. I carried a 200 average at the age of 18...and in my 20s, I never ran into a bowler whom I felt I couldn't beat in a series. Honest!

Anyway...my 17 year-old son asked me if we could go bowling a few months ago...and we went. Although I hadn't bowled in over 3 years...I bowled a 224 game the first time there. In my next game, I bowled a 217. And that's when I noticed that there was an old guy sitting at a table behind us...looking at us with a smile on his face. When the old man saw that I had noticed him...he stood up and walked over to me. That's when I noticed that he walked with a slight limp. "My name is Bob...how do you do?", he asked me very politely. We got briefly acquainted...and he asked me how long I had been bowling. I told him, and he said to me: "You are real good. Almost as good as me".

When he saw me smile, he pulled out his bowling bag from a locker...and asked if I'd like to bowl against him for a game. I readily obliged...and proceeded to bowl a sparkling 229. But he rolled 8 strikes in a row...and beat me by about 40 pins.

"I was a pro when you were in diapers"...he told me with a wink, as he limped back to his locker.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-30-2016 at 02:40 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #3
Jess Hawsen Arown

The Duck

Many moons ago there was a guy who loved buying speed crazy horses to race the YR/RR circuit. He was known familiarly as The Duck. One day The Duck gets into it with another horsemen (don't remember his name) about their individual abilities in foot races. The dispute became quite heated and eventually challenges were exchanged and bets were flying fast and furious by the combatants and interested bystanders.

The race was set for an afternoon race around the Roosevelt Raceway training track. One mile -- twice around. The race starts and The Duck goes flying out an opens up a big lead. He retains the big lead as they finish the first circuit. He is still leading after the three quarters but the lead is shrinking. They hit the stretch and The Duck is in trouble. As the outcome becomes inevitable for the tiring Duck in the middle of the stretch, a voice of some unfortunate who bet on The Duck is heard. "He runs just like his horses."
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 12:38 PM   #4
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It's the early 90s...and I am in a pool hall located on the north side of Chicago (I'd give the name of the place...but it's still doing a thriving business to this day). I was always a good pool player, but never good enough to bet serious money on myself against tough competition...and this was the place where the best "money" players of the area hung out. At about 11 at night...a friend of mine, who dealt drugs for a living, walks into the place...accompanied by the goofiest-looking guy that I've ever met in my entire life. The guy was a Homer Simpson look-alike, dressed in the gaudiest, most colorful outfit I've ever seen, complete with those shoes that the genies wear when they come out of the bottles...the shoes that curl up in the front. .
The curled up genie shoes were the dead giveaway he was a hustler.

Last edited by barahona44; 07-30-2016 at 12:40 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Back in college, and still to this day I guess, I would play anyone in a game of Super Tecmo Bowl for $100. Just gimme the Chiefs and I'll kick your ass !

I am 3-3 on that wager, including a game about 10yrs ago when i lived in New Orleans...that was my last hurrah though...too old for that shit.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
It's the early 90s...and I am in a pool hall located on the north side of Chicago (I'd give the name of the place...but it's still doing a thriving business to this day). I was always a good pool player, but never good enough to bet serious money on myself against tough competition...and this was the place where the best "money" players of the area hung out. At about 11 at night...a friend of mine, who dealt drugs for a living, walks into the place...accompanied by the goofiest-looking guy that I've ever met in my entire life. The guy was a Homer Simpson look-alike, dressed in the gaudiest, most colorful outfit I've ever seen, complete with those shoes that the genies wear when they come out of the bottles...the shoes that curl up in the front. My friend introduced this guy to me as his "business associate"...and we proceeded to play a couple of games of 8-ball. Neither my friend nor his "associate" could play pool past the level of a rank beginner.

After we played a couple of games...my friend asked me if there was gambling going on in this place. I told him that the place was crawling with pool hustlers...and that big money was changing hands there all night. To my shock...he responds by telling me that he'd like to stake his "associate" in a game against the best guy in the place...for all the money that the guy would like to play for. The stunned look on my face told him that I didn't believe him...so, he calmly asked me if I knew who the best pool player in the place was. I looked around the room...and pointed to a tall bearded guy whom I had seen play in the biggest games there night after night.

My dope-dealing friend and his associate walked over to the table where the pool hustler practiced...and I followed them. When the hustler looked up from the table as he noticed us...my friend calmly asked him if he was as good as people there said he was. "I don't know what you mean"...the hustler replied...while giving us all a curious look.

My friend pulls a $10,000 bundle from his coat pocket and throws it on the table. "My friend here wants to play you a game of 9-ball for $10,000", he told him...while pointing at Homer Simpson with the curled-up genie shoes. The hustler looked at the $10,000...and then glanced at the cartoonish character standing in front of him. After thinking for a couple of minutes, the hustler replies..."You got me all wrong, bud...I don't shoot pool for money. I just come here to kill some time". And without saying another word...he returns to practicing pool by himself.

The three of us walked away...and my drug dealer friend turned and said to me..."He knows what's good for him."

The second story is about me on the bowling lanes. If there is one thing that I honestly feel that I was born to do...it's to bowl. From the time I picked up a bowling ball at the age of 15, I knew that I would become very good at this game...and I played it with single-minded dedication. I carried a 200 average at the age of 18...and in my 20s, I never ran into a bowler whom I felt I couldn't beat in a series. Honest!

Anyway...my 17 year-old son asked me if we could go bowling a few months ago...and we went. Although I hadn't bowled in over 3 years...I bowled a 224 game the first time there. In my next game, I bowled a 217. And that's when I noticed that there was an old guy sitting at a table behind us...looking at us with a smile on his face. When the old man saw that I had noticed him...he stood up and walked over to me. That's when I noticed that he walked with a slight limp. "My name is Bob...how do you do?", he asked me very politely. We got briefly acquainted...and he asked me how long I had been bowling. I told him, and he said to me: "You are real good. Almost as good as me".

When he saw me smile, he pulled out his bowling bag from a locker...and asked if I'd like to bowl against him for a game. I readily obliged...and proceeded to bowl a sparkling 229. But he rolled 8 strikes in a row...and beat me by about 40 pins.

"I was a pro when you were in diapers"...he told me with a wink, as he limped back to his locker.

Great stories thask......been through my share of battles on the lanes too, the amount of time I spent around a pool hall I should be ashamed of myself how I really never picked up the game

Would give anything to be around 30 years ago when bowling was hard and action was all over the place, actionbowlers.com has some great stories

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #7
charm city whizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Back in college, and still to this day I guess, I would play anyone in a game of Super Tecmo Bowl for $100. Just gimme the Chiefs and I'll kick your ass !

I am 3-3 on that wager, including a game about 10yrs ago when i lived in New Orleans...that was my last hurrah though...too old for that shit.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 rbi baseball in Nintendo great action game too...
Old 07-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Tor Ekman

2-man Stickball (the strike zone box against the school wall variety). Me and my buddy would play anybody, anywhere, at their schoolyard or ours, for any stakes. We rarely lost, and when we did we generally evened the score in the re-match.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 12:08 PM   #9
1st time lasix

Nothing better than a member guest golf Calcutta at a fancy wealthy club when they have an open bar. (particularly when you have a solid partner and you are playing well.)
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

In the 70s, you couldn't touch be in miniature golf.
We hade three course in town and everyone was a bank.
You would be surprised how many people would hang out there waiting some action.

Par 3 is where they got it all back.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #11
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
In the 70s, you couldn't touch be in miniature golf.
We hade three course in town and everyone was a bank.
You would be surprised how many people would hang out there waiting some action.

Par 3 is where they got it all back.
Oh, man does that bring back memories. Back in the day me and the guys I grew up with would play miniature golf for money at Nunley's in Baldwin, L.I. We also used to gamble on who would pull the brass ring while riding the horses on the the classic Merry-Go-Round that they had. Good times.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
charm city whizz

remember about 10 years ago there was a ton of money won and lost in shooting hoops in the pool, and I can tell you I wasn't in the winning column

2 man team $200 a team wiffle ball match with automatics and a chair as a strike zone, ground ball past pitcher was a single was a out if u stopped it before curb, I remember my friend just diving with no regard and cutting himself on street trying to stop a ball from getting over curb I was dying Hahahshshsh

So much action I miss it all and those days will never happen again
Old 08-01-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
Tor Ekman

This thread has inspired me to round up the old crew for an old-timer's $$$ mini-golf tournament this weekend. Gonna be a blast.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: