Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #61
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
I saw the entries last Weds and when I saw POE was in the Manhattan, I looked over the rest of the field and decided right there I would single him in a pick 3 or two. It was like a 4X4 daily double after that.
POE in that field was just one of those that jumped off the page. I thought unless he gets hit by a bus or breaks sideways or dumps the jock, he's not losing.
Or breaks a leg.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #62
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Over 12 at wrigley always a solid play.....it would be 1-0 through 3 then all the sudden it would turn into a 8-6 game....does the wind make that much of a difference there?
You should see Wrigley tonight. Park is totally enveloped in fog; reminds me of the Fog Bowl playoff game between the Bears and Eagles back in 1988. I don't know how the outfielders can see the flight of the ball.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 AM   #63
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
You should see Wrigley tonight. Park is totally enveloped in fog; reminds me of the Fog Bowl playoff game between the Bears and Eagles back in 1988. I don't know how the outfielders can see the flight of the ball.
Yeah I saw highlights how did they play in that?
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #64
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

I can't cry about bad beats in football I won games out of a science fiction novel...bookie ticket went 8-8 when I was 16 when testervede turned around fired ball through uprights for a safety....giving 13.5 in NCAA football game goes to overtime I get the miracle td then 2pt conversion then pick 6 and guy runs it in....etc etc etc but this one bothered me

2003 dating this girl i met at bowling alley she hated me gambling but I treated her like gold do she dealt with it were eating dinner on a sat night I got a fictitious 400 bet on Kentucky in football getting 7.5......to be honest I don't remember how the scoring went in regulation but it was a fg that sent it into ot...by the time this game got to 3rd q we went back to my house hung out for a hour or 2 she falls asleep and she had to be home by 1am meanwhile I'm in a fight for my life with this game.....

Everything goes wrong for this game to go to overtime but it does....I'm liking where I'm at getting 7.5 but not thrilled with the ot happening....bad enough I was to worried about this game to have sexy time with gf....technically I prob could have knowing I was getting 7 and a hook but I'd rather sweat the game....

It's 12:15 or so she gotta get home they flip the coin I say please let me win this toss.....I do but game is tied after 3 overtimes.....in the 4th ot Arkansas gets the ball first with mandatory 2pt try.....I'm not worried nobody can get a stop here....they score a td miss the 2 so I figure I'm good at worst for another 2 ot...only if ark has ball first I can lose....

Going to 6th ot I gotta take her home now im worried I just have a bad feeling...I drop her off I call 1-800-555-TELL for the score update(if anybody knows this number it's a decent free score line....this was pretty much before all the smart phone apps give it a try one day say sports then a team name it gives up to second scores.....

Here's what I hear...."earlier today Arkansas defeated Kentucky 71 to 63 in overtime..." I took my phone and fired it off the rt 1 bridge I was steaming....told myself I'm not betting no nfl the next day....

Long story short I was at the Verizon store at 10am and betting games by 11.....

Usually as a rule I don't bet horses sept-jan with football on....I get a bigger sweat outta football then horses at times

I know some of you guys took some nasty sports beats....worst part is seeing reruns over and over again....

Speaking of bad beats I consider having Tampa bay a nasty beat against Boston tonight
Old 06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #65
Valuist

Quote:

Long story short I was at the Verizon store at 10am and betting games by 11.....

Usually as a rule I don't bet horses sept-jan with football on....I get a bigger sweat outta football then horses at times

I know some of you guys took some nasty sports beats....worst part is seeing reruns over and over again....

Speaking of bad beats I consider having Tampa bay a nasty beat against Boston tonight
I can relate to Sundays between Sept-Jan. My racing wagering gets scaled down on Sundays then. But Saturdays are too good at the track. Also, I'm better at NFL betting than college so I don't even bother with the college games.

I didn't bet anything yesterday but you are correct, anyone on Tampa last night had a real tough beat. Down 6-0 before they even got to the plate, they clawed their way back to tie the game at 8. They had the bases loaded with nobody out and Longoria at bat and he grounded into a double play.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #66
Phantombridgejumpe

2 quickies

A used to throw a few bucks on football. Had a 4.5 point underdog losing by 3 with 5 seconds left. Too far for a FG, so a Hail Mary - intercepted - and for NO REASON at all returned 99 yards for a TD. I think the losing team may have been the St. Louis Cardinals.

In racing, at what is now Parx I was down a couple hundred and down to about $40. A race from the Meadows is going off. 3 and 4 are co favorites, I run up to the teller. Meadows, race 9 $10 exacta 3 with the 6, 7 and 8.

Right at the start the 4 breaks. 3 is jogging up front, opens up daylight turning for home. Cluster of horses hit the wire for the place. Goes up 3-8-1. Exacta $45 and I got it 5 times. Go to cash, same teller says, 'not a winner'.

He gave me $10 exacta 3 with 6, 7 and 7. A bet that doesn't even make much sense. Of course I should have checked the ticket, but bad beat.
Phantombridgejumpe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #67
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantombridgejumpe
A used to throw a few bucks on football. Had a 4.5 point underdog losing by 3 with 5 seconds left. Too far for a FG, so a Hail Mary - intercepted - and for NO REASON at all returned 99 yards for a TD. I think the losing team may have been the St. Louis Cardinals.

In racing, at what is now Parx I was down a couple hundred and down to about $40. A race from the Meadows is going off. 3 and 4 are co favorites, I run up to the teller. Meadows, race 9 $10 exacta 3 with the 6, 7 and 8.

Right at the start the 4 breaks. 3 is jogging up front, opens up daylight turning for home. Cluster of horses hit the wire for the place. Goes up 3-8-1. Exacta $45 and I got it 5 times. Go to cash, same teller says, 'not a winner'.

He gave me $10 exacta 3 with 6, 7 and 7. A bet that doesn't even make much sense. Of course I should have checked the ticket, but bad beat.
I would have gone to the manager of the clerks and lodged a formal complaint.
That is not an error. It's incompetence. Suppose it were a bank teller?
Are we just supposed to say "oops" and let it go?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #68
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
I can relate to Sundays between Sept-Jan. My racing wagering gets scaled down on Sundays then. But Saturdays are too good at the track. Also, I'm better at NFL betting than college so I don't even bother with the college games.

I didn't bet anything yesterday but you are correct, anyone on Tampa last night had a real tough beat. Down 6-0 before they even got to the plate, they clawed their way back to tie the game at 8. They had the bases loaded with nobody out and Longoria at bat and he grounded into a double play.
I bet totals on NCAA Football because of OT rules. The scoring can be outrageous.
There can be a game that has a total of say, 60. The score might be oh 20-20 at the end of 4 qtrs....The teams hit OT and the sky can be the limit.
Never bet under on NCAA Football. NEVER.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
Valuist

Quote:
I bet totals on NCAA Football because of OT rules. The scoring can be outrageous.
There can be a game that has a total of say, 60. The score might be oh 20-20 at the end of 4 qtrs....The teams hit OT and the sky can be the limit.
Probably a good thing I don't bet NCAA football totals because I love to bet unders. The public loves to play overs, because they want to root for scoring. Also there's a big difference in thinking between NCAA coaches and NFL coaches. In the NFL, there is a point in many games in which burning clock becomes more important than scoring more points. In college, most teams have only a few defenders with speed so most defenses are susceptible to getting burned so they know they have to keep scoring. In the NFL, other than the nose tackles, virtually all the defenders are fast.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #70
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Don't let the NCAA ot rules scare u off unders.....maybe 3 out of 50 games go ot on a Saturday....

When I doubt if it's a tv game take the under.....always a value play like valueist says....line reflects all the square money that comes in on games....

When u see a total between 77-84 and yes there was a 84 out there 2 years ago it was the same week before the penn st scandel broke I think it was ok st and k st game went over with 3 seconds left....never take an under in that spot...

The thing I don't like about NCAA unders is the clock always stopping...

Watch bowl games.....always unders lots of time to prepare...

Again don't be afraid to bet unders!!! But it is fun betting an over 77 and seeing them go up and down the field!!
Old 06-11-2013, 02:02 PM   #71
thespaah

Quote:
Don't let the NCAA ot rules scare u off unders.....maybe 3 out of 50 games go ot on a Saturday....

When I doubt if it's a tv game take the under.....always a value play like valueist says....line reflects all the square money that comes in on games....

When u see a total between 77-84 and yes there was a 84 out there 2 years ago it was the same week before the penn st scandel broke I think it was ok st and k st game went over with 3 seconds left....never take an under in that spot...

Again don't be afraid to bet unders!!! But it is fun betting an over 77 and seeing them go up and down the field!!
The factors which you mentioned. Clock stopping to move chains on first downs for example. are other reasons to stay clear of under bets on NCAA football.
If the total is more than with which I feel comfortable, I just stay away from the game.
I don't play many games on a given day. I cull out the games in which I have no idea which way it will go.
I bet games involving teams in conferences which I know the most about.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #72
Valuist

Quote:

You cite one of the reasons I don't bet (and rarely watch) college football: lack of clock stoppages. My attention span maxes out at about 3 hours to 3 hours 10 min (length of time for an NFL game). You get some of these college games with teams like Texas Tech, or Purdue with Joe Tiller, they always go over 4 hours.

Also agree on your TV game angle. The squares will always be on the over. Pro or college.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #73
Phantombridgejumpe

Error - Clerks

Yeah, looking back I should have done more.

I complained to the teller, and someone from the back came out, but to no avail.

I think it was late on a Sunday, and I was on 'tilt' already - I didn't want to get into a fight or never be allowed back in (not my style).

Plus, I had two things against me:

1) I bet when they were almost to the start, not even sure they could have cancelled - felt lucky to get it in.

2) I know better, you must check your ticket and I've known that since I was about 6 years old.

All these factors make it a bad beat - but the stupid ticket I ended up with did make me mad. Somehow 3 with 5/6/7 would have been wrong but logical.
Phantombridgejumpe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #74
Stillriledup
Veteran

What an amazing game, i specifically bet against Barbie Wire in the 8th at Belmont because i know she's going to break slow...so, what happens, She walks out of the gate, the pace is pedestrian, the Pletcher 'class' horse gets a perfect trip and is no match for....you guessed it, the horse who broke slow.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM   #75
Stillriledup
Veteran

Adding:

Needed Holiday's Jewel to be to be 3rd in the 5th on June 22 at Belmont for a nice Tri score, i didnt realize this Maragh guy morphed into Bobby Ussery!

Geez, just a little more 'left' and i win. For fun. Tough one, didnt realize how wide he was on the backside till i watched the replay.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: