Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 10-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #31
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
When it comes to playing HK I do believe that the reason the 3-entry Win Dutch works so well is because of the larger fields.

well, I do have to say that I'm quite surprised although shocked might be a better word

I looked at the results from 8 races at Happy Valley on 7/10/20 - (linked) - that date just happened to come up first in my google search - and:

all 8 races were won by the top 3 in the odds and dutching all 3 would have produced more than a 50% profit

although race 4 had 2 horses listed at 5.3/1 and one won it - I counted it but it's not a sure thing - a minor detail

I'm not a naive person so I'm well aware that this is way too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions from

still, again, it was very, very surprising

a possible explanation: Asian punters are longshot lovers causing the top 3 to go off at higher odds than what would be typical in the U.S.?

https://racing.hkjc.com/racing/infor...se=HV&RaceNo=4

Last edited by Half Smoke; 10-09-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #32
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Because the bettor is not emphasizing his stronger opinions over his other opinions. Do the horses in the bettor's quinella have an equal chance of finishing first? Then it may be no different than an exacta.
Totally agree. Clearly if your strong opinion is the higher odds horse a quinella would not be best option.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
well, I do have to say that I'm quite surprised although shocked might be a better word

I looked at the results from 8 races at Happy Valley on 7/10/20 - (linked) - that date just happened to come up first in my google search - and:

all 8 races were won by the top 3 in the odds and dutching all 3 would have produced more than a 50% profit

although race 4 had 2 horses listed at 5.3/1 and one won it - I counted it but it's not a sure thing - a minor detail

I'm not a naive person so I'm well aware that this is way too small of a sample size to draw any conclusions from

still, again, it was very, very surprising

a possible explanation: Asian punters are longshot lovers causing the top 3 to go off at higher odds than what would be typical in the U.S.?

What percent of the races are won by one of the top 3 favorites? I would have to believe that the HK percentage is substantially lower than the US percentage.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #34
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
What percent of the races are won by one of the top 3 favorites? I would have to believe that the HK percentage is substantially lower than the US percentage.

well, of course - what is the average field size of U.S. races - I don't think it could possibly be more than 8 - so many races with just 5 or 6

the HK average field size I would guess is at least 12

so, the odds on the top 3 are much higher and will produce much more profit

I was speculating - the only way it could be a winning system is if the top 3 as a whole was an overlay

and I think the only way that that is possible is if Asian punters are longshot lovers and therefore the odds are higher on the low price horses

Old 10-09-2020, 04:53 PM   #35
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post
well, of course - what is the average field size of U.S. races - I don't think it could possibly be more than 8 - so many races with just 5 or 6

the HK average field size I would guess is at least 12

so, the odds on the top 3 are much higher and will produce much more profit

I was speculating - the only way it could be a winning system is if the top 3 as a whole was an overlay

and I think the only way that that is possible is if Asian punters are longshot lovers and therefore the odds are higher on the low price horses

Well then of course when analyzing the bet you would have to consider losses. If your average win profit was 50% but the win percentage was only 45% then it would be a losing proposition.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #36
BarchCapper

Field Size and Favorites in Hong Kong

Per the DRF's Guide to betting Hong Kong - free at:

https://www.drf.com/news/drf-s-guide...ng-kong-racing

For the 2019-20 Season

Overall:
Avg Field Size = 12.35
Winning Favorites = 29.71%

Sha Tin:
All Weather Avg Field Size = 12.40
All Weather Winning Favorites = 27.66%
Turf Avg Field Size = 12.82
Turf Winning Favorites = 32.06%

Happy Valley (only runs turf):
Avg Field Size = 11.69 (track is narrower)
Winning Favorites = 24.37%

Last edited by BarchCapper; 10-09-2020 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Corrected symbol
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2020, 03:42 AM   #37
Half Smoke

BarchCapper:

off the subject but anyway, I like your signature -

"”You know what they say: Nothing ventured, nothing ...ventured” - Vicki in Let It Ride"

I had forgotten about that very funny movie
one reviewer at IMDB said it didn't do well at the box office because:

"horseplayers don't go to the movies"..............(-:\

in searching for it I found this other movie about racing that I didn't know about and looks pretty funny - "The Longshot" - it's free on YT

quote from this movie:

"the horse will run like the breaking wind"..........(-:\

also, thanks for the facts about HK racing - very interesting

Last edited by Half Smoke; 10-10-2020 at 03:52 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: