Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 08-25-2020, 02:32 PM   #16
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by usfgeology View Post
King Guillermo worked 5f MT ft in :58.20 B (1/40) at CD, 08/22/20.
Read a workout report on this work. Said it was one of the worst works he had ever seen. Watched it myself, and really had no opinion.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2020, 10:21 PM   #17
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Read a workout report on this work. Said it was one of the worst works he had ever seen. Watched it myself, and really had no opinion.
It's a good work.......real good.
I never care about times,just how they do it{and KG did it nicely}........so the 58 and change had no bearing on how I rated it.
FWIW:
I can't play this horse because the connections seem to be afraid to race him.
Here's the work:

taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 05:51 AM   #18
clicknow

I've watched his last 2 works at CDX. There's another one on the 29th, besides the one above.

Horse is a big-body-benz, with a gorgeous wingspan, but seems like he needs to grow into his body......which is "all over the place".

He starts out rank, every time, fighting the rider. I'm sure once he gets going he can relax, but I fear this would require about 1-1/2 miles at least. For now the horse just is not tractable.

Let him grow into his lanky body (like Zenyatta did) and get a little less spastic....and maybe a good chiropractor, too.

I wuld not be at all suprised if you are right that his connections are "afraid of him"......big horse, not well behaved, .he acts like the lab next door to me that the owners never trained, and dog is now 80 pounds and jumps on people, bolts, etc.

Last edited by clicknow; 08-31-2020 at 05:55 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 02:13 PM   #19
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I've watched his last 2 works at CDX. There's another one on the 29th, besides the one above.

Horse is a big-body-benz, with a gorgeous wingspan, but seems like he needs to grow into his body......which is "all over the place".

He starts out rank, every time, fighting the rider. I'm sure once he gets going he can relax, but I fear this would require about 1-1/2 miles at least. For now the horse just is not tractable.

Let him grow into his lanky body (like Zenyatta did) and get a little less spastic....and maybe a good chiropractor, too.

I wuld not be at all suprised if you are right that his connections are "afraid of him"......big horse, not well behaved, .he acts like the lab next door to me that the owners never trained, and dog is now 80 pounds and jumps on people, bolts, etc.
Good post.
I think the dots can be connected a bit with this guy.
Start with why he's lightly raced:
Judging by the way he looked after his hard work(kind of had the ache to him),it could be suggested that serious race horse activity dings him up just a bit.....hence,he needs recovery time soon after.
That's probably why the connections are very careful with him.
The chiropractor thought is probably spot on......he's a big good looking dude who will add on(body wise)with time,but for now works and racing takes its toll on him.......the old saying "time heals all wounds" hits KG right between the eyes.
In terms of the King being rank at the start of his work,that doesn't bother me.
It's probably a sign that KG was itching to do some running,a lot of good horses get full of themselves before working......One example would be California Chrome,he used to rip the exercise riders arms off at the start of his works.
Betting wise,I can't make him my choice because of his layoff lines....... but I'll carry him in the P-3/4/5's & Ex/Tri's just in case they have him pitched just right.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2020, 06:45 PM   #20
luisbe

Avila's tactics by himself.
https://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-de...king-guillermo
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 09:31 AM   #21
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Doesn't sound good this morning. This is what usually happens when healthy horses don't race "training up to" spots. Run horses when they are ready to run.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #22
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Doesn't sound good this morning. This is what usually happens when healthy horses don't race "training up to" spots. Run horses when they are ready to run.
Rumored he has a temperature this morning, and they are making a decision this evening as to his status for the race.
Old 09-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #23
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
Rumored he has a temperature this morning, and they are making a decision this evening as to his status for the race.
Not good either way. His defection would result in the chalk being the primary speed and perhaps a 2015 style merry go round.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 01:11 PM   #24
boys at tosconova

the connections of this horse are idiots. whatever decision they make will likely be the wrong one

wtg, martinez..u saved your horse for the derby and now he sick and might miss the derby...you also missed all of the lucrative purses with limited fields the past 4 months.

and it's not like you can even celebrate winning the derby with a packed crowd to begin with, which was obv part of the reason for not running in any races leading up to in the first place.

well done,....bravo!!!

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 09-03-2020 at 01:16 PM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #25
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
the connections of this horse are idiots. whatever decision they make will likely be the wrong one

wtg, martinez..u saved your horse for the derby and now he sick and might miss the derby...you also missed all of the lucrative purses with limited fields the past 4 months.

and it's not like you can even celebrate winning the derby with a packed crowd to begin with, which was obv part of the reason for not running in any races leading up to in the first place.

well done,....bravo!!!
I'm not a fan of the "don't do any racing once you've qualified for the Derby" method, either. I like the connections and the horse, but definitely didn't want KG to be some kind of potential "trend-setter"

It has seemed like Martinez was laser-eyed Derby focused from before he even got King Guillermo. I heard one interview with him earlier this year where he talked about when he was getting ready to make a bigger splash in the Thoroughbreds. He asked a couple of teammates who expressed some interest in possibly partnering with him what they would do if they were offered an exorbitant sum of money to part with a Derby contender they owned prior to the Derby. They all said they would do the smart thing and sell. He said "This is why I can't have you as partners with me" - because he was only interested in winning the Derby. (Let's not quibble with the idea that there are generally more than enough opportunities in these situations to sell a piece of the horse, rather than all of it.)
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #26
SharpCat

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...y-due-to-fever
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #27
boys at tosconova

thanks for the mammaries.

i'm sure you'll be fit and ready for all those early 4yr old and older G3 stakes come january
Old 09-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #28
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
thanks for the mammaries.

i'm sure you'll be fit and ready for all those early 4yr old and older G3 stakes come january
Sounds like they are shooting for the Preakness now. :/
Old 09-05-2020, 04:47 AM   #29
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotic Parakeet View Post
Sounds like they are shooting for the Preakness now. :/
he would have been fit for that race and a contender after racing in the derby and fading after showing brief early foot.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #30
Sysonby

I read he was being retired with suspensory issues, is that confirmed?
Sysonby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply