Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-28-2017, 09:34 AM   #16
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
http://thisishorseracing.com/news/in...=75&Itemid=312

As fugazi favorite Always Dreaming looks like donkey dump. Irish War Cry remains cool calm and collected.
I wouldn't just look at workouts, look at the races, it counts for way more. Irish War Cry "bailed" out of Fla. after he got pissed on. Always Dreaming waltzed on basically the same field that Irish War Cry couldn't even keep up with.

He might of wanted more out of the work they tried to give him. He looked like he wanted to go and after they went around once he levels off jogging out. You can't tell me that Always Dreaming can't rate, the Florida Derby was a walk over once that horse got going and he probably beat better horses than were in NY. He can cruise at a high rate of speed, saw it with my own eyes. Plus, the way money was being bet, someone knew this horse improved immensely turning 3. The horse looks like a gorilla now.

The way they train these horses its nothing to go from winning one or two and going to a grade 1, we saw this last year, the best horse had the fewest races (Arrogate). I would worry about the surface change more than anything else because that's the thing that could slow him down. But I don't know how you just dismiss Always Dreaming as a "fraud" after seeing these prep races and comparing the fields. He got good, in a hurry and at this age that equals dynamite. I saw the April 26 work, he wanted to run a little more and he was goofing off but he looks pretty f'ing built to be fast. Watch the Fla. Derby replay, you won't see many of these rate like that on the flank. He's gotta repeat but showed what he has, leaving him all the way out may be a big mistake IMO.

Last edited by burnsy; 04-28-2017 at 09:41 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-28-2017, 09:57 AM   #17
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I wouldn't just look at workouts, look at the races, it counts for way more. Irish War Cry "bailed" out of Fla. after he got pissed on. Always Dreaming waltzed on basically the same field that Irish War Cry couldn't even keep up with.

He might of wanted more out of the work they tried to give him. He looked like he wanted to go and after they went around once he levels off jogging out. You can't tell me that Always Dreaming can't rate, the Florida Derby was a walk over once that horse got going and he probably beat better horses than were in NY. He can cruise at a high rate of speed, saw it with my own eyes. Plus, the way money was being bet, someone knew this horse improved immensely turning 3. The horse looks like a gorilla now.

The way they train these horses its nothing to go from winning one or two and going to a grade 1, we saw this last year, the best horse had the fewest races (Arrogate). I would worry about the surface change more than anything else because that's the thing that could slow him down. But I don't know how you just dismiss Always Dreaming as a "fraud" after seeing these prep races and comparing the fields. He got good, in a hurry and at this age that equals dynamite. I saw the April 26 work, he wanted to run a little more and he was goofing off but he looks pretty f'ing built to be fast. Watch the Fla. Derby replay, you won't see many of these rate like that on the flank. He's gotta repeat but showed what he has, leaving him all the way out may be a big mistake IMO.
I just wanna toss him from the win spot. I heard the work was outstanding today. I could still reconsider but i really dont want to. Id hate to reconsider because a strong work and then my thoughts about him come true. But im humble enough to know if EVERYONE seems to love him maybe I should be using him at least in an insurance type ticket.

I will say if he does win the derby he is the type of horse that should have zero issues with the Preakness and id probably do a 180 on him and love him for that race at least. But there would be, like many Preakness', no way to make money on him.

Last edited by PowerUpPaynter; 04-28-2017 at 09:59 AM.
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #18
The Biscuit

Irish War Cry – Irish War Cry will try and become just the third New Jersey-bred to win the Derby. It has been 83 years since Cavalcade won in 1934 and 102 years since the filly Regret took home the Roses in 1915. Dance Floor was the most recent runner from the Garden State and he ran third in 1992 behind Lil E. Tee.
The Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Liked Irish War Cry from day 1 in the release of the first Derby pool. Just wish I would have put together an Ex ticket with IWC and Gunnevera and had that done and out of my head.

Now? I liked his Holy Bull, but he was truly gifted a perfect trip, but in the end he was good enough to keep 'em all at bay without any real challenges. His FOY was a complete bomb, they then shipped to NY, and he beat who knows what?

He checks a lot of boxes including massive pedigree angles. I just have a real hard time seeing him getting 10 panels Saturday with a field that has 9 horses with E6 to E/P 6 or greater ratings that will go to the gate. I don't see anybody getting a loose lead, much less do I see dawdling fractions. It may not be a wicked hot pace, but it will be contended.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 06:50 PM   #20
PowerUpPaynter

very possible he flipped his pallet in FOY, which would be a more than acceptable excuse
Old 05-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #21
PowerUpPaynter

Old 05-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #22
1st time lasix

Toss. Slow prep. 20 horses. No chance to win imo
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #23
Mc990

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
Toss. Slow prep. 20 horses. No chance to win imo
Interesting. Either a slow prep or the fastest. One or the other.
Mc990 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #24
magwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
very possible he flipped his pallet in FOY, which would be a more than acceptable excuse
Dont know if he did, but I'm tossing that race, he's in the game for now......
Old 05-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #25
letswastemoney

No front runner did anything late in the Fountain of Youth because of the pace. The pace was so fast, even Takaful couldn't make the lead.

But the pace in the Kentucky Derby will be moderate to fast (I think) too, so we'll see...
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney View Post
No front runner did anything late in the Fountain of Youth because of the pace. The pace was so fast, even Takaful couldn't make the lead.
Practical Joke was all out to secure the runner-up spot from pacesetter Three Rules.

Irish War Cry and Always Dreaming will be in uncharted territory if there is a multi-horse scramble for the lead. Neither has shown the ability to come "off the bridle" in the early stages of a race.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #27
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc990 View Post
Interesting. Either a slow prep or the fastest. One or the other.
The raw time was slow. The final 3/8th was pedestrian. It's not often a horse coming home as slow as IWC did in the Wood wins the roses. If not for RAN sire line and a dash of Buckpasser I'd already toss this one from the trifecta. The remainder of his breeding doesn't inspire me. I can grab State of Honor with almost the same Timeform figure for a hell of a bigger bang for the buck on the bottom of a tri. IWC is Junior Frosted. I can get one of those at Wendy's.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 PM   #28
boys at tosconova

boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 10:25 PM   #29
f2tornado

Quote:
Originally Posted by boys at tosconova View Post
His 3rd in the Wood about 5 lengths back was still faster than IWC in spite of a mouth abscess. The final 3/8th in the 1973 Wood was run in 37 3/5 versus 39 for IWC. Aqueduct must have been running real slow to justify IWC's slow raw figures. How'd that work for Materiality a couple years back?
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-02-2017, 10:56 PM   #30
boys at tosconova

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
His 3rd in the Wood about 5 lengths back was still faster than IWC in spite of a mouth abscess. The final 3/8th in the 1973 Wood was run in 37 3/5 versus 39 for IWC. Aqueduct must have been running real slow to justify IWC's slow raw figures. How'd that work for Materiality a couple years back?
war cry is one of the fastest horses in the race. i don't care what he came home in the wood. means nothing in the scope of the race or this horse's ability.

what you should be looking at was his widening lead and raja's over the shoulder look back.

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 05-02-2017 at 10:58 PM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply