Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #16
jahura2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
A pioneer in the sport. His words, agree or disagree with him, will be missed.

I hope he has a long and healthy retirement and enjoys himself.

I also hope, , that his retirement from writing does not improve the Beyer figures. I love their rare but important mistakes!

People still follow the beyer, not as often as before but enough to create value!
Just a note of thanks to Andy Beyer. His figures I first encountered in the Racing Times dragged me out of the stone ages where I was completely clueless, to a point now where I am slightly less clueless. Have a great retirement Andrew!
jahura2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
thaskalos

One of a kind!!!

He single-handedly rescued the game from the system-selling shysters whose treachery defamed it almost beyond repair...and he presented the game as the serious intellectual pursuit that it became for a lot of us. And his honesty and integrity lent the horseplayer a "legitimacy" which was unknown to him until Beyer burst onto the scene. While other handicapping authors regaled us with stories of their betting triumphs, designed to show how "brilliant" they were, Beyer wrote with equal aplomb about his LOSSES...and was the only one who gave a realistic look of what the serious horseplayer's life was like. "My Saratoga betting results that year were so horrific, that I fled from my beloved track under the dark cover of night...without even saying goodbye to my friends", he once wrote...and every serious player who read it nodded his head in total understanding.

"I never wanted to become 'respectable', choosing instead to live the life of a renegade gambler...who earned his living by his wits"...he declared early on. And now...the "renegade gambler", who had no need for the "respectable life", hangs up his typewriter and exits the stage...as the most well-known and respected horseplayer/writer in the game...and the game's greatest ambassador. And the game is greatly diminished by his departure.

With Beyer's retirement, horseracing "journalism" officially comes to an end...and that's a shame.
Old 11-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #18
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
He single-handedly rescued the game from the system-selling shysters whose treachery defamed it almost beyond repair...and he presented the game as the serious intellectual pursuit that it became for a lot of us. And his honesty and integrity lent the horseplayer a "legitimacy" which was unknown to him until Beyer burst onto the scene. While other handicapping authors regaled us with stories of their betting triumphs, designed to show how "brilliant" they were, Beyer wrote with equal aplomb about his LOSSES...and was the only one who gave a realistic look of what the serious horseplayer's life was like. "My Saratoga betting results that year were so horrific, that I fled from my beloved track under the dark cover of night...without even saying goodbye to my friends", he once wrote...and every serious player who read it nodded his head in total understanding.

"I never wanted to become 'respectable', choosing instead to live the life of a renegade gambler...who earned his living by his wits"...he declared early on. And now...the "renegade gambler", who had no need for the "respectable life", hangs up his typewriter and exits the stage...as the most well-known and respected horseplayer/writer in the game...and the game's greatest ambassador. And the game is greatly diminished by his departure.

With Beyer's retirement, horseracing "journalism" officially comes to an end...and that's a shame.
That Sir, was Andy Beyeresque! Well said
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 01:19 PM   #19
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:

Very well written blog, Gus....There is a lot of that "renegade" in me as well...

With Andy's retirement, I wonder which horseplayer/writer is the next best thing to him now...Which lights are still glowing, however dimly, in the dusk of our journalistic demise...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
1st time lasix

I met him on three separate occasions years apart. In all three instances he was engaging, gracious.... and friendly. Just another one of "guys" trying to put together a winning ticket. All horseplayers are not degenerates...some are bright, witty, and fun to be around. He could join my little simulcast group gathered around our corner watching the races anytime. What a rich life!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 01:44 PM   #21
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
I met him on three separate occasions years apart. In all three instances he was engaging, gracious.... and friendly. Just another one of "guys" trying to put together a winning ticket. All horseplayers are not degenerates...some are bright, witty, and fun to be around. He could join my little simulcast group gathered around our corner watching the races anytime. What a rich life!
I think skipping his final at Harvard to go place a bet at the track might place him in the degenerate Hall of Fame.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 01:46 PM   #22
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
It would be interesting to hear from Andy and read a "reflections story" that told his take on his life in racing from a neutral point of view...you know, the good and the bad, highs and lows, the realities....would he do it all again, what he would do different, etc....
Old 11-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
mikekk

I "met" him once, back in the mid-80's

Summer Saturdays. Hastings Park (Exhibition Park back then) would host a special guest in the paddock area, before the races began. The special guest would give a speech/seminar on the topic they were promoting; then go thru the card and let those listening in on how they were going to bet. They always, ALWAYS picked the morning line favorite in the feature as their Bet-of-the-Day.

The horse I'd come for was in the 5th, an 8.5f MCL...the horse I like was 0-4 lifetime, all in sprints, cheap failed speed, routing for the first time. I figured if he made the lead (and he should) he was gone. Morning line was 8-1 if I remember correctly.

Beyer went thru his spiel (he was very entertaining!) and when he got to his Best Bet he picked...MY HORSE. I remember him starting off with "This is the kind of horse I'm prepared to bet with both hands!", and then giving the same reasons I had for loving the horse.

After he finished, I went up to him and said "You bastard! You just killed the odds on the horse I'm here for!"

He grinned and shook my hand, said "Sorry".

Yeah. He killed my odds. The horse went off at 12-1, and won for fun.

I'll miss the guy. Before the Racing Form made them so popular, his figures were both pretty accurate and produced some juicy overlays.

Have a great retirement, Andy!
mikekk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #24
Elliott Sidewater

Quote:

Racing journalism over? Over? it's not over until we say it's over, and it's up to you to publish that book so there will be something of worth for us to read and enjoy. Andy Beyer didn't pass the torch, so to speak, to anyone in particular. The door is wide open... your move, friend.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #25
Cratos

Although we never met, you started the intellectual revolution in horserace handicapping which many have “copied”, but never duplicated.

Have a great retirement and return to the Spa someday?

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I was surprised that, according to this article, Beyer received so much criticism. He's a smart guy and a great writer. I'll miss his columns.
When they had comments threads at the Washington Post, it got really bad. Basically any time Beyer picked a loser, they were vicious. Most of these people knew very little about handicapping. (Obviously, anyone who is serious would judge Beyer, or any other newspaper handicapper, much more based on the quality of the analysis and not whether the particular horse came in.)
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 02:42 PM   #27
dilanesp

At the 1987 Breeders' Cup at Hollywood Park, he conducted a seminar and announced confidently that "I can't wait to get to the windows and bet everything in my pocket on Afleet in the Breeders' Cup Classic, Ferdinand or no Ferdinand".

Of course, Ferdinand won. But it didn't matter to me. I just loved that a handicapper would say something like that and put himself out there.

BTW, it was obvious that this was coming. He had stopped writing his regular triple crown and breeders' cup columns after American Pharoah last year.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-14-2016, 03:50 PM   #28
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
At the 1987 Breeders' Cup at Hollywood Park, he conducted a seminar and announced confidently that "I can't wait to get to the windows and bet everything in my pocket on Afleet in the Breeders' Cup Classic, Ferdinand or no Ferdinand".

Of course, Ferdinand won. But it didn't matter to me. I just loved that a handicapper would say something like that and put himself out there.

BTW, it was obvious that this was coming. He had stopped writing his regular triple crown and breeders' cup columns after American Pharoah last year.
Interesting that Andy goes out on a high note in horse racing with Triple Crown winner American Pharoah....it is a somehow fitting place to pause or retire...good luck Andy, and I hope you post here on PA in the future...would love that!
Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #29
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
Very well written blog, Gus....There is a lot of that "renegade" in me as well...

With Andy's retirement, I wonder which horseplayer/writer is the next best thing to him now...Which lights are still glowing, however dimly, in the dusk of our journalistic demise...?
For pontification/theorizing, story telling, humor,capturing a moment and sheer wit, I nominate Thaskalos and Replay Randall.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:36 PM   #30
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
I think skipping his final at Harvard to go place a bet at the track might place him in the degenerate Hall of Fame.
Does it count that I spent 4 years in the NYCOTB while in college?