Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-22-2016, 11:19 PM   #1
Baron Star Gregg

Enhanced Del Mar Pick Six

The new twist on the Pick Six...Those picking all six winners will continue to get 70% of the pool, but the remaining 30% will be split two ways. Those with consolation tickets will be paid 15% of the pool, while the final 15% will be carried forward until there is a lone Pick Six winning ticket.

At this point why pay on consolation tickets at all? Does this even stand a chance of being successful? I'm going to have to be much more selective as to when I play the Pick Six. Am I wrong or have they lost their minds?
Baron Star Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 12:04 AM   #2
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Star Gregg
The new twist on the Pick Six...Those picking all six winners will continue to get 70% of the pool, but the remaining 30% will be split two ways. Those with consolation tickets will be paid 15% of the pool, while the final 15% will be carried forward until there is a lone Pick Six winning ticket.

At this point why pay on consolation tickets at all? Does this even stand a chance of being successful? I'm going to have to be much more selective as to when I play the Pick Six. Am I wrong or have they lost their minds?
The lifeblood of a P-6 player is the consolation payoffs. It is what keeps you in the game chasing the score. To cut that payoff in half to fund a jackpot bet takes a lot of money out of play.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
spiketoo

Spiketoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
The lifeblood of a P-6 player is the consolation payoffs. It is what keeps you in the game chasing the score. To cut that payoff in half to fund a jackpot bet takes a lot of money out of play.
Exactly! Consols help with my churn when there is a C/O.

Can I change the title to Del Mar Phucks up P6???
spiketoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

If Belmont had these rules in place bettors would have collected $2026 yesterday instead of $4052. That matters a lot to the regular P6 player.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
ronsmac

It's probably not the smartest move. On the bright side, if there's no single winning ticket the last week or two.The whales get a double bonus. All of the carryover money,plus all of the money from those suckers who play the 96 dollar tvg tickets that'll be given out over and over. Those tickets have zero chance of winning.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #6
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

A vacuous move indeed. How is this an improvement?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
MonmouthParkJoe

I read this yesterday and almost fell out of my chair. I know personally speaking I dont play the pick 6 for the consos as the article points out, but why take more money out of the players pockets?

Even if the effective takeout for the rest of the jackpot bets is extremely high with the single ticket provision for the entire payout, the trade off is the low base wager. This delmar bet makes no sense to me, at all
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #8
AndyC

"Most Pick Six players indicated that consolation pools weren’t the reason they played the bet and Del Mar officials emphasized that the consolation prizes weren’t being taken away, but rather adjusted to allow for half of it to be reallocated to the “Jackpot” pool."

I certainly never played the P-6 for the consolations but I was able to continue playing the P-6 because of the consolations. Talk about spinning an answer to fit your needs/wants.

At $2 a pop I would suspect that the Jackpot will not go too many days without a single winner. It is a big boy bet requiring a big bankroll effectively eliminating the small to midsize P-6 player.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #9
SandyW

Dumb, and stupid that is what this new pick 6 is. Good luck on the handle not dropping like a rock.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
AndyC

It is easy to sit back and complain and I have certainly been guilty on this thread. So I am offering Del Mar a suggested change to their new P-6 that should suit everybody.

They should request a takeout change from the current 23.68% to the W-P-S takeout of 15.43% for the P-6. The change in takeout should be used entirely to fund the jackpot. On their current proposal, the jackpot would get 11.45% (.15 X 76.32%) of the pool each day and with mine they would get 8.25%. This way all parties are happy and the expected increase in handle should cover the reduction in takeout percentage.

Del Mar should also look at seeding or setting a minimum Jackpot payout so the jackpot lured bettors won't have to sit on their wallets waiting for the build.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #11
dilanesp

Andy's proposal is a good idea.

But there's obviously a rift here between how tracks view the pick 6 (as a lottery type wager) and how horseplayers do (as a serious, beatable bet for high bankroll players).

This problem is not going away.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 12:14 PM   #12
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
It is easy to sit back and complain and I have certainly been guilty on this thread. So I am offering Del Mar a suggested change to their new P-6 that should suit everybody.

They should request a takeout change from the current 23.68% to the W-P-S takeout of 15.43% for the P-6. The change in takeout should be used entirely to fund the jackpot. On their current proposal, the jackpot would get 11.45% (.15 X 76.32%) of the pool each day and with mine they would get 8.25%. This way all parties are happy and the expected increase in handle should cover the reduction in takeout percentage.

Del Mar should also look at seeding or setting a minimum Jackpot payout so the jackpot lured bettors won't have to sit on their wallets waiting for the build.
This is a very clever and interesting idea. There is one major reason it would never happen.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #13
1st time lasix

I will never play a jackpot-type play..... unless it is mandatory payout day. I want to get properly paid in full for the risk I take. The Del Mar announcement has effectively ended my handle on their pick six. There are other pools (and other tracks) to consider with my handicapping decisions.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
If Belmont had these rules in place bettors would have collected $2026 yesterday instead of $4052. That matters a lot to the regular P6 player.

The article quoted big pick 6 players stating the consolation payoffs meant little in their playing the bet.

I find that very difficult to believe, wonder who these players were.

I dont play the bet but my bankroll churn sure would be affected by a 50% reduction in consol payoffs.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 09-23-2016 at 12:35 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2016, 12:36 PM   #15
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

welp, should be a fun little exercise for the math nerds -- if nothing else
zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: