Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #46
thaskalos

I think we get it. TVG appeals to the "casual racing fan"...and does not feel like getting down to the "nitty gritty" of the handicapping process...because that would be a little "over-the-head" of their targeted audience. Fine.

But...since the only fighting chance that the casual racing fan has in this game is to eventually become better acquainted with a more thorough form of the art/science of handicapping...shouldn't this show eventually evolve to reflect the necessary need for their targeted audience to evolve as well? TVG seems to operate as if they are appealing to an unlimited supply of neophyte fans. Their current shows are just as simplistic as their initial shows were. Misguided operating procedure for a horse racing channel, IMO.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #47
Big Peps

I do listen to what most of them have to say but never structure tickets with theirs or anything like that. I think Caruthers' wife does a nice job with the baby pedigree. I also find Todd, Mike and Paul funny most of the time, in a cheesy way. It's horse racing, not national security. I think both Britney and Christina do a nice job as well.

Lighten up. I laughed at the Whitney walk with the bar hopping they did a few weekends ago.

Problem as in with most problems with horse racing these days is the aging demographic. Grumpy old guys don't like TVG because well they are grumpy old guys.

TVG is quirky anyway, it's a cable channel covering horse racing that most people don't care about.
Big Peps is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #48
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I think we get it. TVG appeals to the "casual racing fan"...and does not feel like getting down to the "nitty gritty" of the handicapping process...because that would be a little "over-the-head" of their targeted audience. Fine.

But...since the only fighting chance that the casual racing fan has in this game is to eventually become better acquainted with a more thorough form of the art/science of handicapping...shouldn't this show eventually evolve to reflect the necessary need for their targeted audience to evolve as well? TVG seems to operate as if they are appealing to an unlimited supply of neophyte fans. Their current shows are just as simplistic as their initial shows were. Misguided operating procedure for a horse racing channel, IMO.
I doubt that the casual racing fan spends too much time watching TVG. I would guess that 95% of the audience are players with betting accounts just watching their action. Players who used to hang out in the OTBs.

What would you suggest as a way for TVG to evolve?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 05:00 PM   #49
Poindexter

TVG hosts do take a lot of heat here. They do fine. They talk racing, they talk handicapping, they keep the conversation flowing, they keep it entertaining and have good energy. I feel they do the job they are supposed to do. Just to give an example, I believe last year at Del Mar they had guest hosts on(I forget how they were determined) and I felt the show sort of sucked with the guest hosts (these were horseplayers, but hey weren't broadcasters and the show suffered because of it).

I really do not get the criciticism of Britney Eurton. Very good interviewer, very good energy, very pleasant and comes across as very sweet. May not be a very good handicapper (I honestly do not pay much attention to any of them as handicappers, so I really do not know-but I get that feeling), but that to me is completely irrelevant.

Thaskalos, they go from track to track. How in depth do you want them to get in 3 minutes before a race is going to go off? This is not the show for handicappers to get in depth handicapping insights. That should be the job of track feeds (and many of the tracks do a good job with their feeds-NYRA for instance).
Poindexter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #50
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

I'm just happy there is a TV show that does the live broadcasts! I would hate for there to be none...that could happen you know...so it is probably in everyone's best interests to be nice...besides everyone there is a regular Joe anyway....my kind of folks...no real high flyers or pompous people...
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 07:37 PM   #51
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter
Thaskalos, they go from track to track. How in depth do you want them to get in 3 minutes before a race is going to go off? This is not the show for handicappers to get in depth handicapping insights. That should be the job of track feeds (and many of the tracks do a good job with their feeds-NYRA for instance).
I am not talking about their "live" programming...when they go track-to-track.. I am talking about their so-called "handicapping shows"...where their on-air personalities pair up and discuss upcoming races. Instead of engaging in the sort of handicapping process which might intrigue their fans into becoming "educated bettors"...they allow those programs to disintegrate into mere touting affairs, with a few handicapping cliches thrown in.

TVG was the only horse racing channel to be carried widely by the major cable TV services for many years...and they were presented with a singular opportunity to impact the game in a significant and lasting manner. But, instead of trying to educate their audience and help grow the horse racing fan base...they channeled their attention to becoming little more than an on-air touting service.

Last edited by thaskalos; 08-17-2016 at 07:43 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #52
nancy4487

My son is LIVID at TVG at the moment. He wants to watch Saratoga, and all the analysts do is yap on and on about DelMar and nonsensical, meaningless asides. There is often NO post parade, as they show a Brett Favre commercial instead.
If you do not have a program, or Equibase "in today" open, how do you know who the horses/riders are?
I pay extra for this "sports package" through Cablevision. Thank goodness at 4 PM they are live from Saratoga on another channel.
nancy4487 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #53
showonly

I didn't know TVG reached CUBA. Say hello to the Castro's.
showonly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 03:41 AM   #54
v j stauffer

Quote:
TVG hosts do take a lot of heat here. They do fine. They talk racing, they talk handicapping, they keep the conversation flowing, they keep it entertaining and have good energy. I feel they do the job they are supposed to do. Just to give an example, I believe last year at Del Mar they had guest hosts on(I forget how they were determined) and I felt the show sort of sucked with the guest hosts (these were horseplayers, but hey weren't broadcasters and the show suffered because of it).

I really do not get the criciticism of Britney Eurton. Very good interviewer, very good energy, very pleasant and comes across as very sweet. May not be a very good handicapper (I honestly do not pay much attention to any of them as handicappers, so I really do not know-but I get that feeling), but that to me is completely irrelevant.

SHARP POST
Old 08-18-2016, 05:37 AM   #55
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy4487
My son is LIVID at TVG at the moment. He wants to watch Saratoga, and all the analysts do is yap on and on about DelMar and nonsensical, meaningless asides. There is often NO post parade, as they show a Brett Favre commercial instead.
If you do not have a program, or Equibase "in today" open, how do you know who the horses/riders are?
I pay extra for this "sports package" through Cablevision. Thank goodness at 4 PM they are live from Saratoga on another channel.
when Comcast decided to charge a sports access fee i got rid of mt $150 a month cable bill. You can get TVG live on their website now without paying for it. i even opened up a wagering account with them. fir certain tracks and bets i do better with them than other places that i still play at.

since i got rid of cable i am sleeping better at night. other than TVG the only other station that i am interested in is Bloomberg and i get that streamed as well.i don't miss morning joe or the awful news programming on Fox or CNN with all their bias bullshit.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 06:07 AM   #56
upthecreek

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
when Comcast decided to charge a sports access fee i got rid of mt $150 a month cable bill. You can get TVG live on their website now without paying for it. i even opened up a wagering account with them. fir certain tracks and bets i do better with them than other places that i still play at.

since i got rid of cable i am sleeping better at night. other than TVG the only other station that i am interested in is Bloomberg and i get that streamed as well.i don't miss morning joe or the awful news programming on Fox or CNN with all their bias bullshit.
I have Comcast I don't have to pay for TVG,its included in their digital preferred package
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 07:44 AM   #57
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthecreek
I have Comcast I don't have to pay for TVG,its included in their digital preferred package
i don't pay a dime for it, its free now on their website.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #58
Hoops McCann

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey
I'm just happy there is a TV show that does the live broadcasts! I would hate for there to be none...that could happen you know...so it is probably in everyone's best interests to be nice...besides everyone there is a regular Joe anyway....my kind of folks...no real high flyers or pompous people...
Hoops McCann is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #59
pandy

Quote:

I agree. And Britney Eurton is an excellent interviewer.

If they got some nerdy analytical guys on there breaking handicapping down from a petri dish it would put people to sleep. Their hosts are animated and they have personalities, which is what you want. I'm not surprised by the criticism because you're never going to please everyone, but they discuss pace, pedigree, speed, trainers, jockeys, workouts, how the horse looks on the track, track bias, key races, and they even interview trainers and ask them how their horse is doing. They are not neophytes by any stretch of the imagination.

There is some pretty good stuff sometimes, and in depth, if you listen. For instance, they quote workout reports "Andy Harrington gave this horse a B+"...they tell you how fast a horse worked at the sale, things like that. Workout reports are expensive.

There are two scores I had that I can think of off the top of my head that were greatly influenced by TVG. One was a horse that was my Best Bet at Hollywood Park, a 1ster. They interviewed the trainer Ron Mcanally, before the race, and he said, "I can't remember the last time I won with a firster, but I can tell you, this filly can really run." I doubled my bet and his filly paid $46 to win. Then David Cassidy called in one morning and said that his colt, a first time starter, had an unreported workout because he ran off one morning and they never got the clock on it. Cassidy said he worked 4 furlongs in :45 and change and was the best horse he'd ever owned and that he felt he would be tough to beat. I boxed my pick with Cassidy's horse and hit the exacta, which paid $40 or so, and Cassidy's horse won easily at 5-2 odds.

Last edited by pandy; 08-18-2016 at 10:40 AM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 03:53 PM   #60
1st time lasix

As a fan of horseracing on many levels. {patron, owner, handicapper} I am a TVG fan....I am happy to be able to watch the races and be entertained at home when I flip it on. The criticism from behind a key board is far too harsh and any 'haters' all have the simple option not to turn on the channel! I don't particularly like a lot of tv programming such as those reality shows and bachelor events. I simply choose not to watch. Of course I never expect one of their commentators to significantly alter my handicapping method. That doesn't mean I don't mind listening to their takes and watching the event unfold. And I generally play multiple tickets on pick fours, fives and carryover sixes. They are not able to do that in their limited time.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply