Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #16
Dave Schwartz

Oh, man.

Every time you guys post this stuff, I am reminded of how much I miss being there.

Hope you all have a great time.

Maybe next year for me. :-(
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #17
jefftune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
I will be making a "pilgrimage" up there next week, and will be at the track 8/10-8/13. Will be staying at the Spa Motel on Ballston St. downtown. Reliving old times when I used to work up there every August; kind of a "bucket list" trip.
I was up to Saratoga last week. Great time as usual. I've been staying at the Spa Motel for about 20 years now. The motel is up for sale, may have to find a new home next year!
jefftune is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #18
wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang
Call me crazy, but my trip to Saratoga now stops at Presque Isle Downs.

For years I drove to Saratoga from Cincinnati via Presque Isle and Finger Lakes, but since my last trip to the spa, the year that Tom Durkin retired, I now come to Presque Isle, devotedly play the Saratoga races by day and the Presque live card by evening/night without venturing farther east on I-90.

I really miss breakfast at the Malta Diner and the hub-bub around the track and downtown, while staying down at Round Lake for a song. However, old age and lack of buddies to make the trip with, brings me here for a week each summer and it is quite nice. There are a couple of nice Italian restaurants downtown Eire, Pa, and at $67 a night in the nicest Super 8 in the world it works for me.

There is nothing like Saratoga (for us Easterners) and if you have the chance by all means go.
Presque Isle Downs ranks near the top of my favorite tracks visited. Great sightlines, even standing near the rail, like a patio party with a racetrack in the backyard.
Old 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM   #19
Storm Cadet

toga

Just returned from my annual trip to Saratoga for Friday/Saturday on Whitney weekend.

Stayed down in the Albany area in my usual hotel. I miss the days of renting a home right in Saratoga with Bill W, CJ and his brother and dad, and all the others! Was so convenient being right in town for the racing.

This year I was the guest of Team Valor and America's Best Racing. Had a great location on the 4th floor Club Terrace right past the finish line with 20 other guests. Programs, all day paddock passes, lunch and drinks all day, Team Valor gifts, as well as the opportunity to network with some great handicappers. Team Valor had an entry Saturday in R5 so we all headed down to meet their jockey- trainer.

One of the guys in our group had the winner of the Test BIG, super, pick 4, ex, and I believe he was one of the winners of the pick 6. He watched the last race in a private area.

After a profitable Friday, I got slammed Saturday but that's racing. Maybe next year Mike PA can entice CJ to return to Upstate!

Last edited by Storm Cadet; 08-07-2016 at 11:03 AM.
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 01:20 PM   #20
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet
Just returned from my annual trip to Saratoga for Friday/Saturday on Whitney weekend.

Stayed down in the Albany area in my usual hotel. I miss the days of renting a home right in Saratoga with Bill W, CJ and his brother and dad, and all the others! Was so convenient being right in town for the racing.

This year I was the guest of Team Valor and America's Best Racing. Had a great location on the 4th floor Club Terrace right past the finish line with 20 other guests. Programs, all day paddock passes, lunch and drinks all day, Team Valor gifts, as well as the opportunity to network with some great handicappers. Team Valor had an entry Saturday in R5 so we all headed down to meet their jockey- trainer.

One of the guys in our group had the winner of the Test BIG, super, pick 4, ex, and I believe he was one of the winners of the pick 6. He watched the last race in a private area.

After a profitable Friday, I got slammed Saturday but that's racing. Maybe next year Mike PA can entice CJ to return to Upstate!
I've been there most years but most likely won't this year. Thinking of doing the Woodbine Mile this year and have a big family trip to Mexico in November before my daughter deploys to Turkey. ( ) Next year is definitely doable.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #21
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Cadet

sorry you lost yesterday, but you have to admit it was an amazing card
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2016, 03:38 PM   #22
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune
I was up to Saratoga last week. Great time as usual. I've been staying at the Spa Motel for about 20 years now. The motel is up for sale, may have to find a new home next year!
I'm sharing a room with an old racetrack pal who's pretty tight with Cecilia, the owner, and Nadine, the manager. Didn't know it was up for sale, but I know that the owner is getting on in years (me too!).
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #23
BMustang

I almost feel sorry for those who stay in Albany.

For me the one time I did, it really spoiled the "adventure." Albany, especially near the Airport is very generic with nothing but chain stores, hotels, and restaurants. Driving back and forth up and down that expressway is no pleasure tour.

There are places around Saratoga along Route 9 in the Malta area where you can find rooms for @$100 a night. Lake George has a certain Saratogaesque charm and the folks who stay there are all horse players, reading their racing forms and going to the track and dinner. If you have to stay along the expressways there are hotels/motels at each interchange, which even beats staying in Albany. Do your homework, make some notes, and then book early.

Maybe others enjoy it, but for me, staying in Albany really ruins the total Saratoga experience.
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 06:01 AM   #24
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMustang
I almost feel sorry for those who stay in Albany.

For me the one time I did, it really spoiled the "adventure." Albany, especially near the Airport is very generic with nothing but chain stores, hotels, and restaurants. Driving back and forth up and down that expressway is no pleasure tour.

There are places around Saratoga along Route 9 in the Malta area where you can find rooms for @$100 a night. Lake George has a certain Saratogaesque charm and the folks who stay there are all horse players, reading their racing forms and going to the track and dinner. If you have to stay along the expressways there are hotels/motels at each interchange, which even beats staying in Albany. Do your homework, make some notes, and then book early.

Maybe others enjoy it, but for me, staying in Albany really ruins the total Saratoga experience.
check out ralphs Italian restaurant down by the airport..not a chain, pretty good, huge portions
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #25
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

When I go to Saratoga I either stay at yaddo gardens, the reading room, the gideon putnam or the best western Albany airport.

By the way for you Tom Durkin fans, he will be appearing with the Philadelphia Orchestra on this Wednesday evening at the SPAC. I saw this show a few years ago when it first premiered - they were honoring the 150 anniversary of the track. The orchestra plays works that have an equine theme such as Aaron Copeland’s hoedown(beef, it’s what’s for dinner). Tom gives a spine-tingling performance .

http://www.spac.org/events/2016/08/1...phia-orchestra
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 11:26 AM   #26
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Drove up to Saratoga Wednesday and came back Saturday. Will be back on closing weekend, but a quick review of things seen and experienced.

Pretty smooth trip up. Left from midtown about 4 pm and once we got off the streets and through the FDR it was fine. Even got a performance from a big fan of some sort of Latin music (sorry don't know the genre well enough) who was playing along on his maracas while stuck in traffic. Don't usually think of driving and maraca playing going together, but hey, learn something new every day in this town.

Stayed in Malta (exit 12) at the Fairfield, which was actually quite nice and a very short hop from town. We ate that night in Malta at the Spicy Tomater...sorry, that's the Ripe Tomato and a private joke. It was ok fare for up there but do not become fascinated by something called Oreo Mousse. Something with a name like that should be gloriously decadent but in fact it was tasteless and cased a bit of indigestion.

A little shopping the next morning to add to the fall wardrobe with very nice 50% discount on average. I love shopping in Saratoga. Then picked up a dozen cupcakes at the Bread Basket on Spring St.and headed to the track. The wife had been invited to picnic being held by Drawing Away Stables, which was nice. They had a great spread going.

Got to say though the track itself was a bit of a downer. They have crammed 100 more picnic tables in back there and it looks even more a mess than ever. Watching the last vestiges of the green grass being stomped into dirt always depresses me. But it was a nice day and we got to see several friends as we walked about. Was glad to see the TRF was on track in the community space (though I wish they let them have that spot every day) so was also able give a donation to them as I like to do every year. Rolled three pick 3s starting in the 5th. DQed from the first leg of the first and downhill from there. i still can't figure out why I bet this place.

Left around the 7th as we had reservations at the new Osteria Danny and wanted to change and get cleaned up. It is run by the chef formerly of Maestro's. Food was actually a bit better than Maestro's was. Started with the simple olives and provolone and had the backed cod. Both were very good. To be honest though, I can't see this place lasting more than a couple years though and given choice, would likely go elsewhere. we walked down Henry to try to catch the end of Andy's radio show but were a bit too late but did catch him on the street for a minute.

Friday we also did some shopping early. Right next to the Saratoga Olive Oil store on Broadway is a place called The Savory Pantry. Not sure when this place opened, but they have all the super tasty foods that Putnam Market used to have but doesn't seem to anymore. I found goat cheese stuffed olives. Sooooo gooood!!!!! Had lunch at Boca Bistro, which I like very much. Lunch menu very different from dinner, sandwich oriented. Had a chicken sandwich on pretzel roll special along with a cup of their stew (bacon, white beans and chorizo...what's not to like?)

I put some bets in, 4 rolling pick 3s, starting with the 5th race, but then we decided that neither of us really felt like going back to the track so we walked around a bit and went back to the hotel for a little afternoon nap/pool time/catch up with work. Hit 5 straight races and thus 3 pick 3s in a row. This wiped out all previous losses on Saratoga bets this year and put me slightly in the black (this was lost on the single p3 I played Sunday. I should just stop now and call it a draw...). Did nothing different in my handicapping, just the difference a day can make. Came back into town that night for dinner at the vastly ignored and extremely good Karavalli. Chicken Ammwala. Trust me.

Headed back home a bit before noon Saturday. Albany area was a parking lot on the Northway. Hideous. Managed to get home in 4 1/2 hrs, not even close to the worst time (3 1/2 is pretty much optimal), but it felt like ages.

I think I've gotten jaded. After being able to stay right in town and be there on and off from a week before everything started to Labor Day has spoiled me I'm pretty sure. The track is pretty much the last place I want to go in that town anymore. At times it just feels so uncomfortable. I very much miss being able to host the group as well. That was the thing that made the meet the most fun for me I think. Without that it's just a sea of people who very likely will annoy me. To be honest, since we started going up there in the winter, I've started to prefer that time of year to be there. The town is still great fun, so those of you that love going to the track, don't miss the rest of what is going on. Maybe closing weekend will be a little calmer and enjoyable. Missed Mexican Connection this time and we are definitely going to do Sunday brunch at Prime (highly recommended) and do need to get my HoF museum membership renewed (buy a membership and support this place, it is worth it).

So that's that. Hope it didn't sound like too much a downer as I did enjoy getting out of the city for a few days. Guess I've just seen a bit too much there which has caused the mystique to wear off a bit. If you haven't been there yet, you must see it, that still stands.

Last edited by OTM Al; 08-08-2016 at 11:28 AM.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #27
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Drove up to Saratoga Wednesday and came back Saturday. Will be back on closing weekend, but a quick review of things seen and experienced.

Pretty smooth trip up. Left from midtown about 4 pm and once we got off the streets and through the FDR it was fine. Even got a performance from a big fan of some sort of Latin music (sorry don't know the genre well enough) who was playing along on his maracas while stuck in traffic. Don't usually think of driving and maraca playing going together, but hey, learn something new every day in this town.

Stayed in Malta (exit 12) at the Fairfield, which was actually quite nice and a very short hop from town. We ate that night in Malta at the Spicy Tomater...sorry, that's the Ripe Tomato and a private joke. It was ok fare for up there but do not become fascinated by something called Oreo Mousse. Something with a name like that should be gloriously decadent but in fact it was tasteless and cased a bit of indigestion.

A little shopping the next morning to add to the fall wardrobe with very nice 50% discount on average. I love shopping in Saratoga. Then picked up a dozen cupcakes at the Bread Basket on Spring St.and headed to the track. The wife had been invited to picnic being held by Drawing Away Stables, which was nice. They had a great spread going.

Got to say though the track itself was a bit of a downer. They have crammed 100 more picnic tables in back there and it looks even more a mess than ever. Watching the last vestiges of the green grass being stomped into dirt always depresses me. But it was a nice day and we got to see several friends as we walked about. Was glad to see the TRF was on track in the community space (though I wish they let them have that spot every day) so was also able give a donation to them as I like to do every year. Rolled three pick 3s starting in the 5th. DQed from the first leg of the first and downhill from there. i still can't figure out why I bet this place.

Left around the 7th as we had reservations at the new Osteria Danny and wanted to change and get cleaned up. It is run by the chef formerly of Maestro's. Food was actually a bit better than Maestro's was. Started with the simple olives and provolone and had the backed cod. Both were very good. To be honest though, I can't see this place lasting more than a couple years though and given choice, would likely go elsewhere. we walked down Henry to try to catch the end of Andy's radio show but were a bit too late but did catch him on the street for a minute.

Friday we also did some shopping early. Right next to the Saratoga Olive Oil store on Broadway is a place called The Savory Pantry. Not sure when this place opened, but they have all the super tasty foods that Putnam Market used to have but doesn't seem to anymore. I found goat cheese stuffed olives. Sooooo gooood!!!!! Had lunch at Boca Bistro, which I like very much. Lunch menu very different from dinner, sandwich oriented. Had a chicken sandwich on pretzel roll special along with a cup of their stew (bacon, white beans and chorizo...what's not to like?)

I put some bets in, 4 rolling pick 3s, starting with the 5th race, but then we decided that neither of us really felt like going back to the track so we walked around a bit and went back to the hotel for a little afternoon nap/pool time/catch up with work. Hit 5 straight races and thus 3 pick 3s in a row. This wiped out all previous losses on Saratoga bets this year and put me slightly in the black (this was lost on the single p3 I played Sunday. I should just stop now and call it a draw...). Did nothing different in my handicapping, just the difference a day can make. Came back into town that night for dinner at the vastly ignored and extremely good Karavalli. Chicken Ammwala. Trust me.

Headed back home a bit before noon Saturday. Albany area was a parking lot on the Northway. Hideous. Managed to get home in 4 1/2 hrs, not even close to the worst time (3 1/2 is pretty much optimal), but it felt like ages.

I think I've gotten jaded. After being able to stay right in town and be there on and off from a week before everything started to Labor Day has spoiled me I'm pretty sure. The track is pretty much the last place I want to go in that town anymore. At times it just feels so uncomfortable. I very much miss being able to host the group as well. That was the thing that made the meet the most fun for me I think. Without that it's just a sea of people who very likely will annoy me. To be honest, since we started going up there in the winter, I've started to prefer that time of year to be there. The town is still great fun, so those of you that love going to the track, don't miss the rest of what is going on. Maybe closing weekend will be a little calmer and enjoyable. Missed Mexican Connection this time and we are definitely going to do Sunday brunch at Prime (highly recommended) and do need to get my HoF museum membership renewed (buy a membership and support this place, it is worth it).

So that's that. Hope it didn't sound like too much a downer as I did enjoy getting out of the city for a few days. Guess I've just seen a bit too much there which has caused the mystique to wear off a bit. If you haven't been there yet, you must see it, that still stands.
Great post OTM.

Thank you for sharing with us your personal experiences of the weekend at Saratoga.

Amazingly I've never been.

Fortunately until this dam Ostrich moved into my backyard I was always working during the Saratoga season.

And of course, being a West Coast guy, there was always the allure of a little place called Del Mar.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #28
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
When I go to Saratoga I either stay at yaddo gardens, the reading room, the gideon putnam or the best western Albany airport.

By the way for you Tom Durkin fans, he will be appearing with the Philadelphia Orchestra on this Wednesday evening at the SPAC. I saw this show a few years ago when it first premiered - they were honoring the 150 anniversary of the track. The orchestra plays works that have an equine theme such as Aaron Copeland’s hoedown(beef, it’s what’s for dinner). Tom gives a spine-tingling performance .

http://www.spac.org/events/2016/08/1...phia-orchestra
I've done the best western and it ain't bad at all
the bar and restaurant in the hotel sucks though. Good breakfast. Stayed at springhill a little further south last year
was also nice with a good breakfast.

I got 3 people this year so we needed a pullout bed and stuff this year quality in Latham which I'm not too thrilled about
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 PM   #29
MonmouthParkJoe

Sorry you feel that way.

Over the years I have stayed all over the place, from Stephentown to Albany to right in the middle of Saratoga.

Each year presents it own set of challenges depending on where I am staying and who I go with, yet each year the place rejuvenates me. Yes it can be busy, but for those 40 days there is no place else in the world I would rather be. To each their own right?

On a side note, breadbasket is fantastic, so is Triangle Diner. I checked out Salt and Char, a new high end place in town. Some people love it, I was not impressed especially given the price of things. Prime is great, so is the Henry Street Tap room.

Best part of my day is the morning. Nothing quite like being there at the crack of dawn when it is like 60 degrees and crisp outside. The place is so quiet and beautiful.

Last edited by MonmouthParkJoe; 08-08-2016 at 08:34 PM.
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #30
1st time lasix

The past three or four years on my annual visit I have been many restaurants and bars in Saratoga Springs...its fun, particularly if with good friends in a vacation type mood-----but I agree that the truly most memorable time spent for me occurs as the morning sun comes up at the venue. For me.... it uplifts the soul and takes you a million miles away from the normal daily stresses of life. The air is usually cool and crisp and the people you do see all tend to say "good morning" because they know they are in a special place too. I enjoy both the Oklahoma training track and the main toga backside--- as the horses come out for their gallops and works. Great to see them get their daily baths by the barns. Interesting to hang around the practice starting gate as well. They are such magnificent animals. **** In the afternoons I have experienced the racing from all angles. (The rail, the grandstands, the private boxes and even the backside).....I still love to get in the paddock for those expensive maiden baby races: trying to see which might possibly be a future star.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply