Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Grits

I was teasing about the I-64 thing.... Still, rather than giving this lounge a number? Depending upon the location of the structure, Rice Road, if in the first turn, or Versailles Road, if coming to the top of the stretch out of the final turn, would've made more sense. A really tough two days of crowds.... I hope folks don't find themselves shut out of betting, on track. It would be a shame.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM   #17
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I was teasing about the I-64 thing.... Still, rather than giving this lounge a number? Depending upon the location of the structure, Rice Road, if in the first turn, or Versailles Road, if coming to the top of the stretch out of the final turn, would've made more sense. A really tough two days of crowds.... I hope folks don't find themselves shut out of betting, on track. It would be a shame.
No doubt. We messed up badly in 2013 at Santa Anita getting a grandstand seat. It was a 3 minute walk to the totes and concessions, and then the lines were miserable. Santa Anita did a horrible job of staffing, and had tellers that just couldn't handle it, and not nearly enough people at the concessions and drinks.

You had to be in line 10 MTP or you were very likely to get shut out.

Learned some tough and valuable lessons that year.

Keeneland is used to big crowds, but a BC crowd with them bringing in more seats and more people is a whole different animal.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 PM   #18
uncbossfan

I have seen others suggest more seats, but where will those be? Everything I see on bc.com shows only the standard areas they've always had and I saw a tweet today that said 28k tickets will be sold. If so, that's less than what is their for the Bluegrass so I'm not sure how believable that is.

Either way I'm trying for tickets and expect Keeneland to be a great host!
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 07:38 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I spent Breeders Cup day at Keeneland one year. The worst......

It's just too small
Old 02-25-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

It's just too small
that place is going to be a madhouse for the Breeder's Cup. i can sit in some tent there but i don't think i will. i had a great time at Santa Anita with the Breeder's Cup, i wish they just left it there.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2015, 08:07 PM   #21
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

It's just too small

Kentucky has a home football game against Tennessee that weekend too.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #22
Leparoux

People really complaining about the prices?? $100 for both days is nothing. Might want to surf the options before whining.

http://www.breederscup.com/tickets
Leparoux is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #23
joeslovo

Read that already...still whining!
Some of us aren't teenagers anymore;we can't stand up all day without collapsing.
joeslovo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 11:28 AM   #24
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

My wife and I love Keeneland, but after going to a couple of Bluegrass Days, we are going to pass. It was just too crowded. Way too crowded.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #25
Fingal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker
No doubt. We messed up badly in 2013 at Santa Anita getting a grandstand seat. It was a 3 minute walk to the totes and concessions, and then the lines were miserable. Santa Anita did a horrible job of staffing, and had tellers that just couldn't handle it, and not nearly enough people at the concessions and drinks.

Keeneland is used to big crowds, but a BC crowd with them bringing in more seats and more people is a whole different animal.
That was like the old days of the 50K+ crowds every weekend, you got in line with a TV above the teller so you could watch the odds as you shuffled along.

But this is why Belmont is expanding their wireless capacity. Panza may say it's for social media, but it's for betting. Tracks would rather you use a smartphone, tablet or laptop to bet and are pushing people that way. Because remember, personnel (tellers) are one of your biggest expenses.

If Keeneland is smart, they may want to increase their capacity too.

Quote:
Cellular capacity will be tripled across the Belmont property, with wireless providers Verizon and AT&T adding three new towers. Wi-Fi capacity across the Belmont property will also grow by 75 percent, with additional access points offering added convenience for customers using tablets and smartphones.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3Ss7Dl7ol
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker

Lines at the tote windows are unavoidable with gigantic crowds. When I was a kid, 10 to 15 minutes to bet at Santa Anita was actually standard. It's actually a lot better now.

But when there's a one-off big crowd, like at the Breeders' Cup, there's a huge requirement for temporary staffing, and there's just no way that ANY track is going to have no waiting to bet anywhere in the facility. When the BC was in New York, New Jersey, Canada, South Florida, and Louisville, it was the same way.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #27
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I had virtually no wait the last time the BC was at Belmont or Monmouth. It depends on what section of the park you're in. When I go to the track I like to take cash and bet via the betting machines, at least that's my preference. But I can't see Keenland bringing in too many extra betting machines. From their standpoint, they'd be better off hiring extra clerks and paying them the minimum wage for a couple days. Betting machines can get clogged up by computer dummies. My least preference would be betting via Iphone/Tablet when I'm at the track. I may as well stay home if I'm going to do that. I like the experience of leaving with a wad of cash at the end of the day, or empty pockets.

Last edited by Redboard; 02-26-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2015, 08:28 PM   #28
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
That was like the old days of the 50K+ crowds every weekend, you got in line with a TV above the teller so you could watch the odds as you shuffled along.

But this is why Belmont is expanding their wireless capacity. Panza may say it's for social media, but it's for betting. Tracks would rather you use a smartphone, tablet or laptop to bet and are pushing people that way. Because remember, personnel (tellers) are one of your biggest expenses.

If Keeneland is smart, they may want to increase their capacity too.
that's good cuz I was shutout at Belmont from about race 3 on for belmont stakes day..cost me a fortune
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #29
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

As far as the wireless capacity issue, I can see Keeneland increasing it BC weekend (if not overall). They bust their butts to get things right.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:55 AM   #30
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncbossfan
I have seen others suggest more seats, but where will those be? Everything I see on bc.com shows only the standard areas they've always had and I saw a tweet today that said 28k tickets will be sold. If so, that's less than what is their for the Bluegrass so I'm not sure how believable that is.

Either way I'm trying for tickets and expect Keeneland to be a great host!
Here was an image of where the temporary seating will be. It was from last October so may have changed.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bq7hc2LIgAAO-l3.jpg:large
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply