Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:12 AM   #46
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonGreyhound
SRU maybe you should stop whining about the attention a poster is getting for discussing the merits of a winning ticket in a $2.4 million pool at Santa Anita and get back to work on yet another diatribe exposing the TRAVESTY result of a stewards inquiry into a $5,000 claiming race or how some announcer had a HORRIFIC call of the 2nd race at Sunland Park that ruined your Tuesday afternoon.
Oh cmon, you aren't following the context of this discussion, go read the entire thread carefully and get back to me in a few weeks when you figure it out.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #47
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

SRU, when a guy like Vic starts calling you out, you know your stock is dropping. Suddenly, it's not just the usual suspects painting you with disdain.

Perhaps a little restraint is in order going forward...as in...don't feel it necessary that you have an opinion on almost every horse racing post made here...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #48
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
You know, i had this long thing typed out and it sounded kind of harsh, so i erased it and i'm going to post this instead, take the high road even after being called names that might or might not hurt my feelings.

I'm sorry that you feel upset that i've called out your colleague and friend on the announcers thread, if i see or hear a mistake, i call it out, much like i would expect people to call me out if i screw up, hopefully i won't get called clueless in every thread from now on, i'm hoping to find a clue at some point, hopefully you can cut me a little slack.

I could throw the 12-2 NBA record up there as proof that i'm not actually clueless, but you might be right, i did release 2 losers, i apologize to my fanbase for releasing losers, i'll try better next time.

As far as "piling on" a bettor who took a bad beat, we've all taken massive beats, for huge money, we all have, nobody doesn't feel bad for the guy, but on a message board, what are we going to do, lament and cry spilled milk for someone who isn't even posting here, just a picture of someone's ticket?
I'd rather do something constructive like discuss his ticket structure, sorry you feel its "piling on".

As CJ said, if you play a bunch of alls, he doesnt consider that a bad beat, and i agree, the guy cashed for 700, he got half his money back.....i also hit the pick 5 on a much smaller ticket and if the 2 wires the field in leg 4, i still hit it, and i didn't go "All" in leg 4, i was deep in there, but not all...nobody would cry about my "beat" if i posted that up for consumption so i don't think others are crying about some random ticket of someone who some poster knows, not even a person who posts here at PA.

Thanks for the time tested fact of the one horse you eliminate runs the race of their live 100% of the time, i read what you wrote, consumed it and now i'm smarter for having read it......so Clueless SRU just got a little less clueless thanks to you.
SRU...if it's any consolation, I think you were absolutely right to criticize the construction of that ticket. It's one thing to take a stab like that as a lark, because you are heading for Vegas and could use the extra money...but to do it on a regular basis is financial suicide.

We judge plays by their MERIT here...not by how close they came to cashing.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:13 PM   #49
Prairie Bettor

One question I have about "All" races in general, not necessarily the original poster's ticket, but just in general.

If you think the race is so difficult that you must go "All", if you did want to get cheaper and throw a horse out, shouldn't you throw the favorite out?

I'm just thinking if you go "All" and the favorite wins you are way behind in your ticket anyways that you may have well just lost. I don't know as I don't really play the big ticket P5's
Prairie Bettor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 04:17 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
SRU, when a guy like Vic starts calling you out, you know your stock is dropping. Suddenly, it's not just the usual suspects painting you with disdain.

Perhaps a little restraint is in order going forward...as in...don't feel it necessary that you have an opinion on almost every horse racing post made here...
If Vic had any balls...then he would have called out OTM Al and Cj as well...since they too pointed out that this was hardly a "bad beat". OTM Al also rightly categorized this ticket for what it REALLY was: a BAD BET! But no...Vic chose instead to call out only SRU...because he is the convenient target. Bush-league...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-06-2015 at 04:18 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #51
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

A guy like Vic? I almost spit my cheerios and milk all over the place! Making jokes like this can be messy!

Vic is "calling me out" because he's butthurt that i dare criticize announcers when they make a mistake. That's all it is, nothing more.

My stock is as high as ever (yes,12 is higher than 2 for those who aren't math Whizzes). PA has an ignore feature, so anyone who thinks i "post too much" can put me on ignore and you can show them how if they're not computer savvy enough, so the "posting in every thread" excuse to me is just a bunch of baloney.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #52
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
One question I have about "All" races in general, not necessarily the original poster's ticket, but just in general.

If you think the race is so difficult that you must go "All", if you did want to get cheaper and throw a horse out, shouldn't you throw the favorite out?

I'm just thinking if you go "All" and the favorite wins you are way behind in your ticket anyways that you may have well just lost. I don't know as I don't really play the big ticket P5's
My perspective is different. "All" is basically almost never a good bet. One of two things is true when you click "all":

1. You have no idea whatsoever what horse or horses to pick in that position on the ticket.

OR

2. You have an opinion, but it's likely not to be a particularly good payoff, so you are hoping to go bombs away with some longshot whom you didn't pick and didn't handicap.

If it's 1, 90 percent of the time, there's another betting option. If you go all on the bottom of a superfecta, play the trifecta. If you go all on the bottom of a trifecta, play the exacta. If you go all on the first leg of a pick 3, play the double of the last two races.

Most of the time, you make more money doing this anyway. It's only occasionally that some huge bombs away longshot comes in making the "all" bet more profitable.

If it's 2, you are just gambling. Sometimes, your opinion isn't worth much. If you like 2 favorites in the daily double, you should look at the probables, determine if you think you are getting good enough odds, and bet or pass it. Don't go 1/2/all on a pick 3 ticket just hoping some stupid result comes in for the 3rd leg.

In rare situations, you will be in scenario 1 and have no alternative bet. E.g., you have good plays for 5 of the 6 legs of the pick 6, but there's a grab-bag maiden turf race in there where none of the horses have ever run on the grass or shown anything on the dirt. So you check the all box. Fine.

But try to avoid "all" whenever you can. It's almost never +EV.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 PM   #53
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
If Vic had any balls...then he would have called out OTM Al and Cj as well...since they too pointed out that this was hardly a "bad beat". OTM Al also rightly categorized this ticket for what it REALLY was: a BAD BET! But no...Vic chose instead to call out only SRU...because he is the convenient target. Bush-league...IMO.
And why is he a convenient target?

Answer that, and you have the reason why Vic called out SRU and not cj or OTM Al.

Or are you going to accuse Vic of having an east-coast NYRA bias...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #54
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Off topic I guess but when I hit the all button and get $10.60 I'm doing cartwheels.....

Coming back out of 4 month racing hiatus fri or sat.....haven't had urge since car accident
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM   #55
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

OK, let me amend. Posting in every thread would be much cooler if you actually were posting something worth reading in every thread.

When your gems are few and far between, it gets to be a bit much.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #56
Track Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
SRU...if it's any consolation, I think you were absolutely right to criticize the construction of that ticket. It's one thing to take a stab like that as a lark, because you are heading for Vegas and could use the extra money...but to do it on a regular basis is financial suicide.

We judge plays by their MERIT here...not by how close they came to cashing.
I'm on the fence whether I agree with you or not. My philosophy is to bet small-ish and try to cash big. $72 ticket with some crazy players in the sequence so you give yourself on out for big money.

Having said that, what if this dude used the same strategy on Saturday at Santa Anita with all of those crazy bombs that NO ONE could find? He might have been sitting here with $396,000.

I think it is a tad presumptuous to tell someone how to "invest" their money. You're probably right but I've seen way too many crazy things happen and, let's face it, the people cashing the 6 or 7 figure tickets are not those that I would call expert handicappers.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #57
thaskalos

Quote:

Answer that, and you have the reason why Vic called out SRU and not cj or OTM Al.

There IS no reason to pick only on SRU in this thread. OTM Al's post right before SRU's was easily as critical of that ticket as SRU's post was. But no...according to Vic...SRU's opinion was "useless"...while the rest of the opinions were "constructive", "well-reasoned", and "thoughtful".

So, I ask:

Is it the OPINION that counts...or the person who voices it?

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-06-2015 at 04:34 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 PM   #58
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

Vic's upset because of my critical nature of announcers when they make a mistake. Nothing less, nothing more. Go back into the history and look at every exchange between me and Vic, most of it has been cordial, i've been one of his biggest supporters here and have had nothing but nice things to say about him over the years, its all there in black and white if you want to spend a few decades digging for all those posts. I like Vic a lot and will continue to like him, i think he's a great announcer and a pretty good guy, i understand his frustration on the annoucers thing, he asked me one time if i wouldn't mind taking it easy on announcers and i said i would, and i did for a while, i bit my tongue many an occasion, but i just couldn't help myself and decided to start calling them out again. There was a call the other day by a prominent announcer that i was DYING to criticize, but i didnt, bit my tongue and released an NBA winner instead, so maybe i'm learning.

I could point an announcers flub and i'm not the only person who does it by a longshot, the tampa announcer thread was started by CJ and has 55000 views, so its a topic people want to discuss and are very interested in hearing about. I try really hard to not call out announcers for no reason, if an announcer makes a mistake i feel worthy to mention, i'll mention it.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:38 PM   #59
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
I'm on the fence whether I agree with you or not. My philosophy is to bet small-ish and try to cash big. $72 ticket with some crazy players in the sequence so you give yourself on out for big money.

Having said that, what if this dude used the same strategy on Saturday at Santa Anita with all of those crazy bombs that NO ONE could find? He might have been sitting here with $396,000.

I think it is a tad presumptuous to tell someone how to "invest" their money. You're probably right but I've seen way too many crazy things happen and, let's face it, the people cashing the 6 or 7 figure tickets are not those that I would call expert handicappers.
I an not telling ANYBODY how to invest their money. You used this ticket to start a brand new thread...so I am assuming that you are looking for opinions from the posters here. So...here is MY opinion:

It was a HORRENDOUS play...and the worst thing about this play is that it came so close to cashing big. Because by coming so close to cashing...it will encourage this guy to make this play again, since he will feel that he was deprived of a pretty good score only by "bad luck".
Old 01-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Off topic I guess but when I hit the all button and get $10.60 I'm doing cartwheels.....

Coming back out of 4 month racing hiatus fri or sat.....haven't had urge since car accident
Whizzzer we miss you man. You are an amazing bright spot here at PA, hope all is going to be ok.

I know your point about the 10 dollar winner, i was very deep into the race where the "Awful beat guy' singled a 4-5 shot, and i had a 22-1 shot with a 200 length lead turning for home and got nailed, not to mention the 4-5 shot crashed into me in the stretch......that would have been a cartwheel situation for me for sure if that overbet favorite didn't rush by at the end.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: