Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #76
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Orb had a lot of things going for him before the race. He was a solid favorite and he was the most likely winner. Its pretty easy after the fact to say he had no shot, its amazing to me how brave people get after the races have been run.
????
Be careful. There are people out here who are waiting to take your money. And they won't give you any chance at theirs unless you give away value.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #77
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
I disagree, those who have reached 30% hit rates, that don't bet the favorite all the time, are hitting only 30% because of the randomality of the game. .
????
What?
Whatever you are saying-- you are wrong.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #78
pondman

Quote:

In a 9 horse field, it only costs 336 dollars to box the tri and eliminate Orb and it only costs 56 dollars to box the field in the exacta eliminating Orb, so, anyone who thought he was a great horse to toss, had no excuse not to have the tri and or the exacta in this race even if you had no opinion other than Orb was a great 3-5 shot to beat.
There is no absolute certainty.
A $336 single on Orb paid $5,510.40. I went that way because it would have been a real bitch if Orb would have shown.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:28 AM   #79
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondman
????
What?
Whatever you are saying-- you are wrong.
Ok, whatever you say.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #80
JPinMaryland

serious horse talk from the professionals...
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #81
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you are kidding or not.
Was my math wrong?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 AM   #82
thaskalos

Quote:
Was my math wrong?
No...but your thinking was.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #83
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
serious horse talk from the professionals...
I refuse to banter with someone who admits he doesn't understand what I said, but then says that whatever I meant is wrong.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #84
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
No...but your thinking was.
Yup!! But, with thinking like that, we have proof that there is still plenty of money to be made in this game.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #85
JPinMaryland

Quote:
In a year of full-time play, spanning all the tracks in the country, I would hazard to guess that you can count on the fingers of one hand the horses who deserve to be bet at odds of 3/5 in a 9-horse field...especially at a strange distance. And I think I might be generous here....

We all respect your vast handicapping knowledge. Can you tell me of any objective way you would have of proving which horses were deserved 3-5 favorites?

I for one, would love to know your system.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #86
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
We all respect your vast handicapping knowledge. Can you tell me of any objective way you would have of proving which horses were deserved 3-5 favorites?

He probably never, ever, bets a 3/5 horse to win. I certainly wouldn't, unless perhaps, he would have to break his leg in order to lose, meaning he's a grade 1 horse running in a $2500 claimer. There aren't many match races anymore so that possibility is out too.

Just consider what the 3/5 odds are saying about the "supposed" probability of the horse winning. That should tell you that NO 3/5 is worth a win bet, because we all know, or at least most of us know, anything can happen in the running of a race.

Last edited by raybo; 05-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #87
Capper Al

Quote:
Al, you're reading things into my post that weren't stated, I said nothing about "random" selections, I said "randomality" (of the game), period. If a player, regardless of his method, hits 30% of his bets at 5/2 or higher, then he is well above the herd, and his 70% loss rate would be much less if it weren't for the inherent "randomality" that is in horse racing.
Thanks for clearing that up.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #88
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Thanks for clearing that up.
Anytime, if people don't understand what I've posted, and say that, I am always willing to restate it in a more understandable way, if I possibly can. But, when someone doesn't understand what I've said and goes on to say I'm wrong, then they go quickly to my "X-off" list. There are several people here already on that list, as you can probably imagine.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #89
JPinMaryland

Quote:

That should tell you that NO 3/5 is worth a win bet, because we all know, or at least most of us know, anything can happen...
You have no way of proving a 3/5 bet is a losing proposition, either.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #90
thaskalos

Quote:

I was responding to Dilanesp...who had suggested that not all 3/5 shots are bad bets...and that "betting on a 3/5 shot is the same as betting on a 10/1 shot".

I would never consider betting on a 3/5 shot to win...but some people are different. They actually think that there is value to be found in all odds groups...and who am I to disagree with them...especially when we are all entitled to our opinions?

Is there value to be found in a 3/5 shot? I suppose...if a Secretariat or a Zenyatta were to make a return appearance -- but that's not how I like to play this game.

Last edited by thaskalos; 05-22-2013 at 03:12 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply