Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #16
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Mylute will always be a fraudulent horse to watch - he makes a huge move and then cannot finish.
For whatever reason...pace, bias, trip...folks keep making excuses for him.

I see him for what he is (imo ofcourse) a hanger....a Dollar Bill type who always makes you think that next time is gonna be his day.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
Robert Fischer
clean money

If you think the Belmont pace will collapse(or even when thinking about the bottom of vertical exotics), Mylute looks like a significantly better option than Revolutionary.

Mylute was better in the Derby, and then just ran well in the Preakness, while Revolutionary will take more money.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:20 PM   #18
JPinMaryland

I will pass on Belmont. It's extremely difficult to have any idea how these three year olds will do running a distance they have never run nor will ever run again. It seems like a total crap shot.

If I were to guess I would have thought Orb would have a decent shot (but not a value bet) due to his consistently running level fractions. I doubt he's going there next, he deserves some time off after a strong campaign.

ANother odd factor about Belmont is that the race doesn't really favor closers as far as I can recall. It would be hard to back a closer like Mylute
JPinMaryland is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

If he runs in the Belmont we'll find out if he's Dollar Bill or Jazil
Old 05-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

We may see a good pace in the Belmont with the field getting pretty strung out. If that happens, I could see Mylute coming up to run a non-threatening 2nd.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
JPinMaryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
It was a problem in the Louisiana Derby although he [mylute] was hanging against a dead game horse who knows how to find the wire (remember Revolutionary's traffic filled win over the inner dirt?). ...
I watched that as well. It's hard to make any firm conclusions about a race like that, but it sort of reminded me of a horse, I think it was Any GIven Saturday, who lost a stretch run in the Tampa Bay derby in 2007. And then sort of hung in the Wood Memorial as well.

These types are actually really good for fitting in the bottom of exactas so I could be on board with Bobby's suggestion above.

EDIT: I see now he won the Haskell and Dwyer

Last edited by JPinMaryland; 05-20-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #22
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Mylute will always be a fraudulent horse to watch - he makes a huge move and then cannot finish.
For whatever reason...pace, bias, trip...folks keep making excuses for him.

I see him for what he is (imo ofcourse) a hanger....a Dollar Bill type who always makes you think that next time is gonna be his day.
So he hung in the Louisiana Derby, so we are just gonna label him a hanger/sucker horse that can never win? I don't know if he can get 12 furlongs but he's as sharp as a razor right now.

JP in Maryland- Any Given Saturday not only won the Haskell but took the measure of Curlin, in the process.

Last edited by Valuist; 05-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
JPinMaryland

He looked like he was ahead of REv at some pt in the stretch of the LA derby but didn't really seem to dig in and want it. IN the derby I thought he kind of turned his head when eyeballed in the stretch. but I cant really recall.

I dunno you never know, just have to take stand at some pt. Good luck in the Belmont I have given up on that race..
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinMaryland
IN the derby I thought he kind of turned his head when eyeballed in the stretch. but I cant really recall.
After the first 6 furlongs of the Kentucky Derby, Revolutionary and Mylute were roughly in the same spot

Final Half Mile (6f to 10f Kentucky Derby)

Position = Revolutionary +1.25 Lengths
[Revolutionary was 1 length behind and finished .25 Lengths in front]

Ground Loss = Mylute +4.6 Lengths [Mylute ran 46 more feet final 4f]

Total = Mylute +3.35 Lengths.

Mylute was roughly 3&1/3 Lengths faster for the final half mile of the Derby.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 05-20-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #25
JPinMaryland

I like to study the running position as well as the final fractions for the derby runners in order to find value. Rough calculations show Orb coming home in about 25.9, Goldsoul 26 and Mylute 26.1. Obviously they were off the pace so how fast would they have run on a fast track? Is it good or very good?

I couldn't find any value in oxbow with come home times of 27.4 after a suicidal front running pace.

But obviously the track was deep and you have to make adjustments for that. Plus IMLD was blocked and oxbow was bumped. If you take off a sec for the track and maybe 1/3 for the bump.... maybe on a dry track Oxbow comes home in what 26? If so that's pretty damn good on the front end. by contrast SpendaBuck came home in 25.5 after a 1.10+ 3/4 and that's one of the greatest front running performances ever; these horses are running even faster...

Just really didn't like Oxs previous record it was uninspiring. Would up backing Governor Charlie/all.

Looking at it in retrospect; I'm not sure we can learn anything about the overall ranking of these horses based on these races. One race was a suicidal pace melt down; the other was a classic out in front on a slow pace. Both outcomes were highly influenced by pace.

Still confused....

Last edited by JPinMaryland; 05-20-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #26
classhandicapper

Why does everyone think the Preakness pace was so slow?

Granted, the fractions were slow compared to what we are used to seeing and the winner was on the front end. However, when you consider how slow the final time was (the track was very slow) and compare the pace to the Pimlico Special at the same distance the previous day, it appears to be more of a neutral pace. Adjust the Preakness fractions for track speed and all of a sudden they don't look very slow. The pace looks neutral.

Pimlico Special

24 2/5 49 4/5 114 139 1/5 158 2/5
(leader the very fast and in form Eighttofasttocatch who was loose and comfortable but did not wire)

Preakness

23 4/5 48 3/5 113 1/5 138 157 2/5
(leader Oxbow, stalked by the fast Goldenscents, several lengths back to the very fast Titletown Five)

Last edited by classhandicapper; 05-22-2013 at 07:42 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #27
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

Granted, the fractions were slow compared to what we are used to seeing and the winner was on the front end. However, when you consider how slow the final time was (the track was very slow) and compare the pace to the Pimlico Special at the same distance the previous day, it appears to be more of a neutral pace. Adjust the Preakness fractions for track speed and all of a sudden they don't look very slow. The pace looks neutral.

Pimlico Special

(leader the very fast and in form Eighttofasttocatch who was loose and comfortable but did not wire)

Preakness

(leader Oxbow, stalked by the fast Goldenscents, several lengths back to the very fast Titletown Five)
It wasn't slow....but it was not the derby either. The derby was a suicide pace. Horses that were with Oxbow early lost by some 30 to 50 lengths in the derby. Oxbow was in the picture until the final 16th, that was a tip off that he was a really good horse. Hes bred to run forever and his derby effort proved it even though he finished off the board. It also gave me the opinion that he is probably the best tactical speed horse at these distances. The new shooters were lacking in seasoning and class......as the derby is the key race in about 90% or more of the Preakness runnings. The top 4 came from the derby. From the derby outcome the only horse that really ran better than Oxbow was Orb. That horse (Oxbow) ran his balls off in the derby and it went under the radar. It was classic "pace relief", once he discouraged Goldencents early...it was over. Itsmyluckyday suffered from this trip (he had no help up front) but still ran really well and proved hes no fluke. Someone posted still confused . I'm not, until someone else proves different, the 3 best are Orb, Oxbow and Itsmyluckyday...........most of these others have proven they can't hang with these horses. Maybe Mylute, hes hung, but that seems to be what he does best, hes got to break through and win one.
burnsy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #28
JPinMaryland

How do you come out on Golden Soul? Not up there with these ones?
Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #29
pondman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
Someone posted still confused . I'm not, until someone else proves different, the 3 best are Orb, Oxbow and Itsmyluckyday..........
++++

These are the horses in the spots for bonuses. If Velasquez get's back on Itsmyluckyday, I'll consider a single. They've got the horse running in the right direction, and he's got more speed than all of these. Oxbow will be there. It still is early, but I'd agree those are probably the exotic choices. Hopefully you get more than 6 horses running.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #30
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper

Pimlico Special

Preakness

The Pimlico Special was a crawlfest so I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. Eighttofasttocatch may have been in form but he was just galloping.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply