Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 PM   #151
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
The outcome of a race is decided by a power greater than anyone.
The VET?

Jim the Hat used to tell the story of a guy who would look in to the mirror and repeat over and over, "You are a winner. You are a winner......"

One day, the mirror replied, "No you aren't!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #152
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim
Light,
Most evenings before I hit the sack I think of that last or last few winners I've picked - Le Bernadin, Gemologist, Robert' Breach, Trinniberg, Amazombie! .
You needed positive reinforcement to get Trinniberg home? Really?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #153
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
So if I told you I won $100 million in the lottery this way, would you listen? Good Bye. You had your chance.
Wow!! Not only is he an expert handicapper he also is a lottery winner!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:40 PM   #154
riskman

This thread has gone the way of asking Saint Jude Thaddeus', the patron Saint of the impossible causes to intercede and give me a 50-1 long shot similar to Giacomo who sprang the second biggest upset in Derby history and produced a superfecta payoff of $864,253.

Amen.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:07 AM   #155
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskman
This thread has gone the way of asking Saint Jude Thaddeus', the patron Saint of the impossible causes to intercede and give me a 50-1 long shot similar to Giacomo who sprang the second biggest upset in Derby history and produced a superfecta payoff of $864,253.

Amen.
I had Giacomo. He figured to have excellent closing speed in a field where the early foot might collapse. His trainer John Shirriffs is an excellent horseman (he also trained Zenyatta) and Mike Smith was a competent rider.
From a Beyer numbers perspective he had to be long odds, but that closing kick ability made him an overlay with a better than his odds chance.

Last edited by Greyfox; 04-11-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 AM   #156
Blenheim
Race Player

You guys and gals have heard of the "zone" no?

You know, when the jump shot always seems to go in no matter where you shoot it from; the putt always seems to find the cup, even on the chip shot; the bat always seems to hit the ball, even the knuckler; every cast you make a fish seems to strike; and of course when you just seem to can't help but pick winner after winner and to your dismay when you discover you've picked the wrong horse at the wrong track, that horse still wins . Tiz the zone!

Have not we all been there . . . " in the zone?" I think most of us have been there - it exists but we can't find the words to describe it, science can't prove it, but most of us that have experienced it would agree such a "zone' exists.

Now imagine, if you can, being in partnership . . . in league with the zone. You know it is there, you know how to tap into it and can do so at will . . .

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 07:58 AM   #157
HUSKER55

yes I have. for example...I am in a zone right now!

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #158
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenheim
You guys and gals have heard of the "zone" no?

You know, when the jump shot always seems to go in no matter where you shoot it from; the putt always seems to find the cup, even on the chip shot; the bat always seems to hit the ball, even the knuckler; every cast you make a fish seems to strike; and of course when you just seem to can't help but pick winner after winner and to your dismay when you discover you've picked the wrong horse at the wrong track, that horse still wins . Tiz the zone!

Have not we all been there . . . " in the zone?" I think most of us have been there - it exists but we can't find the words to describe it, science can't prove it, but most of us that have experienced it would agree such a "zone' exists.

Now imagine, if you can, being in partnership . . . in league with the zone. You know it is there, you know how to tap into it and can do so at will . . .
I mentioned "being in the zone" in a previous post. Yes, most players experience this. One of the keys to being successful is to "stay in the zone" every time you play. That calls for positive attitude, and an inner strength that most players don't have. They get distracted, lose concentration, go "on tilt", etc., and make bad decisions. We have already stated that a positive attitude, and the ability to remain unemotional during our play, is imperative to making wise decisions.

It has nothing to do with any "fantastical" mind over matter crap. It's positive attitude, inner strength, and discipline. Some have it, but most don't, and are unwilling, or unable to do what is necessary to gain those things.

That's why there are winning gamblers and losing gamblers, even having the same skills otherwise.

Anyone who has been an athlete knows what I'm talking about. Anyone who has been in combat in the military knows what I'm talking about. Yes, it can be taught/learned but most don't have the discipline and intestinal fortitude to attain a high level of it. All the best coaching in the world won't do any good if your attitude and discipline stink.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 04-11-2012 at 08:34 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #159
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I don't call it the zone...i call it "having one of those days"...where it all goes right.
Happens about 4-5 times a year and i can never see it coming. Sometimes I've done exhaustive study and preparation and other days I've looked over the races for 20mins, and i just can't miss.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:07 AM   #160
Greyfox

"Comfort Zones and Fear of Winning"

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Yes, it can be taught/learned but most don't have the discipline and intestinal fortitude to attain a high level of it. All the best coaching in the world won't do any good if your attitude and discipline stink.

Agreed.
I've coached various sports teams on and off for many years.
Part of the difficulty that athletes encounter is what Coaches refer to as the "Comfort Zone."
The "Comfort Zone" is the level that the athlete has reached and he's comfortable with it.
For example, a golfer who normally shoots 87 finds himself on the golf course shooting the best round of his life. On the 18 th hole he suddenly realizes that he will break 80 if he pars in. But....this realization frightens him. He tightens up. Hits a bad shot, followed by another bad shot and ends up limping home with an 83. A good round for him yes. But the possibility of breaking 80 frightened him back to his "Comfort Zone."
Good coaches know that if they are going to improve their teams chances,
they also have to raise the "Comfort Zones" of their players.

Not an easy task for sure.
Self-concept and previous expectations have to be changed.
This involves getting at the root causes of "The Fear of Winning"
which is every bit as powerful, if not more so, than "The Fear of Losing."

Do "Comfort Zones" and "Fear of Winning" apply to horse players?
You betcha!
That's why if you want to be successful at this game you have to do a lot of painful personal analysis in addition to learning the fundamentals of Picking Winners.
Many players are just not interested in devoting that time and energy for that improvement. Hence, they become "Recreational Bettors" and are happy to remain that way. That's okay too. They're happy in that zone.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #161
WaHoo

this is a little off topic than you guys are posting,
it's about horse racing

After 40 years of handicapping, I thought i would try
ya'lls handicapping advise so i slept on Oaklawn racing form..
wrote down the first thing when i woke up...

Swans went in first swimming with a mother elephant
Sinatra's gang were angels with power
bet a sawbuck.

here's my bets
2nd race #3 swan paradise
3rd race #2 first in
4th race #4 Joanna's rat pack
6th race #3 demure Halo
7th race #5 bet the Power
8th race #3 Tensaw
9th race #1 Mamma kimbo
WaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 11:26 AM   #162
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaHoo
this is a little off topic than you guys are posting,
it's about horse racing

After 40 years of handicapping, I thought i would try
ya'lls handicapping advise so i slept on Oaklawn racing form..
wrote down the first thing when i woke up...

Swans went in first swimming with a mother elephant
Sinatra's gang were angels with power
bet a sawbuck.

here's my bets
2nd race #3 swan paradise
3rd race #2 first in
4th race #4 Joanna's rat pack
6th race #3 demure Halo
7th race #5 bet the Power
8th race #3 Tensaw
9th race #1 Mamma kimbo
Let us know how that works out for you.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #163
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
My question to Light would be:

Why even bother with horse racing at all...if our mind can be relied upon to secure for us a $100,000,000 lotto jackpot?
Irrespective of whether I believe what Light said about Mindful Thinking..or not.. (I don't subscribe to that idea - I still handicap, I work at creating apps, i do lab research, I market - that's how I plan to make the millions) .

One still needs to get on the boat if you want to be saved by God.

Reference (ahajokes)
Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #164
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Again,you are interjecting your misunderstanding of what I am saying.

The outcome of a race is decided by a power greater than anyone. For me to challenge that power and impose my will is futile. So you can rest assured I will not be using psychokinesis or mind bending powers any time soon.

Now let me tell you what I am talking about.(you could have asked). Consider this statement scientifically proven to be true.

"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

This is how those 2 people influenced the lottery. This is how you can influence the races. Again this is just a very small portion of what I am talking about.

Light.. it is not about two people who influenced anything. It is called REDBOARDING.. had they stated the amounts before they did that

and they are trying to make more or the person selling this 'concept" of conscious mindful thinking is trying to get more people into their CULT. Ok?

Of course, conscious dreaming + hard work will bring results. But just writing stuff and placing it below is the CLASSIC ENTITLEMENT behavior and it goes well with the "Abundant Universe" theory - where people just want the universe to give material things to them without working hard for it. usually beautiful women who misuse their beauty are well known for this...

The issue that people take with your criticism (baseless in many cases) is that you seem to just diss the hard work which people are putting and just dismiss it in one stroke. Does it make you happy? Then it just implies you are a sadist. Perhaps you just ought to make your 100 mill by writing numbers and quit bothering people with sadistic criticism

I will give you credit for one thing though, you explanations second time around are more relevant about the focus which people should get in their minds and that is a useful piece of advice in the general scheme.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #165
Light
Veteran

iceknight

I never revealed the "secret". Talking about the lottery winners with papers under their pillows was an introduction. Saying ""When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change" was an introduction.

If someone else said what I did, I would be curious and encouraged them to speak to hear what they have to say. Instead people here acted as if I was Frankenstein and they were the village idiots with their pitchforks and knives.Everyone assumed what I was saying or interjected their "fantasy" of what I was saying. I never got to say what I wanted to say.

I have experienced what I am talking about. But it is clear this miniscule audience is too immature to listen to anyone or anything beyond their concept of what is real.

Last edited by Light; 04-11-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply