Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.54 average.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #4156
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
OK, I'll ask...why are you spamming this? Are you not getting the reaction you had hoped for?
Watching now, will react shortly.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2016, 11:52 AM   #4157
pandy

Quote:
A question concerning the heat Trump is taking with his unemployment rate claims.

Why is he taking all this heat? Do people not understand he's talking about the REAL unemployment rate? You know, the rate all the BUSH BASHERS liked to talk about ON THIS VERY BOARD when GWB was president? We were constantly told how the official unemployment rate was bogus...even manufactured by the labor department...and the REAL unemployment rate (when you include those who have dropped out of the labor market altogether and are no longer actively seeking employment) was MUCH HIGHER.

THIS is what Trump is referring to...but for some reason, those very same liberals on the left who USED this VERY number when criticizing Bush, are now calling Trump a maniac for doing the EXACT SAME THING.

Explain this to me, if you could...preferably some of the liberals on this board, like horses4courses or maybe mostpost or hcap or anyone else who considers themselves left of center...
Trump has a tendency to exaggerate, but his basic premise is correct, the real unemployment rate is much higher.

As I'm nearing the age where I can collect social security, I find the entire situation of baby boomers retiring early very interesting. We have a few friends who took early retirement because they were offered an early retirement package -- their company wanted them out so they could hire a younger worker at a lower wage -- and then we also know others who lost their job and either took an early retirement, or went to work part time. There's no question that the recession forced millions of baby boomers into early retirement, or a shift from full to part time worker.

But I think this could potentially become a big problem for aging Americans. Although you are eligible to collect social security at 62, you can't get medicare until 65. With rising health care costs, anyone who retires at 62, the cost of your Obamacare monthly fee already wipes out half of your Social Security check, and ten years from now, it could be a wash. So I don't think you're going to see as many seniors taking an early retirement. They may be forced to try to stay fully employed until 65. But if you get another recession, and they lose their jobs, many could find themselves in a difficult situation where their entire social security check goes right back to the government to pay for the "Affordable" Health Care.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #4158
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
I have mixed feelings.

I think he's on the right side of more issues than any of the other candidates.

I think he's a bright enough guy.

however....

I think his rhetoric is way over the top and some of his solutions either not practical, unlikely to get passed even if the republicans have congress, or too extreme. I worry that because of all that, he won't get elected if he's the nominee. I also don't think he's been very detailed. He throws out a detail here or there, but most of time it's some variation of "it's going to be great". If you vote for him, a lot of it is on faith.
There are 277 pages or so of this thread that's about Donald Trump. In the first 100-200 or so posts there were regular posters who said Trump is a clown, is in it for the publicity, is not credible, is a joke, he'll never win, he won't last a month, he will get trounced once the primaries begin, etc.

Now, 7-8 months or so later, after a solid second and a smashing win in Iowa and NH, we are basically getting the same types of comments from the same posters... plus, in addition, they are now denouncing Trump supporters with names like sheeple, zenophobes, uneducated, ignorant, yada yada. Now, I will not name names here because I don't want people to think I am attacking them which I am not; that's simply not my style.

So, with the field now down to 5-6, and with my prediction of 2-3 more getting out after the SC primary, why would that be so soon in the cycle if Trump is so flawed and unelectable? I will tell you why, which is why the GOP as a major, national party is near death:

Donald Trump is the only candidate that appeals to conservatives, moderates, working class citizens, Democrat union men and women, and minorities, both black and hispanic.

None of the other GOP candidates are close in appealing to this wide swath of voters. Nor has there been a GOP candidate in recent years with similar appeals to many.

On jobs, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task when there are 95 million Americans not working? Or do you believe Jeb, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz... none of them ever created a single private sector job.

On appealing to moderates, Democrats and minorities, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task of getting some of their votes, or do you believe Cruz, Bush, Rubio will be more successful in getting that job done?

On illegal immigration
, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task in building a wall and stemming the invasion of illegals, or do you believe Bush, Kasich, Rubio, and even Cruz on this issue?

On conservatism
itself... think about this: Bush is on the wrong side on open borders and common core. Then add his father's and brother's very liberal economic policy and what do you get? A liberal. Kasich is also for common core, open borders, and he admitted himself to be more liberal on some issues than Hillary. Rubio is for open borders, amnesty, and is the phoniest of all the GOP candidates. Could any GOP voter even trust Rubio on any issue? I don't think so.

Could any Republican win a national election, an election that needs to be won by a Republican? To do this you need to garner votes from all corners. Is Cruz appealing to Democrats, liberals, and RINOs. I don't think so. Jeb Bush? No way at all. Kasich. Not if he thinks he has to out-Hillary Hillary, which he suggested in NH. Rubio? I don't think he'll ever escape Schumer's Gang of Eight shadow nor Christie's beat down.

RINO clowns like Bill Kristol, Karl Rove, Lindsay Graham and Rich Lowry have zero credibility so their bashing of Trump means nothing to anyone who takes politics seriously. And pertaining to Lowry, I'll remind everyone here that his mentor, William Buckley, said this: the GOP needs to nominate the most conservative candidate that could win a general election.

Trump is the only one that meets this important criteria. If the GOP establishment wants to win they need to attach their wagon to the only winning horse in the race.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #4159
pandy

Kasich and Rubio would appeal to moderates, but on the other points, I think you're right. Trump will do well with moderates and with old school, Reagan- democrats.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #4160
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
There are 277 pages or so of this thread that's about Donald Trump. In the first 100-200 or so posts there were regular posters who said Trump is a clown, is in it for the publicity, is not credible, is a joke, he'll never win, he won't last a month, he will get trounced once the primaries begin, etc.

Now, 7-8 months or so later, after a solid second and a smashing win in Iowa and NH, we are basically getting the same types of comments from the same posters... plus, in addition, they are now denouncing Trump supporters with names like sheeple, zenophobes, uneducated, ignorant, yada yada. Now, I will not name names here because I don't want people to think I am attacking them which I am not; that's simply not my style.

So, with the field now down to 5-6, and with my prediction of 2-3 more getting out after the SC primary, why would that be so soon in the cycle if Trump is so flawed and unelectable? I will tell you why, which is why the GOP as a major, national party is near death:

Donald Trump is the only candidate that appeals to conservatives, moderates, working class citizens, Democrat union men and women, and minorities, both black and hispanic.

None of the other GOP candidates are close in appealing to this wide swath of voters. Nor has there been a GOP candidate in recent years with similar appeals to many.

On jobs, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task when there are 95 million Americans not working? Or do you believe Jeb, Kasich, Rubio, Cruz... none of them ever created a single private sector job.

On appealing to moderates, Democrats and minorities, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task of getting some of their votes, or do you believe Cruz, Bush, Rubio will be more successful in getting that job done?

On illegal immigration
, do you believe Trump to be the best guy for that task in building a wall and stemming the invasion of illegals, or do you believe Bush, Kasich, Rubio, and even Cruz on this issue?

On conservatism
itself... think about this: Bush is on the wrong side on open borders and common core. Then add his father's and brother's very liberal economic policy and what do you get? A liberal. Kasich is also for common core, open borders, and he admitted himself to be more liberal on some issues than Hillary. Rubio is for open borders, amnesty, and is the phoniest of all the GOP candidates. Could any GOP voter even trust Rubio on any issue? I don't think so.

Could any Republican win a national election, an election that needs to be won by a Republican? To do this you need to garner votes from all corners. Is Cruz appealing to Democrats, liberals, and RINOs. I don't think so. Jeb Bush? No way at all. Kasich. Not if he thinks he has to out-Hillary Hillary, which he suggested in NH. Rubio? I don't think he'll ever escape Schumer's Gang of Eight shadow nor Christie's beat down.

RINO clowns like Bill Kristol, Karl Rove, Lindsay Graham and Rich Lowry have zero credibility so their bashing of Trump means nothing to anyone who takes politics seriously. And pertaining to Lowry, I'll remind everyone here that his mentor, William Buckley, said this: the GOP needs to nominate the most conservative candidate that could win a general election.

Trump is the only one that meets this important criteria. If the GOP establishment wants to win they need to attach their wagon to the only winning horse in the race.
Reckless, I have a question for you. You are so sure Trump is the one to win the presidency on the Republican side. What if he is the nominee and either Hillary or Sanders is the nominee on the Democratic side. Trump loses the general election, then what? What happens to the Republican party? To me it seems doomed. Do the Republicans have to move dramatically to the left to win the presidency in the future? I could understand Trump losing to Biden, who is likeable to most people. But Hillary or Sanders? What would be the solution to win again in the future, in your opinion. Thanks!!
Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #4161
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

The Republican party was declared dead and buried after Obama won the White House and the Democrats took both houses of Congress.

In fact, some non-Republicans on here proclaimed the party dead for the next century...at the very least.

Lo and behold, Republicans are back in control of Congress, just like that...

So anyone claiming the party is dead and buried after one or two election cycles isn't thinking clearly.

The attention span of Americans isn't all that long, and they are quite fickle...and Democrats have a knack for taking some things for granted, which winds up biting them in the ass down the road...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #4162
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Reckless, I have a question for you. You are so sure Trump is the one to win the presidency on the Republican side. What if he is the nominee and either Hillary or Sanders is the nominee on the Democratic side. Trump loses the general election, then what? What happens to the Republican party? To me it seems doomed. Do the Republicans have to move dramatically to the left to win the presidency in the future? I could understand Trump losing to Biden, who is likeable to most people. But Hillary or Sanders? What would be the solution to win again in the future, in your opinion. Thanks!!
I truly hope and pray the loathsome Hillary is the Democrat candidate. She's the easiest candidate for the GOP to defeat. But unless it is Trump, she can still win. Why? The rest of the GOP field aren't appealing to a national and diverse electorate -- some are dummies, like Bush; some are unlikeable like Cruz, and some are phonies, like Kasich and Rubio.

Also, aside from Cruz and possibly Rubio, the GOP mainstream candidates don't have the brains and the ballzs to go after her.

The GOP has tried to move left these past few elections and where has that gotten them?

No where. This is a two-prong battle for the heart, soul and salvation of the country. Conservatives and patriots are waging war at both the GOP cowards and weaklings and the hateful, corrupt liberals in the Democrat Party. This isn't as tough as people want to think. This isn't Napolean or Hitler going thru Russia in the dead of winter. These are conservatives and patriotic Americans against Hillary, Obama, Rove and Corporate America, and our side will not be denied.

Joe Biden is the only Democrat that has a chance to win because he knows how to win an election and he is likeable to a certain degree. Al Gore has a slim chance too but he's unlikely to jump in, and Mike Bloomberg has zero chance of beating Trump.

So, I hope and pray Hillary wins the Democrat nomination. With Bernie and Bloomy right behind her.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #4163
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Kasich and Rubio would appeal to moderates, but on the other points, I think you're right. Trump will do well with moderates and with old school, Reagan- democrats.
Yes, they both would appeal to moderates but the conservative core of the Republican base would reject them both, Bob. That's why they can't win a national election.

Mitt Romney did well with moderates in 2012 too but lost the conservative base because of Romney Care.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #4164
Clocker

Quote:
The attention span of Americans isn't all that long, and they are quite fickle...and Democrats have a knack for taking some things for granted, which winds up biting them in the ass down the road...
A lot of voters are not full time political junkies, but they are savvy enough to know that the government is screwed up, perhaps without being able to articulate the problems.

So after one party is in charge for 8 years and it is still business as usual, they decide it is time for a change and let the other guys have a shot at it. Rinse and repeat.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:44 PM   #4165
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
OK, I'll ask...why are you spamming this? Are you not getting the reaction you had hoped for?
Nah, just wondering if it was seen. I know it's a send-up of his book made by the "Hollywood Left".

Last edited by Nutz and Boltz; 02-13-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #4166
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
A lot of voters are not full time political junkies, but they are savvy enough to know that the government is screwed up, perhaps without being able to articulate the problems.

So after one party is in charge for 8 years and it is still business as usual, they decide it is time for a change and let the other guys have a shot at it. Rinse and repeat.
Yep. Both parties are incapable of not screwing it up after they take control.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:55 PM   #4167
sammy the sage

You're a mean one Mr. Trump...the video as follows is NSFW...enjoy..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9-5DJhBh6M
Old 02-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #4168
classhandicapper

I know all the polls are saying Trump won again, but I didn't think he had an especially good night. His tone had been shifting towards being more presidential, but last night he was back to being harsh in a way that will annoy some people.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:08 PM   #4169
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
last night he was back to being harsh in a way that will annoy some people.
You mean like about 65% of the voters?
Old 02-14-2016, 01:36 PM   #4170
Longshot6977

Ralph Kramden tells it like it is. This is a very funny short parody.

https://www.facebook.com/gorillapigs...3084667456000/
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply