Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 01-09-2024, 04:24 PM   #2311
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
December 16th, 2023, 6:54pm : "As a Steward who never rode I always valued speaking to the riders. Of course I expect them to advocate for their cause. However, I would often look at things from a different perspective based on what they'd say."

January 8th, 2024, 11:01pm : "We look at the horses as though they don't have jockeys on their backs. You're either sufficiently clear or you're not."

Meanwhile, you had the temerity to refer to my posting as nonsense.

Weak stewardship emerges where there is an inability to employ critical thinking skills and adjudicate rules consistently and in accordance with the rules of racing.
Ok, sounds good.

I've always wanted to have temerity.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:32 PM   #2312
dilanesp

Pretty controversial one in the last race at Santa Anita last Sunday (1/7). Three horses bouncing around bumping into each other; the outside horse ( ) took the worst of it, but they other two could have both been argued to be at fault. The stewards blamed the Captain Choochies for all of it and left the up as the winner.

Don't know how I feel about this one- it's like the Wild Again/Slew O' Gold/Gate Dancer situation where bumps beget more bumps. But that's what they did.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2024, 07:19 PM   #2313
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Pretty controversial one in the last race at Santa Anita last Sunday (1/7). Three horses bouncing around bumping into each other; the outside horse ( ) took the worst of it, but they other two could have both been argued to be at fault. The stewards blamed the Captain Choochies for all of it and left the up as the winner.

Don't know how I feel about this one- it's like the Wild Again/Slew O' Gold/Gate Dancer situation where bumps beget more bumps. But that's what they did.
I thought the 3 was the instigator and should have been DQed. The 2 I could go either way, he also caused some trouble. But to put the 3 first was wrong in my opinion.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-12-2024, 06:08 PM   #2314
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

A few more joke DQs today, one at FG and another at GG. The state of stewarding in this game right now is a dumpster fire.
Old 01-20-2024, 02:30 PM   #2315
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
A few more joke DQs today, one at FG and another at GG. The state of stewarding in this game right now is a dumpster fire.
Don't worry, the Golden Gate stewards won't be working there much longer.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2024, 06:08 PM   #2316
the little guy

https://www.drf.com/news/escobar-rep...stewards-stand
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2024, 06:32 PM   #2317
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Incredible news - while sorry for the individual (Hawkins), this does demonstrate that NYRA is hearing the questions being raised about the stewards stand and, in particular, the aftermath of "Brick Ambush-gate".

NYRA has taken action over the component that they directly control. Hopefully, this is a sign that discussions are also taking place with the other two organizations regarding a refresh of their appointees.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2024, 11:07 PM   #2318
SG4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Incredible news - while sorry for the individual (Hawkins), this does demonstrate that NYRA is hearing the questions being raised about the stewards stand and, in particular, the aftermath of "Brick Ambush-gate"

Could you explain your take on this considering the article clearly stated the steward who was fired was not part of the crew involved in the Brick Ambush race?
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2024, 12:03 AM   #2319
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
Could you explain your take on this considering the article clearly stated the steward who was fired was not part of the crew involved in the Brick Ambush race?
Interesting question, but my guess would be the Brick Ambush race was not the reason, but more a final straw in a longer term series of calls where this individual was involved. NYRA can only fire one steward. I seems most people feel that a different steward is the dominant one in the group and maybe some new blood can help ease that.
Old 02-03-2024, 08:59 AM   #2320
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
My take (as a complete outside observer) was that the Brick Ambush situation was the final straw in a series of questionable decisions from the NYRA stewards stand over the last two years with several high profile controversies taking place this summer.

These controversies have been well documented on America's Day at the Races and Saratoga Live with some of the harshest public criticisms (aside from this board) coming from on air talent.

NYRA wants to restore the wagering public's faith in the stewards stand as there likely have been dips in handle following these stewarding decisions.

To begin that process, NYRA fired their nominee, Brook Hawkins. Note that in-coming Steward Escobar has experience in both public transparency and Category 1 rules adjudication. I would not be surprised if requests were made to both the Jockey Club and the NYSGC to review their nominees in parallel.
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2024, 11:18 AM   #2321
v j stauffer

Quote:
Interesting question, but my guess would be the Brick Ambush race was not the reason, but more a final straw in a longer term series of calls where this individual was involved. NYRA can only fire one steward. I seems most people feel that a different steward is the dominant one in the group and maybe some new blood can help ease that.
You're right. It's a guess. Just happens to be a totally WRONG guess.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:26 AM   #2322
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
You're right. It's a guess. Just happens to be a totally WRONG guess.
Honestly, how would you know? I'd bet a lot of money I'm correct. And I'm more confident now than when I first posted this. And you chiming in ups that even further.

It is very similar to saying one tweet got a person fired, when in reality it was the final item on a list that wasn't short.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:31 AM   #2323
v j stauffer

Quote:
Honestly, how would you know? I'd bet a lot of money I'm correct. And I'm more confident now than when I first posted this. And you chiming in ups that even further.

It is very similar to saying one tweet got a person fired, when in reality it was the final item on a list that wasn't short.
I just said you were wrong. And I DO know. Going personal after that is in predictable form for you.

Hold your head high.
Old 02-29-2024, 12:34 PM   #2324
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I just said you were wrong. And I DO know. Going personal after that is in predictable form for you.

Hold your head high.
Vic, here's some news for you. You're bitter and washed up.

CJ is one of the nicest guys here, so accusing HIM of "going personal" is so ridiculous. Luckily I'm not a nice guy so I don't care what a hack like you thinks. Go mald somewhere.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-29-2024, 12:56 PM   #2325
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
Vic, here's some news for you. You're bitter and washed up.

CJ is one of the nicest guys here, so accusing HIM of "going personal" is so ridiculous. Luckily I'm not a nice guy so I don't care what a hack like you thinks. Go mald somewhere.
CJ is one of the few people you can actually say has made, and continues to make, the game better. He's also without question one of the nicest people in the game and in general.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply