Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-17-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Doc

Finally! The perfect way to get new customers!

From Laurel Park press release today:

"Friday will be “Guys Day Out” with free admission to Laurel Park for all men, 2-for-1 draft beers and a chance to win tickets to a Washington Wizards or Washington Capitals game."

Gotta love those 2-for-1 draft beers! Why haven't other tracks thought of this?

Doc

Last edited by Doc; 11-17-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Ron

In New York we are not allowed to have drink specials anymore. New law.
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
In New York we are not allowed to have drink specials anymore. New law.
I see you are from Albany. I grew up there and still call it home. I remember back in the 90's they were trying to outlaw "happy hours". Must have been the drinking and driving issue. PS: what Laurel is doing is great.
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
harnesslover
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc

"Friday will be “Guys Day Out” with free admission to Laurel Park for all men, 2-for-1 draft beers and a chance to win tickets to a Washington Wizards or Washington Capitals game."

Doc
A CHANCE TO WIN tickets to an NHL or NBA game? That's like winning a prize of getting kicked in the nuts.
harnesslover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2007, 05:13 PM   #5
bane

..The Caps are fun to watch this year.
bane is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #6
point given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc

Doc
Maybe the first lawsuit from a car wreck where the offender just came from Laurel, stinkin drunk and killed someone. The track would be plastered all over the news and sued.

Someone in marketing must have remembered their college beer blast days, but that was in the 60's, 70's, before MADD.

I guess Magna is looking for some publicity to take the focus off the $400 million in losses for the past few years.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
harnesslover
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
Maybe the first lawsuit from a car wreck where the offender just came from Laurel, stinkin drunk and killed someone. The track would be plastered all over the news and sued.

Someone in marketing must have remembered their college beer blast days, but that was in the 60's, 70's, before MADD.

I guess Magna is looking for some publicity to take the focus off the $400 million in losses for the past few years.
If you're gonna get drunk, you're gonna get drunk.. Won't take a 2 for 1 deal to get there.
harnesslover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #8
john del riccio

I think free parking, admission, and program would be a better deal.

John
john del riccio is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Doc

Philly Park offers free admission and parking, the program's cheap, and business is in the toilet.

Any other ideas? How about Hooters girls as pari-mutuel clerks? Gives new meaning to the term "hot tips" !!
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
jma

While we can debate the logic of charging admission to a place that wants you to gamble, it's not the $3 admission fee that is causing low track attendance. The Yankees are charging $300 for two of their best seats and the place was packed every game last season. There are a lot of other factors at work.

Enough of this money talk---where are my two beers?
  Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #11
eastie
Double Secret Probation

how about if they opened the track to women only all morning before the races and gave them 2 for 1 drinks, then let the men in after the double.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc

Doc
You have to be careful not to underestimate management's plan, and their thinking with this offering.

They know, so, therefore, they hope: The more beer you drink, the dumber you will get; consequently, making more mistakes in your handicapping and your wagering.

The track's pools will be greater, courtesy of your impairment.

It's never wise to consume many beers when betting on horses. The term, tap readily comes to mind in more ways than one.

The 2-for-1s are a good PASS.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
how about if they opened the track to women only all morning before the races and gave them 2 for 1 drinks, then let the men in after the double.
See my prior post.

Women are NEVER that stupid. Seriously, never!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
point given

perfect logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by harnesslover
If you're gonna get drunk, you're gonna get drunk.. Won't take a 2 for 1 deal to get there.
Surely you jest, 2 for 1 will not increase the likelyhood of having more on track customers drunk when they leave? Back to the cave, knuckle dragger.
point given is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #15
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
Surely you jest, 2 for 1 will not increase the likelyhood of having more on track customers drunk when they leave? Back to the cave, knuckle dragger.
Point, there is some validity to Harness Lover's point. The professional drunks are the dangerous ones. And they will find a way no matter what. The State Highway Patrol in Ohio did some studies and found that "Happy Hour" had very little effect on the people who are real threats when it comes to drunk driving. That is why Happy Hour is still legal in Ohio. It came down to portioning out your income based on your priorities. Happy Hour just gives the true threats a little extra pocket change........the effect on the amount they drink was negligible.