Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
depalma113

Santa Anita is a joke again!

The horse wires the field with those fractions. Typical Santa Anita garbage. Screw the Breeders Cup!
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
Is it back to that weird condition from January 2001 where :20 and :41 doesn't die in the stretch?
Old 11-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
camourous

Racing would rather have good weather so they can gouge the customers that show up than put on a fair racing event.
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

Hard to bet with both fists and confidence when you see that.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Yet I've heard a self-proclaimed "top East Coast conditioner" claim the Breeder's Cup should be permanently staged at this dump.

Go figger.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
goatchaser

Damn Santa Anita!! They should have not rolled the track. Should have left it open so we could have a Heavy / MuddyTrack today. They probably even Ordered the rain for Last night and this morning. DAMN YOU SANTA ANITA!!
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatchaser
Damn Santa Anita!! They should have not rolled the track. Should have left it open so we could have a Heavy / MuddyTrack today. They probably even Ordered the rain for Last night and this morning. DAMN YOU SANTA ANITA!!
The track is supposed to be like umpires/refs in sports, they should blend into the backround and you should just notice the athletes.

Unfortunately, this is "track racing" and not horse racing.

The conventional handicapping process can be thrown out the window with the rest of the trash.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
pandy

Agree. This is a joke.

I would imagine that Bayern and Moreno may get into a speed duel. If you are on either one of those horses you have to try to get the lead.

This is one of the many problems with speed biased tracks on big days like this. I know that last year some people on here said stuff like, "who cares if the track favors speed, just bet the speed..."

Yeah, that works in claiming races on regular days but on a day like this, the bias could create some bizarre and unanticipated speed duels, and horses that sit just behind the speed will win, but good luck figuring out which stalker gets lucky.

I picked Stonetastic today, thinking that he can wire the field, but the bias may actually hurt him, because in a sprint I would think that he'll still get the lead but he'll probably have much more pressure than he would have normally, so a stalker may trip out.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Another speed horse, went right around there, nobody tried to beat her, they ran this like a harness qualifier, single file.

The way to "make money" on BC day is to pass the BC and bet other tracks, take advantage of the increased pools on everyday, overnight type races. Those tracks dont have "Special rules" where the 72 hour security barns just add a handicapping element that is a complete guess, i dont mind betting on honest races, but if the other 364 the races are "business as usual" what good does it do me to have clean races 1 day of the year?

Also, this is the Breeders/Horsemen/Owners cup, its the day where the participants get to become much richer while the bettors get no "break" in takeout rates and pay 20s and 40s just to get into the doors.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
Yet I've heard a self-proclaimed "top East Coast conditioner" claim the Breeder's Cup should be permanently staged at this dump.

Go figger.
Speed is the universal track bias.

And Santa Anita is no dump. Considering it is 78 years old, it is an amazingly fan friendly facility.

And if you want more consistent surfaces, we can always try synthetics again. Want that?

Finally, it's not as though you will get more consistent tracks by racing at places with bad weather.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
pandy

You're right, this is exactly why harness racing's handle on half and five eighth tracks has evaporated.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #12
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Speed is the universal track bias.

And Santa Anita is no dump. Considering it is 78 years old, it is an amazingly fan friendly facility.

And if you want more consistent surfaces, we can always try synthetics again. Want that?

Finally, it's not as though you will get more consistent tracks by racing at places with bad weather.
If horses go "too fast" they're supposed to get tired and the closers are supposed to swoop up. But that doesn't happen at this place, doesn't matter how fast you go, the closers won't come and get you. At other places they do, here they don't.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:59 PM   #13
goatchaser

I'm never going to understand People who play the races. When I stink it up I stink up. I never blame the Track. You see how it's playing. So adjust to it. I'm hard Headed like a lot of horse Players. Yes The Breeders Cup should be about the Horses. But I think it's also about Making Money. You have two nice Prices so far. Hope someone made some money. I didn't.

You do know if it was a fair track and all Fav's won. We would be hearing how Chalky the day was.
goatchaser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 04:00 PM   #14
MadWorld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If horses go "too fast" they're supposed to get tired and the closers are supposed to swoop up. But that doesn't happen at this place, doesn't matter how fast you go, the closers won't come and get you. At other places they do, here they don't.
Take that information and bet accordingly
MadWorld is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadWorld
Take that information and bet accordingly
Here's the problem. The information that i've already spent time accumulating is useless. I want to be able to use THAT information. I spend plenty of time on replays making trip notes and other stuff and i don't do that so i can throw it out the window and bet on the horse i THINK is going to get the lead in the first 3 strides of the race.